Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

R1 Engine strip and rebuild

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 19:55 - 10 Jan 2006    Post subject: R1 Engine strip and rebuild Reply with quote

hello,

was telling some peeps on chat the other night about an r1 that i was re-building from the crank up due low oil pressure damaging the big end bearings and the cams.

Most of the parts have arrived now so i started on it today, heres a few pics... gunna take me most of the week to finish so ill take new pics daily.

this is just the early stages of the bottom end, putting the cleaned up pistons in to the bore with new rings and bearings on both the big ends and the mains. And getting the crank attached.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SimonB
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:06 - 10 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can just imagine how pissed you would be if you hit that table by accident and all the bits went flying. Tell you what thought I wouldn't fancy doing that i'd be worried I’d lose something.

Nice pics by the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 10 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice always wanted to know what a R1 beast of a motor looked like Thumbs Up ..

bet whenyou put it back together you have bits left over i always do Laughing

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:12 - 10 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 valve - is that 3 inlet 2 exhaust, or 2 inlet 3 exhaust?

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 20:13 - 10 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

riichy wrote:

bet whenyou put it back together you have bits left over i always do Laughing

I bet his customer hopes he doesn't. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 20:18 - 10 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb-zxr wrote:
20 valve - is that 3 inlet 2 exhaust, or 2 inlet 3 exhaust?

3 inlet 2 exhaust mate.

when it was first taken apart the table was knocked over Evil or Very Mad luckily only the flywheel was on it at the time

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 'table' look like a piece of board sat on top of a cardboard box...

Surely your work can afford to buy you something a little bit more substantial than that, then things won't get knock off quite so easily. Confused Wink
HurtMePlease This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 21:34 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah adam it basically is Laughing it actually sat on two oil drums, so its nt going anywhere, problem is the bike itself is on 1 bench, and the engine/componants are on another.

been there for 2 weeks or so now, so we need the other bench for other work.

work update.
Attached the bottom case today didnt get much more done due to a st1100 limping in needing work. will have pics tomorrow

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:09 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

How often do you have to do rebuilds like that? If there was a major engine failure of a new bike under warrenty, would Yamaha pay for the engine to be fixed or just supply a new engine / bike?

All the best

Keith

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 22:22 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm yamaha generally will pay for every damaged componant, if is was an oil pump failure for instance it would probably end up being a whole new engine, but i would still need to do the damage report componant by componant.

recent examples of this is the wildstar which was released with a fault in the gear box which would cause to the gear selector forks to break.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:26 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Ouch, sounds like they are gluttons for punishment.

All the best

Keith

Aggets R1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:47 - 10 Jun 2006    Post subject: Inside an R1 Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

My 2003 R1 is in at the shop again. I purchased bike second hand (third owner) and rode it trouble free 7000 klms (total 14,500 klms) when a noise developed and I took it to the shop. They stripped it and $5K later I had a rebuilt engine that had suffered a big end bearing failure. It was blue and the crankshaft was replaced etc. The shop could not explain in detail just gave me the $5K invoice to pay before I got my bike back with Yamaha providing a small (token) discount.
5000 klm later and here I am again, no bike and the same ****ing thing again. The shop rebuilt it and were going to give it back to me when they did some final oil pressure checks and said oil px was fluctuating 26 - 47 PSI and so they stripped it down again. After days of looking for things they now reckon some small oil jets should have been in the passages to direct oil onto underside of pistons. I looked in the galleries and it is just a 1/8 inch hole and asked if the oil jets were pressed in or what, the shop guys say that they can't find the part number in the Parts book. Yamaha have agreed to supply new engine casings and hopefully these will have the oil jets installed.
Just wandering if anyone knows about these so called oil jets missing that could contribute to these engine failures, surely I can't have the only R1 engine in the world that has "missing oil jets".

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 13:17 - 10 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbs need to stop necro posting Doh!

Tizer Middle Finger Mr. Green Middle Finger

Last edited by McGee on 17:32 - 10 Jun 2006; edited 2 times in total

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 10 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah but mcgee Wink I wouldnt have read this topic if it hadnt been brought back from the abyss!

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 04:09 - 11 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah me too

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 04:21 - 11 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen the big ends go on a few R1's. They don't seem to like being wheelied much or at least the ones I've seen have been owned by wheelie nutters.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 00:20 - 24 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

most bikes dont like long wheelies to be honest the problem with the old r1 is the posisioning of the oil pump scavaging pipe, its right in the front of the sump, so as u wheelie the oil drains to the back of the sump and your oil pressure stats to get lower and lower as a result.... Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 308 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1