Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

After Cheap PDA

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

JonT
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:45 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: After Cheap PDA Reply with quote

Hi folks, I am after a PDA and have the following needs.

I mostly want it to help me organise and keep track of events, i'm normally very bad at this and it causes me problems when things sneak up on me.

It has to be rather small so that when its in one of those PDA holder/wallet things it doesn't come to a size much larger then a standard wallet.
The idea is that i will replace my wallet with something that functions as a wallet but also houses the PDA.

It must have a decent battery life. I will go without charging this thing for quite some time, it needs to last!

It must have the facility to allow me to write my own software for it, ie can upload own software over the datacable or something.

An alarm/buzzer is a must!

Features I don't need: Camera, wifi, bluetooth, IR, latest OS,.

Features i'd like to have but aren't super important: Memory card slot, vibrate option for when a buzzer is inappropriate. Solitaire

Many thanks

(I wanna spend under £100, the lesser the better!)

Ohh and there is plenty of karma up for grabs here Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:58 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

An O2 XDA might be the way forward. They're one of the best PDAs around, plus you can sell your phone to fund some of it, if needs be. They seemed to sweep the PDA market off it's feet when they arrived, and have somewhat slid into obscurity as people like HP get ahead of the curve. The latest ones like the XDA Exec aren't selling well. Not for a good reason though, they're brilliant at what they do. I've played around with one for hours on end at work and they're incredibly easy to use.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/xda-II_W0QQitemZ300014470889QQihZ020QQcategoryZ38331QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There's an XDA II for just over £100, though it's not new.

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:00 - 05 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at an iPAQ 1930 off EBay. 1940/1945 is a slightly more expensive alternative - I think it has Bluetooth.

I have the 4150 which is the same size but is a bit faster and has WiFi and Bluetooth. Hence more expensive. Also has a 2 year, advance replacement, transferrable warranty (which you can lookup online with the serial number) so it might still be covered should anything go wrong.

I link mine to a Bluetooth GPS receiver and run TomTom navigation software - in the car and on my bike.

https://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2006/02/27/bikepics-531092-full.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 271 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1