BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Touring Bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:19 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Touring Bikes Reply with quote

Hi, im after a large traillie for touring on, funds are limited so it will have to be an old 'un, im liking the looks of the transalp, africa twin, Dr750, Honda dominator, etc, was just wondering if anyone can throw some reccomendations on these (or others i havent thought of) my way, im hoping to cross into france/spain/germany on it and i can wield a spanner so the age of the bike doesnt really bother me, i was hoping to look about the 1990 mark with around a grand to spend, any thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:52 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Re: Touring Bikes Reply with quote

brewer wrote:
Hi, im after a large traillie...

First questions. How tall are you and have you sat on any of the models you mention?

I only ask as I'd considered a tall trail bike but had to modify the plans as was not comfortably touching the floor at any junctions and just didn't get used to the feeling. I'm going to have a look at the newer Suzuki DL1000/Kawasaki KLV100, but that doesn't fit your needs or budget.

Having said that if you fit them, then when I looked into it the Africa Twin would suit touring. Downside is they tend to hold their price, it may be hard to get a still good, usable one for £1K, even if 16 years old.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:59 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLE500? Pretty cheap, much faster than a dominator and a twin cylinder engine so much happier sitting at motorway speeds.

Fitting luggage can be a bit tricky, I just made some side racks out of flat bar for mine so I can use my throwovers without them touching the exhaust.

Tank range is just over 100 miles which is a bit of a pain.

KLR650 is a decent bike too, a bit more off-road orientated

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:01 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reckon im tall enough for it, ive ridden some large crossers in the past and have got on ok, (YZ450, DT's etc) but cheers for the info, i was really taken by the honda dominator on looks but then i thought it may be a bit underpowered for lots of motorways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:49 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think an old tdm850 would be good for what you want,as its a big trail bike riding position but its more suited to road use and doing distance at speed

i tried a dominator on a motorway and it wasnt pleasant
no fairing, and very vibey at speed as its a single
had enough power but wasnt very comfy

the tdm 850 is a twin and other twins like transalp and africa twin and stinks kle500 would be ok

ebay is good for cheap bikes

i was once nearly tempted by an africa twin that went for about £600 not sure i wd have trusted it to go round europe tho

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 23:46 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
KLE500? Pretty cheap, much faster than a dominator and a twin cylinder engine so much happier sitting at motorway speeds......

.........Tank range is just over 100 miles which is a bit of a pain.

Really? Did they increase the tank size between your model and mine, or is it that engine you stuck in yours that's affecting your range? I get an easy 130 miles before I fill up, and that's before I hit reserve. In fairness, that's not going above 60mph, but due to the way I ride through traffic and away from lights, the revs I hold are probably the same as (or higher than) those needed to cruise at motorway speeds.

It's probably just me riding like a pussy!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 03:09 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I thrash the arse off it, take it up to the redline in every gear and usually cruise at 80mph+. I also usually have a load of luggage on board.

That 500 twin engine is capable of returning astoundingly good fuel consumption figures if ridden sensibly, but I don't.

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:21 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the help, im now narrowed down to a couple of bikes, stinks suggestion of a klr650 or africa twin or super tenere, i guess ill have to wait for the right one to come along on ebay now, thanks again

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 11:05 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

brewer wrote:
...wait for the right one to come along on ebay now...

General tips for getting a bike, it would be worth doing a little research. Maybe visiting a few dealers and sitting on a few examples, test rides if possible. Also check out any owners clubs where you'll get a rue story of the good and bad points.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:10 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously im going to go have a look before i put a bid on!

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 12:16 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

also worth looking at the Triumph Tiger.. they do hard luggage for them, and are very capable machines.

if you can afford it, the BMW R1100/1150/1200GS models at the dogs for long distance mile munching. Just see The Long Way Round.

a

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 12:47 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

brewer wrote:
obviously im going to go have a look before i put a bid on!

Didn't mean to suggest you wouldn't. Only saying if you've already had a look at one or two examples of a model you're interested in bidding on it can give you a better idea to the condition, mods, damage, etc.

Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:14 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read about my mates KLR650 HERE

See what it takes to turn a KLR650 from this:
https://www.saddletrampsforums.co.uk/Tramps/images/Bikes/KLR/tn_New%20bike.jpg

Into this (yes, these are both pictures of the same bike!):
https://www.saddletrampsforums.co.uk/Tramps/images/Bikes/KLR/tn_KLR%20left%20side.JPG

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:53 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is one hell of a story!

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i'd forget the dominator and the transalp will be very unlikely in your price range. I would certainly recommend the Africa Twin as its a very good bike, but i really think you'll struggle for that budget.

I'd also add to the list the Yamaha XTZ 750 super tenere like: this and this. It was Yamaha's version of Honda's africa twin but not quite as popular so they go a bit cheaper but it is also a 750cc v-twin
https://www.supertenere.co.uk/gallery/yamaha/yamaha_02.jpg
there is also a website for info: https://www.supertenere.co.uk

and as mentioned earlier the triumph tiger , the older models will hopefully fall within your budget.
https://i18.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/9d/7d/92_1.JPG

Not sure about on your budget....but also consider the BMW bike's such as: BMW F650 (and this one) https://www.smorum-auto.dk/images/193640.jpg

BMW R100GS
(buying guide)
https://freenet.am/~alenkam/katalog/images/BMW%20R100GS%20PD.jpg

BMW R1100 GS
https://www.ladybug.nl/fotoos/motoren/bmw-r1100gs.jpg

https://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/zeddragen/zeddragensig-1.jpg

woodyfjr
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:31 - 24 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

XTZ750 is an Inclined Parallel Twin Cylinder the motor was later used in the TDM850's. A very capable machine indeed.

If you have to rev it! Don't Buy it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 251 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1