Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

?3000 for nsr125 2001 import or not is the question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

hopoff

PostPosted: 15:05 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: £3000 for nsr125 2001 import or not is the question Reply with quote

i have been quoted £3000 for a new nsr125 but it is a 2001 model. i was wondering if you think this would be a uk model??? cause my dealer says there very hard to derestrict and won't do more that 95mph without a race pipe.
Confused
You must be logged in to rate posts

hopoffbaby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:07 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: it me Reply with quote

that was me by the way
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 16:42 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could well be a UK model, they often sell last years models at reduced prices.
Ask the dealer - he will have to tell you one way or the other.
As for deristriccting - check the guide on nsr125.com - its not that hard.
Derestricted, it should do about 100.

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 17:56 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why would they sell a new 2001 model at a reduced price, because it is EXACTLY the same as the 2002? Confused
(well, maybe apart form the year of the registration plate)

[ And if it is 'new' then why did they register it in 2001 - i thought dealers only registered new bikes when they have confirmed a buyer!!]

Anyway...
For a dealer that seems a heck of alot of £££ to 'give-away'.
And I dont think dealers are that nice! May guess is that it is an import. With most new import prices being about £3000-£3100, it would make sense.

Derestriction isnt that difficult to do (with the help of the wonderful www.nsr125.com) but if it is an import, the top speed in reality is only 85mph.
Go back to this dealer and have a look to see it the clocks are in km. Then its an import.

My other bit of advise is...never listen to anything a dealer tells you. The majority dont know s**t!!

Goodluck in your search mate! 8)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 18:01 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: 2001 Reply with quote

I think it will be a UK bike....some bikes are registered before they are sold and this one just might have not got sold. Seeing as the NSR is unchanged for 2002 I take it this bike has a plate on it, otherwise you would not know it is from 2001. So it will be a knockdown price as it is last years plate, which in theory makes sod all difference but think about it. 2 identical bikes, one registered 2001 one registered 2002, the 2001 not ridden till the 2002 bike was. It comes to selling up time. Both bikes 3000 miles, FHSH, exactly the same.....one is a Y plate, one a 51 plate.....if they cost the same which one you gonna buy..........

Your best bet is to ask if it is a UK bike or an import, they can't lie to you.

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 18:10 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not convinced... Confused ...i have a very suspicious mind, and do not like dealers.

My money is on it being an import.
Why would they knock off 20% of the bikes value, when - as in reality bike age is irrelevant, its the milaege that counts!
Confused Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 18:27 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it's an import too...dealers wouldn't usually register their bikes until they have been bought...unless the changed their minds of course...?

And there isn't such as thing as a 2002 model anyway...

Check the plate (if it has one) and also the mileage/speedo...

Tin

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 22:08 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dealers often pre register bikes to get their figures for the year up, then sell them at reduced prices. They make up the difference in bonusses and shit from manufacturers.
Just ask tho, and checking the clocks is a good suggestion.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: mmmm Reply with quote

I'm with Viper on this one:

1: sounds a bit 'cheap',
2: don't trust dealers

I think it may be an import. Sorry matey Rolling Eyes

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 22:23 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

why are we all saying i think it might be this i think it may be that......hopofbaby get down there and ask the dealer and look at the clocks!!

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 23:27 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Scooby!

...you should not be afraid to ask straight out "is this an import?"...if he lies to you then he'd be in the shit...

ask for the chassis and engine number (the dealer shouldn't have a problem in giving them to you), and phone up Honda and see what they tell you...

it may all seem like a lot of hassle, but you're gonna be spending £3k on this thing, a few questions and phone calls will help you in the long run...

Tin

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 23:32 - 11 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tine spot on, dont forget, a dealer doesnt have to tell you anything unless you ask him.
Take someone wiht you and get things confirmed in writing then if there is any trouble the you have backup.

hopoffbaby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:23 - 12 Apr 2002    Post subject: . Reply with quote

i havent had time to go back to matlock to ask the dealer. howerver the price sheet says at the bottom that all bikes are uk spec and full power, with MPH clocks this makes me wonder if they have changed the clocks cuz they also sel an rs125 for £3000 as well! when i talked to the technition he said that they are very hard to derestrict. by looking at the guide on how to derestrict the look very simple. now this again makes me wonder if he is saying they are hard to derestrict because it need the cdi replacing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

scabzilla
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:39 - 12 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in my opinion if they are selling the RS125 at 3k they gota be imports right Rolling Eyes ? cause thats about the price they charge for an import RS125. And be careful i looked into buying a replacement CDI unit, near £450 !!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 12:01 - 12 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they say its a UK bike then its a UK bike. Which dealer is it??

Give them a call and ask them, and if in doubt get the frame no and call honda - theyll tell you definately.

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 15:45 - 12 Apr 2002    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

McJamWeasel, read what he put carefully they are not UK bikes.....they are UK Spec bikes. So basically they are imports with UK regulation headlights, and MPH clocks.

As for whether to buy it.....its upto you. Will you be happy with 85mph, or do you want 100mph???

I think if you find a breakers you may be able to buy a UK Cdi unit and swap it for your import Cdi unit, which should be a damn sight cheaper than £450, however there maybe other restrictions in place.

hopoffbaby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:49 - 12 Apr 2002    Post subject: hassel Reply with quote

i cant be doing with all that hassel. i want a uk bike. whats a good price to pay for one and a place where i can get one not far from nottingham?

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 15:57 - 12 Apr 2002    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Are you good at doing bikes up...if so I suggest you look at HBC auctions in Bilsthorpe....pick up a cheap one ad do it up. That's what I did. If not, ust buy Admag, and the Evening Post also look on biketrader, and you should pick one up before long. How much you willing to spend??? Something in the region of £2200 will get you a good V reg.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 15:57 - 12 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak to the dealer. If you ask him straight out wether its an import or not he wil tell you.
It'd be stupid to cost yourself a few hundred quid for the sake of a fone call...

As for in your area, speak to your local dealers.

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 16:13 - 12 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, 2001 UK RS125s (Aprilias) have dropped to £2999, 'cos of the new 2002 spec machines...they are officially "old stock", and are sold off fairly cheaply...Mitos have also officially gone down in price...

Tin

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 16:49 - 12 Apr 2002    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

I'll believe it when I see it...

hopoffbaby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:32 - 13 Apr 2002    Post subject: i called them Reply with quote

i finaly called them and yes it is an import!
i have aprox £3200 to spend and would like a new uk nsr125!
does anyone know where i can get one near notts for that money?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1