Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Leaving for France in 2 weeks!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 03 Jul 2006    Post subject: Leaving for France in 2 weeks! Reply with quote

Hi,

so it's happening, I'm moving back down to the south of france (Antibes). So round about the 14th July my girlfriend is flying into Newcastle and we're riding the bike down there. Can't wait, but I'm a bit worried about not having alot organised yet.

Plan so far:

day 1- Set off late morning, ride down to dover (from Co. Durham), catch a ferry/eurotrain across to calais early evening and stay over near calais that night (probably a formula 1 or similar). Boring motorway slog, looked into leaving from Hull instead but ferry too expensive.

day 2- up early and ride down to Paris, get there around lunch time leaving an afternoon to walk around, visit some spots we like and have a night out. Find a cheap hotel in the city centre.

then it gets hazy.... for the mid section I don't know where to go. I was hoping to do the roads from Troyes to Dijon, Bourg-en-Bresse to Chambery then Grenoble down to Cannes (big thanks to maurice for posting those routes Thumbs Up ).
I want to take it easy for the sake of my girlfriend, maybe just ride in the morning and have the afternoon to stop off somewhere and walk around. We have at least 5 days for the trip (loads of time) so maybe we'll do each of those 3 sections one day after another.

The one thing I'd regret is not seeing the Millau bridge, but its a canny detour so maybe it can wait for later in the year. We've decided to stay in dirt cheap motels rather than taking camping gear this time so we don't have the hassle of lots of luggage to worry about. My oxford panniers will be more than enough to hold the few items of clothing and bits we'll need for the trip leaving more room for my girlfriend to get comfy on the back.

So.... any tips for the journey, suggestions about must-see places to see and stop on that route or things that MUST be packed? do I need to do anything to the bike before riding it over there (insurance is getting sorted, but do I need to alter the headlight or something?)?

cheers,
james

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 22:22 - 03 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really a 'must see' but rather a 'should use'.
If you are planning on making a late(ish) crossing, take a look at www.speedferries.co.uk - I noticed that thier late crossings for bikes can be had for just £9!

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 03 Jul 2006    Post subject: Re: Leaving for France in 2 weeks! Reply with quote

Keen wrote:
Hi,

so it's happening, I'm moving back down to the south of france (Antibes). So round about the 14th July my girlfriend is flying into Newcastle and we're riding the bike down there. Can't wait, but I'm a bit worried about not having alot organised yet.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I am extremely jealous, love that part of the world. Used to go to Valbonne (only 8 miles away from Antibes) every summer. Full of character, so many good memories over there, especially going to Carre Four (sp?) Don't ask....I was a kid back then. Going to antibes, cannes, nice, monaco... Crying or Very sad

Anyways...not quite sure what you mean by "must be packed" but I'd consider a can of lube, puncture repair kit, replacement front headlight bulb...list goes on.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 23:38 - 03 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking about the places you may be stopping at during the way down. Reims centre looked fairly nice as I rode through, but the F1 and cheap motels there are way out on the outskirts where it's completely dead, if you go there either ride in or get a taxi to the centre.

Troyes is pretty quiet, apparently known for cheap designer gear, but was dead in the evening.

Lyon is meant to be quite good, well known for its meat, Dijon as well although it is a uni city so going to be a little quieter in the summer.

From a brief ride through Grenoble it looked worth a stop if you had the time, although at the time I was having to concentrate on beating a lunatic-driven 205 through the traffic light systems. It seemed to have a different style than usual, they've held the Winter Olympics there before now so can't be a shit hole, hopefully.

Coming through the Alps, Gap has a nice square in the centre, F1 there as well and a few bars. Zanzibar is the place to be on Friday/Saturdays. Little quieter during the week. They do seem to have decent music shows fairly regularly in the park.

Digne-les-bains further South is a more touristy town, loads of restaurants etc and a bit more visually appealing than Gap, less of a 'real' town though.

mistergixer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Re: Leaving for France in 2 weeks! Reply with quote

Keen wrote:

day 1- Set off late morning, ride down to dover (from Co. Durham),

If it helps to put things in perspective, my dad rode from darlington to austria and back, two-up, on a 125 Lambretta in the mid sixties.
It took him 2 days to reach dover from darlo.
I'm taking some of his routes in a couple of weeks myself, hopefully i won't be that slow!!
Very Happy
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Re: Leaving for France in 2 weeks! Reply with quote

instigator wrote:

I am extremely jealous, love that part of the world. Used to go to Valbonne (only 8 miles away from Antibes) every summer. Full of character, so many good memories over there, especially going to Carre Four (sp?) Don't ask....I was a kid back then. Going to antibes, cannes, nice, monaco... Crying or Very sad

Anyways...not quite sure what you mean by "must be packed" but I'd consider a can of lube, puncture repair kit, replacement front headlight bulb...list goes on.

ah yeah I know Valbonne.... I used to work near there in Sophia Antipolis (and hopefully will again soon if I get this job!). Really pretty little town. That whole area behind Antibes is gorgeous and the roads are great Thumbs Up

I'm not sure what I meant by 'must be packed' either to be honest, my hornet's bullet proof so I don't feel the need to be lugging lots of repair stuff around, new tyres arrive today and it just had a service last week so the bike's in peak condition. A lock, maps, few items of clothing & a camera is all we should need.
I'm avoiding the motorways mainly to avoid the peage booths (the tolls really add up) and make the trip more interesting. We wont be covering alot of miles each day so theres no rush. Can't wait Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1