Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sidestand Engine Kill

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 18:13 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Sidestand Engine Kill Reply with quote

Alright guys,

Just wondered if any of you have found a solution to the sidestand engine auto kill. Basically meaning when you put the sidestand down it kills the endine, and when the bike is on the stand you can't start it. It really pisses me off because with it being a 2 choke (yes 2 choke, you'll understand if you followed my mates RS50 Laughing) you need to let it warm up so it gives me 3 options......sit on the bike for 10 mins letting it warm up.......buy a rear paddock stand.......or 3.....get the thing to stop auto killing the engine!!!

Plz help guys, I need to know how to stop this happening.....

Cheers

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 18:24 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried putting it into neutral??

My bike quite happily sits on my side stand and warms up.
I thinks there is a problem somewhere?!?! ...or i am just not understanding you correctly?!?!? Confused

Last edited by Viper on 18:26 - 11 Apr 2002; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 18:24 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can warm it up by reving it in netrual or just ride it cold gently, the feature is meant to stop you driving off with it down trying to take a turn and ending up cartwheeling
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 18:29 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

I know you can rev it in neutral, but that's not my point. I wanna be able to start the bike up, leave it to warm up while I go and get my leathers on, then go and jump on it.

It says in the manual there is a sidestand cut out, but what I am saying is, how do I remove it so this doesn't happen.

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 18:32 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

mate, you dont understand, you turn the bike on leave it in neutral with the sidestand down with the choke on if it needs it, that will warm up the bike, now you go get in your leathers and come back to a warmed up machine... leaving it ticking over in 1st with no sidestand while you got put the leathers on would be funny Smile come back to a bike on its side about 2 meters infront of where you left it

matt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 18:33 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Right so when my stand is down I can't start the bike AS CIT SAYS IN THE MANUAL, when you put the stand down if the engine is running it cuts out AS IT SAYS IN THE MANUAL, so come on the mr know it all how do you get the bike to keep ticking over on the stand.....

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 18:34 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err...the sidestand feature is actually a safety feature...you're supposed to make that it works, not disable it!

Quote:
I know you can rev it in neutral, but that's not my point. I wanna be able to start the bike up, leave it to warm up while I go and get my leathers on, then go and jump on it.

What stops you from doing that now?...once you've jumped on it, kick the sidestand up, kick into first and off you go!...you surely can't be that lazy?
...actually, I'm starting to get confused now...you can't keep the bike idling in first gear unless you have the clutch in anyway!...unless you're gonna gaffa tape it...

Tin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mole
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:35 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoob,

Have you got it right mate?

The side stand engine kill is there to prevent you activating the stand when the bike is in gear!

Ie: With the bike in neutral and the neutral light on (not just in neutral, cos sometimes the light wont come on if you are just on the edge) the bike should start with the stand down.

With the engine running the bike will stop if you are still in gear! If you aint and you are in neutral with the neutral light on, it will let put the stand down!

Mole

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:35 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

You should be able to leave it wariming up in neautral... with the choke on it shouldn't die.

If you really want to stop the auto-kill there should be a switch/cable going to the frame end of the stand. (Sorry can't be bothered to go downstirs and check exactly where) You just need to disconnect/cut this and it should disable it.

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 18:36 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry how long have you owned abike your cracking me up Smile

LEAVE IT IN NEUTRAL! the sidestand wont cut the engine if the bikes in neutral, it only cuts out if your in gear

go out side try it now mate

matt

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 18:38 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

No in my manual it says with the sidestand down you cannot start the bike. It has to be up to be able to start it. This is all in neutral by the way. If I start the bike with the stand up (whilst in neutral yet again, obviously) then put the stand down the engine cuts out. This is exactly what it says in the manual, so I dunno why mines different.

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 18:40 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

very very strange, the bike should run with the stand down in neutral fine, give us the details of your bike mate

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man. This guy's funny!
when it's not in gear (neautal-clever Smile ) and the bike's sitting there on it's stand the bike will start.
when it's in gear and sitting there on it's stand it will not start.
when not running with that stand up but in gear it will only start if you pull the clutch in.
how about you go read that precious manual of yours again? then again, it's probably one of the many bits in the manual that have been VERY badly translated!

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 18:44 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok test this

put the bike in neutral on the sidestand, shown with a green light, try to start it, it should work fine.

now try putting up the sidestand keeping the bike in neutral at all times, then put the sidestand down again without changing gear be very careful with this, it should stay on if not somethings wrong.

matt

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 18:44 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: righto jo Reply with quote

Its a 2001 Y reg UK bike.

Ok I am not totally stupid you know I don't try and start the bike when it's in gear you inbread (milo). Ok listen one more time......bike in neutral, stand down, bike won't start. Bike in neutral, stand up, bike starts.

Don't come back with your lame comments about how I don't know how to start a bike, this is not what I am saying, I am asking why the bike is doing this. =

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 18:47 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok your saying milo is surrounded by bread Smile inbred is the correct term mate.

if its 2001 y model same as mine it should stay on with the stand down in neutral, if it doesnt something is wrong mate

matt

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 18:50 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: ok cheers Reply with quote

Ok cheers mate, I'll have to go have a close look at it.

P.s. Ok I'll change my 'inbread' comment, to saying he is a muppet, which I know damn right it spelt right Laughing

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 18:50 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please stop. This is getting too funny!!
I'm the library, people think i'm laughing to myself!!!

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol
if you've had the bike under 3 months then the chances are you can take it back to your dealer (if that's where you got it) and get them to sort it out. otherwise there's a problem. if the neutral light shows then there's not a problem with the sensor and it should be fine. if it doesn't then you know there's a problem
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:53 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: ok cheers Reply with quote

Does your neutral light work?.. There's probably a broken connection so that the 'kill' circuit can't tell if the bike's in neutral or not.

If it's a 2001 model it should be covered by the warranty.

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 18:54 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying to work out what could be wrong, check that the neutral light stays on all the time when you put the stand down even slightly clicking out could cut the engine, also try just having the bike sitting in neutral with the sidestand down and attempt to start it with choke on

if both of them dont work then im not sure what it could be sorry.

matt

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 18:56 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Neutral light is fine. Just one question, I bought the bike from a dealer who had bought it damaged off the previous keeper. Does the warranty automatically shift to me??? I have no warranty documents???

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 18:58 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he sold it to you as fully working and didnt tell you about the fault, he lawfully has to fix it, what warrenty documents do you have? the original owners or the ones from the dealer?

matt

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the standard warranty for all UK honda bikes is 2 years unlimited mileage. take it to a honda dealer, they won't worry about how you got it cos they'll get paid by honda in the end
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1