Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A very VERY long trip.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 19:32 - 18 Aug 2006    Post subject: A very VERY long trip. Reply with quote

So hopefully this time next year i'll be cruising round england on a BCF tour...travelling round england and scotland and meeting up with as many BCFers as i can.

I aim to buy my bike during the year and kit it out ready for my trip, i plan on doing one of two things, shipping the bike back to UK and shipping it back...or riding it back from Dubai, unfortunately the latter is less of an option because at 19...it just wouldn't seem smart!

So my question is where in Dubai would i go to find out about shipping a bike? Ports Autority? Who?!

Anyone with any useful pointers would be useful as well!

Chris

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:05 - 18 Aug 2006    Post subject: Re: A very VERY long trip. Reply with quote

Find companies that, err, ship stuff.

They should be able to explain what you need to do as far as paperwork goes.

Have a look on here / google for what you need to avoid paying tax on it when you bring it in.

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 18:54 - 19 Aug 2006    Post subject: Re: A very VERY long trip. Reply with quote

G wrote:
Find companies that, err, ship stuff.

Doh, i just realised what a twat i must have sounded...thanks anyway

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 18:58 - 19 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't expect it to appear in one piece at the other end.

Ewan Mcgregor's bike was shipped from iceland to canada (or similar) and they fucked that up completly, so I don't think you have much chance of having a working bike in Dubai.

Not only are you not Ewan Mcgregor, but it's Dubai.

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 00:03 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm Not as simple as it sounds. I was in Ras Al Khaimah and I didnt even trust the fuckers to ship a box full of books home. Plus they wanted silly money. Mind you, theres probably a lot more reputable companies in Dubai itself.

~You rode a bike out there>> They're fucking nuts on the roads !!!!

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:20 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a bike over here, use it and then sell it?

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 11:17 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip wrote:
Just buy a bike over here, use it and then sell it?

No UK License
I'm not paying silly money to buy a bike over here
Insurance for a 19 yr old on a CBR600RR? They'll tell me where to shove that one!

Carvell i think you underestimate how developed Dubai is...My friend's dad just shipped his BMW K1200GT back to Dove in one piece...

Niff RAK's full of greedy fookers who think they can take your money because you're white Laughing

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more of an old CB500 or something.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubai is the fastest growing city in the world, it's a bloody Metropolis now. McGee was looking into this quacker, for his GSXR, but found that it would save him a considerable amount of money just to sell it in the US and buy a UK bike here. Then he bought that RF600 for peanuts, and promptly dropped it. Laughing

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 21:50 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip wrote:
I was thinking more of an old CB500 or something.

Nah uh...i'm a tart i want something modern with good thrashability...touring on a sports bike is entirely feasible and helps if you're a short ass cuz we don't have to crouch so much!

He's dropped the RF already?! what a tool! I'll have to seriously look into it when i get back Rooki, also helps with who you know and all that Rolling Eyes I doubt it'd work out cheaper to buy a bike here get it registered and insured etc...plus i don't even have my UK license...

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 21:52 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a full licence out there?

You may be able to drive on your foreign licence.

You'd need to check that one though as it' only specifies cars on the DVLA site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 12:00 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo wrote:
Have you got a full licence out there?

Yup, there's no stages thing, like out here. I can ride any bike i want out there.

I've heard i'd be able to ride for a year on my Dubai license but as you say i'll have to check it out.

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:

My friend's dad just shipped his BMW K1200GT back to Dove in one piece...

Can he not point you in the right direction and give you some advice??? Confused

I found this link that may be useful as it lists a few possibily companies: https://www.motorcycle.co.uk/lists/shipping.html

also heres a direct link to a company that does motorcycle freight shipping: https://www.eliteshipping.co.uk/content.php

also try more worldwide adventure bike sites such as: www.horizonsunlimited.com

If you do manage to work it all out then give us a shout if you want advice on where to go, what to see and do.

https://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/zeddragen/zeddragensig-1.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 18:19 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

preludedragon wrote:
Can he not point you in the right direction and give you some advice??? Confused

If you do manage to work it all out then give us a shout if you want advice on where to go, what to see and do.

He's going to i think...just going to get in touch with him when i get back to DXB.

Fancy joining on for a bit when i'm in your neck of the woods perhaps?

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

aye why not... if i can i will Wink

glasgow by the way

https://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/zeddragen/zeddragensig-1.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 11:31 - 22 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

preludedragon wrote:
aye why not... if i can i will Wink

glasgow by the way

I noticed in your profile.

Not a worry i'll be up that way at some point!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1