Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

London To Highlands on a shagged bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 23 Jun 2006    Post subject: London To Highlands on a shagged bike? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am currently in the middle of my exams, they will be over soon, one way or another, as a reward at the end i want to visit family i have up in the scottish highlands (Bonar Bridge/Lairg). I have done the trips in a car no prob, 600 ish miles.

Now i was going to take the girlfriend but i have scrapped that idea due to not wanting the hassel of keeping someone else "warm" and "happy".

I have a GS500E... The bike has something like 84k on the clock (and the speedo wasent working for a couple of months so go figure...)

Piston rings are worn, and at the moment the steering head bearings and fork seals are shot (bearings and fork seals have been ordered and will be sorted... the piston rings i cant afford)...

Basically i am planning on getting up say 3.30AM ish and riding hard all the way up along the a-roads (Cant deal with the motorway boredom, especially on a naked...)and hopefully arive by evening time...

I DO have AA cover, and panniers and a good working knowledge of the joys of cargo nets... And >>i<< have no problem with the mileage...

But as you can see from my breif description the bike is a bit of a shed, it drinks oil (i would need to carry a couple of liters with me, and my tools/haynes, and some chain lube). And just the getting there and back would be 1200 miles, and i would have to do a couple hundred miles up on those lovely highland roads... so in total it would be 1500+ miles most likely in a long weekend maybe 5 days...

Should i get it serviced (bare in mind i am poor, could afford the petrol to get up there and would bum of family while there...) The air filter is new, the spark plugs are new, the tyres... well they probably have about that mileage left in them so it would be a good sendoff.

The bike runs ok around london, but it seems everytime i ride it hard something on it goes wrong, for instance today i was riding sharpish around london and the gear change lever started slipping cogs from the shaft (tightened it now and its sorted)... Its like the bike is giving me signs or pleading with me "i was designed to commute you bastard, i am not an R6"

I would like some opinions/advice on if i am being foolish thinking it will make it up or if you think theres only one way to find out Razz

Also sorry if this whole post is a bit all over the place, but thats how the planning is in my mind... Sad

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 21:56 - 23 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say get it serviced, don't really understand what you mean? If it's had a recent air filter, plugs and oil what more does it need, apart from maybe a quick going over to check for loose stuff.

One thing I would say is there is a hell of a difference between 600 motorway miles in a car than 600 a-road miles on a bike.

Take a bunch of tie-wraps, some chain lube, a roll of gaffer tape and a basic toolkit so you can tighten up stuff that loosens and you should be fine.

If it blows up it blows up, sounds like the engines fucked anyway, may aswell send it off in style Thumbs Up

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 23 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your bike sounds like mine, and despite bleeding everywhere it goes, it always gets me there.

The engine is reliable as hell, its just little perhiperal bits that go wrong (which arent usually critical).

Up to you to decide if your bike has the same properties Smile

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 23 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it dies near Preston I'll offer you a cuppa. Wink

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 23 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you coming up north in Scotland make sure you got a new set of tyres, a few bikers came up from Glasgow with tyres they thought would be fine, they had to find a garage on sunday to get new tyres fitted ( not worth the risk) the roads up here are nice but the roads can be like sand paper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 25 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i say serviced i mean exactly that, the vibes on this bike have a horrible habit of loosening everything, it could also do with an oil/ oil filter change and maybe the carbs looked at...

Would be taking all those things with my toolkit... and i was thinking that the whole send off in style thing Razz

As for the tyres, its not exactly a ZZR1400, its pretty easy on the tyres, But as i say i cant afford £125 for a new set (thats without fitting which i could get quite cheaply done)...

Wing and a prayer i think Smile, mick, if it dies near preston you will have to slip some valium in that cuppa Smile Thumbs Up

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 29 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done the fork seals and head bearings, will be leaving at 6am tomorow morning, wish me luck all...Will post photos if/when i get back Smile

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 23:51 - 29 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Wink

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 12 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDonUK wrote:
Just done the fork seals and head bearings, will be leaving at 6am tomorow morning, wish me luck all...Will post photos if/when i get back Smile

Didn't make it then Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 12 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny enough you say that --> https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=87999

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 13 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent sounds like it all worked out well in the end.
A very inspirational story Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1