Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Quick RAM question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 01 Jun 2006    Post subject: Quick RAM question Reply with quote

I've got 2GB of DDR400 in my PC, 1GB is OCZ dual channel stuff, and the other GB is some non dual channel Hynix. After reading some info on my processor (Opteron 146) it says it has an onboard DDR controller.

Now my question is, do you reckon my setup would run better with just the 1GB of dual channel, so that the on-board controller can use it more effectively? Obviously with the Hynix in as well the OCZ stuff doesn't run dual channel.

It's far from slow at the minute, but I was just wondering whether it could actually make a difference.

Cheers.

T1z3R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 01 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not up on all the latest DDR stuff but im sure it wouldnt hurt to try it out Thumbs Up Cool

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 01 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The non dual channel will slow the dual channel memory down, so it will be running at 3200 and not 6400. Although even if you do remove the non dual channel memory there won't be that much of a difference.

I can't even tell the difference between PC133 and PC2700!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 01 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at the moment it runs 64-Bit (single channel) rather than the 128 DC. I must admit I didn't notice a great difference with dual channel before, but I wondered if the memory controller would make a difference.

Cheers.

edd
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:50 - 01 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the ram in your system will run at the same speed. For me at least there was a huge difference moving from SD ram to DDR 400 both were a gigs worth. i dont think youll ever need 2gb of ram anyways so if i were you id take the extra slower ram out.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 01 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

edd wrote:
all the ram in your system will run at the same speed. For me at least there was a huge difference moving from SD ram to DDR 400 both were a gigs worth. i dont think youll ever need 2gb of ram anyways so if i were you id take the extra slower ram out.

You say that, but when I play BF2 it uses over a GB on it's own. I use FreeRAM XP Pro and on the desktop it will usually say 1760 odd MB free, when I go into BF2 and tab out that drops to about 600MB free.

Shocked

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 03:05 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual channel is a function of the motherboard NOT the memory. If you search I did a big post about this a few months ago and posted a full reply from crucial explaining the ins and outs.

I stick of memory will not work in dual channel and it doesn't double the speed of your memory.

You haven't said if your MB does dual channel or not?

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:41 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Dual channel is a function of the motherboard NOT the memory. If you search I did a big post about this a few months ago and posted a full reply from crucial explaining the ins and outs.

I stick of memory will not work in dual channel and it doesn't double the speed of your memory.

Although you are correct in part you cannot use DDR memory on a motherboard that will only take sd memory (they are physically different slot types).

As said above, the memory will work at the speed of the lowest pair.

If you look on your motherboard at the memory slots you will notice (assuming you have four slots) 2 slots of one colour and two of another you need to make sure that a matched pair are in slots of the same colour and then they will work in dual channel (although it is always best to try to make sure all 4 sticks are the same dual channel ddr works fine when they aren't (some motherboards are more fussy with memory specifics then others)).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:45 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflex wrote:
edd wrote:

You say that, but when I play BF2 it uses over a GB on it's own. I use FreeRAM XP Pro and on the desktop it will usually say 1760 odd MB free, when I go into BF2 and tab out that drops to about 600MB free.

Shocked

Vista reccomends a minimum of 1 gig of memory... would like to see what every day running of it is compared to windows xp (usual around 250 mb)...

BF2, have seen that around 8/900 meg before.

High video encoding can use memory upto the gig mark.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

The whole reason I bought the motherboard was because it supported dual channel DDR.

I know that having non DC RAM in will mean the whole lot runs at 64-Bit instead of 128, it was that I didn't notice a huge difference with the 1GB (2 x 512MB) of dual channel on it's own, so I stuck in the other GB of non DC stuff I had. I noticed yesterday that my CPU has an on-board DDR controller, so I wondered if it would make a difference.

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to check in your BIOS. Depending on how many memory slots you have, it should show (for 4 slots) Channel A slot 0, Channel A slot 1, Channel B slot 0, Channel B slot 1. You need to put matching speed/size RAM into the same slot number, so Channel A and B slot 0 for dual channel to work.

The reason it is called dual channel is because it accesses both memory channels at the same time, so it gives 128bit access. If they are not matched, or in the same channel, the memory will be read sequentially and at only 64bit.

Like said, it is a motherboard function. The type of memory has nothing to do with it, although the pair will need to be the same size, speed and latency for it to work. That's why they are often sold as matched pairs.

Reflex wrote:
I know that having non DC RAM in will mean the whole lot runs at 64-Bit instead of 128

No, all memory runs at 64bit. It is how it is accessed by the northbridge that turns it into 128bit. It's actually 2x64bit, not 1x128bit.

Last edited by fuzz on 11:10 - 02 Jun 2006; edited 1 time in total

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Dual channel is a function of the motherboard NOT the memory.

I dont get that, how come they sell RAM as "Dual Channel matched pair, tested".

If it was a motherboard feature than all RAM you stuck in of the same size and clock speed would run Dual Channel surely? I spent over £100 on 2 sticks of RAM that were tested as a matched pair to run dual channel. The other 2 sticks of RAM I have are exactly the same, yet they dont run dual channel.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

People, I KNOW how to setup Dual Channel, I KNOW what it means.

My question was whether or not the DDR controller on my CPU would utilise it more effectively.

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are sold as dual channel matched pair because they have been tested as identical. If you find two different manufactured sticks and they run at exactly the same speed and latency, they wil run in dual channel mode. Buying in matched pairs assures you that they will run in DC. Two different sticks might have a different CAS latency, for example, even though they state the same speeds.

Where the motherboard states it supports dual channel DDR, it means it can run DDR in dual channel mode, not that you can put dual channel DDR in it.

As to your question, only the DDR controller on the motherboard will utilise it. There is no other controller.

Last edited by fuzz on 11:36 - 02 Jun 2006; edited 1 time in total

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzz wrote:

Where the motherboard states it supports dual channel DDR, it means it can run DDR in dual channel mode, not that you can put dual channel DDR in it.

What the fuck?

https://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_8796_8799,00.html

I would like to point out the part where it says "Integrated DDR memory controller".

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF has that got do with what I said?

If you read it properly, I said it runs memory in dual channel mode, you do not put dual channel memory in the slot.

On the CPU, it means it can access the memory directly. It supports dual channel mode. The memory controller usually resides in the northbridge on the motherboard. On this model it resides in the CPU. It will most likely do this automatically, but there may be a setting in the BIOS.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 02 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

djr wrote:

Although you are correct in part you cannot use DDR memory on a motherboard that will only take sd memory (they are physically different slot types).

No I'm correct in TOTAL. I haven't mentioned SD memory so not really sure what you're talking about.

djr wrote:

As said above, the memory will work at the speed of the lowest pair.

Not in dual channel as the memory needs to be sets. If you had four slots for dual channel memory and used memory of different speeds it wouldn't work in dual channel.

When I say sets it isn't quite right for example on each channel on my mobo I can run ! double sided and one single sided but for dual channel I have to mirror whats on one channel with the same in the other. All MUST be the same speed.

I hate being mis-quoted. Wink

lanester
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:16 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the latest AMD chips have an onboard memory controler so the RAM is used more efficiently

Read this to understand that more fully (Anandtech is a good source for component info)
https://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=1815&p=6

Hope that helps with your on-die memory controler question
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 329 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1