Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

motorbikes banned!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Re: bike ban Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Short tyre life, frequent servicing, poor fuel consumption (especially when you consider the number of people they carry on average) and dire emissions all contribute.

With all the modern car engine technology around today you'd think bikes would have kept up but bike technology has stood still in comparison. I'd like to see 100mpg and 300 mile tank ranges but unless the bike manufacturs hands are forced they will continue to sell us old technology...

Thumbs Down

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:48 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not so much stood still, just moved in a totally different direction to the car world. In the past 20 years bikes have become a hell of a lot more powerful (~50% more for the same engine capacity), yet cars haven't (eg, mid 80s Alfa 75 2L TS was 148hp, 156 2L is around 150~155hp).

At least bikes have got lighter, unlike cars which have so many safety features that their weights have gone through the roof. For example, an Alfasud weighed 862kg, its modern equivalent is the 147 weights around 1200kg.

All the best

Keith

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that in terms of performance bike engines are more powerful, but how exactly has the design of the engine changed dramatically over the years? We're still raving about large capacity IL4's that can trace their design back to the 70's...

Surely a DiTech engine would be a definitive step that registers far more than bhp increase..

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:16 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There have been lots of small improvements. A lot of that taking advantage of modern bearings, etc, allowing engines to be more compact. Fuel injection is appearing on bikes (although still generally crude systems). Trouble is that any new technology needs to be far better just to try and make up for ~100 years worth of development of conventional 4 stroke engines. For example a wankel rotary engine may well have some advantages (has some pretty big disadvantages as well, such as a lousy combustion chamber shape) but it would take billions of pounds to get it to the same stage of development as the normal 4 stroke attained in WW2.

The amount spent on developing bike engines is peanuts really, compared to the car world (and plenty of car companies are financially very poor). For an old example, Aprilia talked about spending £6m developing the Amica around 1990 (first scooter with a catalytic converter), compared to getting on for £1b to develop a new car. All the makers can really afford to do is some minor tweaks each year and paint it a new colour scheme, or add some other fashion statement such as an underseat exhaust.

Many of the makers are proud of their new cast frames for bikes. Bet the real reason for using these is that they are dirt cheap to produce compared to a fabricated frame.

Personally I suspect that in the none too distant future most cars will be bought and sold like washing machines or cookers, with most people not really giving a damn about them. Bikes will be similar. With premium priced ranges of both that most of us will not be able to afford.

All the best

Keith

tonyyzf
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:25 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, first off, its not true, I've read the dept of transport remit on motorcycling and they seriously intend to improve things regarding bikes and rider training.

Now, if you were a person who hated bikes how would you go about getting rid of them, lets see, I know! why don't we do a press release telling everybody they're gonna be banned in 2020, by the year 2015 nobody will buy one cos they'd be frightened that they wouldn't be able to get rid of it by 2020. By the year 2020 bikes sales would have dropped so dramatically that the importers would have given up and moved onto something else.

Don't believe everything you read, especially the s*** that MCN use to sell papers, I refuse to buy it on that basis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PanEuro1100
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Motorbikes Banned!!!! Reply with quote

Not a chance in hell they should ban BMW, Volvo and White van men
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mez
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:41 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they should take action against car and lorry drivers instead of attempting to ban bikers.

I seriously think that when a driver reaches a certain age and/or a certain amount of points on their license, they should be required to re-take their driving test. Also, there should be harsher penalties for speeders, hit and run drivers, etc.

A perfect example would be my mum. On the 16th of September 2002, my mum was hit by a speeding car just at the bottom of our street as she was waiting to cross the road, resulting in a broken leg. While the paramedics were preparing to move her from the road, we heard that the driver was infact a fireman changing into his uniform at the wheel. What did he get for it? 3 points on his license and a 300 quid fine. He should have been taken off the road for a year at least.

Four years later, and my mum still has an ilizarov frame on her lower right leg. Several times, the drivers insurance company have asked my mum to travel 150+ miles, just to prove that she really suffers from resulting injuries. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lee125
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

base wrote:
ok lets look at this, first they ban bikes what happens to yamaha suzuki kwak honda? and every other manufacturer? retailers? racing? all the people employed in the biking industry .......................never going to happen

i agree there is no chance what so ever they can do that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Raffles_Gentleman Thug
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:47 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy C wrote:
i cant see them banning motorbike altoghther though, a lot of people use them as transport to work and their main form of transport, it wasnt like hand pistals go anyone to work and largly due to shooting in large cities that they got banned, really unfair IMO as a lot of very responsable people spend there spare time collecting guns and shooting.

i say that i think a maximum BHP will come in as i think it only a matter of time before europe have a uniform road laws and i think that France has a maximum BHP and will might conform to that, this is only my opion though and they could ban all bike of the roads. i doubt it though

A 100bhp law could be the best thing ever to happen to biking in the UK.

Reason being?

All modern 600s are around the 100bhp mark at the back wheel.

If a limit came in, instead of silly outputs manufacturers would simply bring out a 100bhp 120kg bike within the year, that would be as fast and much more agile and fun.

So I say bring it on.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree,

I'm still looking forward to developments to the 125cc 4 stroke engine now two strokes are banned.

BorderHooner
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:15 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What needs to be done, is to ban stupid people from roads.

That goes for bikers and all other transport users.

Heavier penalties for endorsements and convictions. More stringent training and testing. Make all licence holders retake theory and hazard perception tests if they passed before they came in and make annual testing of theory and hazard perception compulsory.

More road safety awareness for pedestrians and in schools, more restrictive cubic capacity for less experienced road users - or compulsory advanced training for higher cubic capacity - on all transport.

Banning bikes will never happen - banning all stupid people from the road will work though.

oh, and ban all this in car gadgetry

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigie b wrote:
don't kids yourselfs. Smoking is now being banned, for the interest of peoples 'health'. The more we let the government 'take care of us' then the more likely we will see more 'dangerous' activities being outlawed, for our own protection.

Not to start a fight.
Smoking was affecting Others who choose not to smoke.
It is a 'freedom' issue.
Motorcycling is a more personal thing. Unless of course the riders poor equipment spec and riding behaviour come into the equation

brad
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:43 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoking is being out lawed and is illegal in places alcohol may be next then Big cars, sex, motorbikes, breathing and walking the streets. we may as well all shoot our selves with illegal guns now

SilvaRizla
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:26 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about banning cars? If there were no cagers on the road there would be a lot less bike deaths

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw that, I want the choice. Why limit things when there is simply no need to.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 25 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilvaRizla wrote:
How about banning cars? If there were no cagers on the road there would be a lot less bike deaths

Tell me how I would carry several of these on a bike, lol Laughing
https://www.integrakom.com.pl/images/x346.jpg

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:04 - 25 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
...Tell me how I would carry several of these on a bike, lol Laughing
https://www.integrakom.com.pl/images/x346.jpg

Very Happy that's easy.
One of these will do that...
https://www.seewer.com/reise/images/gwtrail.jpg

In my defence you didn't say what bike Wink Very Happy

P.S. As an aside does anyone remember the advert a while back that showed traffic all jamed up and the only vehicle moving was a bike filtering through it Very Happy Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:55 - 04 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Future King of England is a biker, he might have summit to say along with millions of others.
Nuff said Mr. Green

skelly
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:11 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they do every biker needs to meet up somewhere and all of them should go on a big ride all over britain Laughing Twisted Evil

i don't think it will happen though, hopefully Confused

mr_pete
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:55 - 07 Jun 2006    Post subject: EU proposes banning all bikes that aren't single-cylinder.. Reply with quote

"EU proposes banning all bikes that aren't single-cylinder automatics under 650cc."

https://www.bmf.co.uk/press/2006/press366.html

scampypants
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:50 - 08 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont trust a polititian who gets sacked from a health service ministerial job for saying that people with alzhiemers can get better,while giving a in a speech to nurses what a cnut. this guy is now a transport minister what chance has anybody in a vehicle got
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6