Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Northern Italy in winter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Alfredo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Northern Italy in winter Reply with quote

Hi all, I hope you can help.

I'm in the process of taking my direct access test (I've got, supposedly two more sessions before I book for my test) and I shortly intend to get a bike. I should be moving to Northern Italy late September and I'll be staying there throughout the winter. I would really like to take a bike and not a car if I can avoid it, so I would be grateful if anybody could tell me about the road conditions in Italy's north during the winter, and if it would be ok to ride.

I don't intend to ride in the mountains but I am likely to be in the Milan/Lakes area. Are the roads frequently covered in ice and frost? If anybody can help or offer suggestions that would be most appreciated.

Alfredo

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mountains were stilll covered 2 weeks ago when I flew over them, Laughing

Milan ave temp for jan is about 4 degrees c.

edit: it snows too.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:40 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Re: Northern Italy in winter Reply with quote

Alfredo wrote:
...Are the roads frequently covered in ice and frost?...

FWIW a few years ago a friend of mine lived in Modena. It's where they make Balsamic vinegar and is quite close to the Maranello Ferrari factory. Anyhow, that's south of where you are going and in her car she still carried snow chains as standard. That should give you some idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 17:41 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty high around there still, not that far away up in the mountains I've seen snow in August.... I should imagine it gets quite interesting on a bike in winter.

Alfredo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Hmmm, it sounds a bit chilly to me then. If you guys with your experience were going to the area and needed to do local commuting with a bit of weekend travel but could only take a bike or a car, what would you do?

On this matter, if any of you ride throughout the year and in winter over here, how do you find it? Do you do it out of choice? Are there some days where you can't ride because of the conditions?

Thanks.

Alex

mikcalcutta
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:18 - 15 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Alfredo"]Thanks for the replies chaps.

Are there some days where you can't ride because of the conditions?

Hi Alfredo.I' m an italian Biker now living in england. I've been different times in North Italy with my bike.
I confirm you that Lombardia region in winter is quite chilly....but not more that in London.Don t worry.It's not so common below zero temperature.The only real problem is fog (Romans call Milan people....."Nebbia" that just means fog Laughing ).Anyway, It's very difficult to find days where you can't ride in Milan-Garda zone because of the conditions.

UglyFish
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:38 - 17 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys, I am from Mantova, in the same region of Milan. I ride my bike 12 months a year, in any case the snow in the region comes only in December and January, the places in which you have snow in summer are the higher mountains, over 3,000 meters (10,000 feet). There is a lot of beautiful roads in our region, go and see my pics of my bike tours on the Alps HERE.
Ciao,
Fil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1