BCF: Bike Chat Forums

UK Tour

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chiz
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:43 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: UK Tour Reply with quote

Me and a friend are planning on going around the U.K on our bikes for a week or so.
Any essentials we need?
Any tips/advice?
Best luggage?
btw i have a CBR400RR, he has a bandit600s (i think he may be slightly more comfortable!) if this makes a difference to any of the Q's.

Thanks,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you accomodating yourselves? Camping or B&B etc.

Where are you planning to go? you cant fit the whole of the UK into a week if you plan seeing it properly. There is a tip right there...dont be over ambitious.....ride to your abilities and try and fit in rest days if your covering large distances. The more you keep on riding the more you will be missing along the way.

Make sure your tyres are suitable for the distances and check your bike over thoroughly. Take some chain lube, WD40 and a few basic tools with you. Look at puncture repairs.....possibly use the slime prior to leaving or take a puncture repair kit just in case but it is also advisable to get some AA or RAC cover and take a credit card for emergencies (Thats good advice that even I should follow Shocked ).

Take gaffer tape as this has a multitude of uses. Wet wipes come in very handy...I have been recently converted to their uses Thumbs Up

Try to pack for all weathers (eg: if you ride in leathers take a rain suit too). Try and get and take things that will pack small and may have multiple uses. This applies to clothing too. Take some zip-off trousers as these double as shorts Thumbs Up

Remember the more you take the more luggage you need and the more weight you are carrying so this will add to fuel costs.

I use Oxford sport luggage and have panniers, tankbag and tailpack...I also have a renntec rack that is great for carrying my camping gear. I'd recomend it as it has served me well and has not shown any wear at all and its easy to use.

Panniers and tailpacks should be used for your main luggage as the tankbag should be kept mainly for valuables and items that you wish to keep handy such as bottles of water (another essential) phones etc etc. and they are very good for keeping your map handy and in view. just make sure it is mounted correctly and not interfering with the bars. When you park up and explore the tankbag can just be lifted off with ease and taken with you. Panniers should be packed carefully making sure that they are relatively even and heavy items are packed at the bottom. Be careful attaching luggage and get some practice in, it is simple once you have got the knack and as you get used to it you will find yourself becoming more confident in it and using fewer bungees.

Ive fitted a 12v ciggie socket to my bike (3 quid from a car accesory shop) and i have this under my pillion seat. This proves invaluable for charging and powering: it charges my phone, mp3 player, AA batterys for my camera and it also powers the pump for blowing up my airbed.

MP3 players and some small compact speakers are great for tunes on the nightime whilst camping.

Camping stools are cheap and dont take up much space but provide somewhere to sit if camping.

Try to split the load between you's, there is no point taking two of everything when one shared will do.

Try to get some practice in first before you trundle off hundreds of miles...this gives you a chance to put theory into practice and refine your needs and requirements.

If you give some more details there is far more possible advice.

https://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/zeddragen/zeddragensig-1.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1