|
|
| Author |
Message |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 01:26 - 14 Aug 2006 Post subject: My Riding Assessment |
 |
|
After booking my DAS for the 24th of this month, I was told to come in on Saturday 12th for 2 hour assessment/lesson on my 125 so he could see where I'm up to before he puts me on the 500.
Pulled into Graingers School of Motorcycling, Warrington at 9:00am in the morning, after spending the previous night in the GF's car trying to find the buggering place, it was concealed down the only road/path we didn't go down ("Am I fuck getting my car through there").
The instructors were nice, ended up sitting at one of the tables with them smoking a couple of cigs and having a chat about bikes in general, waiting for a few lads to show up who were having CBT's that day. It was in a smallish garage/warehouse, with lines of ER5's, GN125's and scooters. The bikes looked in decent condition and seemed like a cosy little place to be spending the best part of a week around in a fortnights time.
After waiting for a while, some of the lads showed up and me and the main instructor set off for a 2 hour ride around Warrington. I'll never get used to those intercoms, my left ear was hurting for the entire ride.
I was kind of nervous pulling out of the test centre, as I'm not fond of people watching me ride at the best of times. I found I was much more aware of my speed, and felt less safe with someone following me.
Took the bike up to what I thought was 30, and looked down, "Damn, 40"... changed down a gear and carried on, aware that I will have to be checking my speed now I'm gearing up to take my full test.
As I swung round the first roundabout after looking and signalling, I hear the words "That was excellent" coming through my earpiece... I was starting to relax and get used to having someone scutinise my every move.
After riding through more 30 zones, speedbump areas, and roundabouts he took me on an NSL Single Carriageway, I acclerated and progressed up through the gears gently, trying not to hammer it as much as I usually would...
We went through a few more 30 zones, and then pulled up in a quiet road for a smoke and a chat...
He told me my riding was excellent, and he had no problem putting me on the 500. He said I need to work on my road position, observation and gear when pulling into junctions from a main road, and that I need to ride LEFT of centre for my test (But he said where I was on the road was a position I should use in the real world). He told me to practise these things over the coming weeks, as he would rather teach me how to ride the bike above test standard and not have to worry about ironing out the basics with me.
I was then asked to do a U Turn, which I totally fucked up. I should've practiced this. I think having my tankbag on made me a bit nervous of putting the bars to the lock.
He then went through the technique of turning, and after 2 or 3 goes I managed to do them almost perfectly, I had to bring my right leg backwards a bit to stop the bars knocking my legs though, as soon as he was getting his lid on and getting back onto his z750 I did a couple of really good turns... "Hope you bloody saw them!" I said as I swung my bike round back in front of him and got ready to move off for some more practice.
After noticing a marked improvement in my riding already, we rode back to the training centre, where we had another smoke (My lungs!) and chatted about the day.
All in all an excellent day, I had a 2 hour ride after that by myself to a mates house to look at his dad's 24,000 miler GS500E, he let me ride it forwards into his garage
I'm really looking forward to the DAS now, I learnt a lot just in that assessment.
If you got here, you deserve a medal, sorry for boring you all
Toby |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| matt_uk |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 matt_uk World Chat Champion

Joined: 19 Jul 2006 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:35 - 14 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
everyone is nervous at the begining of any kind of test/lesson and do not ride to your full potential until you get like 10 mins into it, and start riding perfectly
good luck with the das, hope you pass  ____________________ - - - BIKE - - - Passed CBT : 21/07/06 - - - Currently : Riding a 2001 Aprilia rs125 (SOLD)
- - - CAR - - - Passed Theory 20/07/06 - - - Lessons, Test on 15th Jan 08... Passed 2 minors |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rit Trackday Trickster
Joined: 24 Jan 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BanditBitch |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BanditBitch World Chat Champion
Joined: 03 Sep 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 04:44 - 14 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sounds like you'll nail the DAS  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Whosthedaddy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Whosthedaddy Super Spammer
Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 05:00 - 14 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I did my CBT about 6 weeks before my DAS.
The DAS was a 4 day course:
Return to riding (125cc)
DAS day 1 (125cc)
DAS day 2 (500cc)
Test
I was a little unsure of the return to riding part, but its a good measure of how you are going to perform later on in the test.
Unlike you, I had never riden a bike except the CBT.
Its designed to assess your basic understanding, skills and knowledge of riding as well as a refresher. The instructors may at this stage believe that the 4 day course may not be appropriate and suggest more lessons or may suggest that you riding is superb and you're ready for 'D day'.
Good luck  ____________________ Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ram_doom |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ram_doom World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Mar 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:52 - 14 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Memories! Nice one Toby, you'll find the 500 is easier to ride. Especially with regards to holding a decent road position  ____________________ TL1000s, KDX200 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:04 - 14 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sounds like a good day out.
I spent a total of 7 hours on the bike on Saturday, 3 of them on an assessed ride. Didn't really get much feedback other than 'that was alright'. Guess that's a good thing as I'd have been told if really bad.
Be aware that you'll be training to pass the test. Although this guy sounds like he can show you how to ride on the road once that hurdle is overcome.
Best of luck  ____________________ ...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:06 - 14 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
| map wrote: | Sounds like a good day out.
I spent a total of 7 hours on the bike on Saturday, 3 of them on an assessed ride. Didn't really get much feedback other than 'that was alright'. Guess that's a good thing  as I'd have been told if really bad.
Be aware that you'll be training to pass the test. Although this guy sounds like he can show you how to ride on the road once that hurdle is overcome.
Best of luck  |
Yeah I've heard from other people that he teaches you a lot lot more than you need to pass the test... Think you get invited to rideouts etc with them after you've passed too |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yambabe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yambabe World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:17 - 14 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Heehee, told you you'd get on OK with Malc Toby!
Wait til you start the DAS, not only will your lungs collapse from the amount of smoke but your bladder will explode due to the influx of tea.......
Incidentally, re the speedbump thing, he always taught me to go around the inside of them, and if you move back out afterwards don't forget your lifesaver! ____________________ Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cestrian |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cestrian World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Marah |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Marah World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Jun 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|