Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Modifying a Garmin Streetpilot i3 SatNav for my bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

mr_pete
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:47 - 22 Jul 2006    Post subject: Modifying a Garmin Streetpilot i3 SatNav for my bike. Reply with quote

TomTom Rider = £400 = no thankyou!
Garmin i3 = £129 = acceptable! (but no headphone connection)

Challenge : fit headphone connector so I can ride and enjoy!

I've posted the pics and description of all this over on LiveJournal - the link to the post is here : https://community.livejournal.com/uk_bikers/286579.html

If anyone else decides to have a go, let me know Smile

mattish
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:08 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mod, but bear in mind by adding the extra speaker (headphone) in parallel with the original you will be taking the impediance down and stand a chance of blowing up the amplifer in the gps unit if turned up full Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr_pete
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:22 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattish wrote:
Nice mod, but bear in mind by adding the extra speaker (headphone) in parallel with the original you will be taking the impediance down and stand a chance of blowing up the amplifer in the gps unit if turned up full Shocked

Am I heavily untechnical, so can you explain that in muppet proof terms? Smile

The unit has 6 volume settings (0, 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5) - and I'm not sure if thats as high as it (could) get. I had it on "3" on the test run to work today and it was perfectly audible Smile

Would it be (technically) possible to add a switch to use one or the other?

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:29 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_pete wrote:
...Would it be (technically) possible to add a switch to use one or the other?

You should be able to get a socket such that you wire the speaker via the socket (normally closed Confused). When you insert the plug the speaker is disconnected and the headphone is connected.

Sorry can't be of any further help, I just don't know the right terms for the part. Suggest a trip to Maplins or your local friendly electrical bits supplier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1