Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NS125RK- will not rev past 9500rpm ?????

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

PostPosted: 17:18 - 15 Apr 2002    Post subject: NS125RK- will not rev past 9500rpm ????? Reply with quote

Ive got a mint Very Happy 20k 1990 NS125RK with a micron exhaust (regulary serviced & run on TTS) but it will not rev past 9500rpm = 85mph, the redline starts at 10500 rpm. Any ideas whats wrong (restricter somewhere like air boxs or carb) should the jets be increased, & what size to or should i change a sproket.
Ive got a spare engine & am thinking of getting a Stan Stephens stage 3 tune, any ideas on top speed & power, ive heard its suposed to be well worth it.
You must be logged in to rate posts

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:45 - 15 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like what happens to me, i was thinking of getting a jolly moto exhasut to help, but if youve got a micron, then maybe its no the exhaust. Ive checked inlet and exhaust and throttle slide, it just sits at 88mph. The standered exhaust is pretty rotten though.
Dylan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:46 - 15 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like what happens to me, i was thinking of getting a jolly moto exhasut to help, but if youve got a micron, then maybe its no the exhaust. Ive checked inlet and exhaust and throttle slide, it just sits at 88mph. The standered exhaust is pretty rotten though.
Dylan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevo

PostPosted: 21:54 - 15 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi m8,
I saw a H reg NSR125RK on a dyno on sunday. You are right, as i could see that the power was dropping away around 9.5k, and in fact the dyno operator didnt run it much past 9k. Was quite funny to see the little NSR on the Dynojet rolling road after having watching several Blades,GSXR's R1's and other serious machinery being tested!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:11 - 15 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this that it will only not redline in 6th?

On my NS (I assume you do mean NS and that wasn't a typo) I got to about 88 by laying along it with my legs straight out behind the bike, I am about 15st though. I don't think they do much more than that without extra tuning.

Stevo

PostPosted: 23:23 - 15 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo wrote:

Hi m8,
I saw a H reg NSR125RK on a dyno on sunday. You are right, as i could see that the power was dropping away around 9.5k, and in fact the dyno operator didnt run it much past 9k. Was quite funny to see the little NSR on the Dynojet rolling road after having watching several Blades,GSXR's R1's and other serious machinery being tested!

Was that at Butlins, Skeggy? Was in a black NSR with various coloured stips on it? The GPZ500 got done on Saturday and got about 47hp

All the best

Keith

stevo

PostPosted: 20:33 - 16 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the one! (wobbly back wheel) so was your GPZ500 a red/white one by any chance? I was interested in seeing it as my m8 has the same bike, and i wondered what it did at the wheel, but i never waited around to see all the bikes done, as even a petrol head like me gets board after the 5th old style GSXR600 in a row has been dynoed. There was some noisy bikes there, and it was interesting to watch. I noticed that you can feel the top end rush of a sports 600 on the dyno, as i never really go that quick on my ZX6R. Did you see the RG500 on sunday, as that sounded really nice makes a change to see a powerful stroker being tested. I think it put out about 85hp but had non std pipes fitted.
What did ya think of the rest of the event? I had a go on a Minimoto, but not the CCM's. Did ya go to Cadwell on the ride out? I didnt bother, cos i was knackered. But i liked the place, and i reckon its definately worth going again next yr.
What about those two dudes on the Fazer600 and the Aprilia RSV! They were nutters. i saw the guy that rode the RSV lying on the floor to take pics whislt his m8 was wheeling his Fazer straight towards him!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:36 - 16 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was Minimoto like... I've allways wanted to have a go, but never got around to it.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:25 - 17 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo wrote:
Thats the one! (wobbly back wheel) so was your GPZ500 a red/white one by any chance?

Ours was the red one with black stripes, and we had that dynoed late on Saturday. It made 47hp (I presume that is rear wheel hp). I went to get the Bimota done as well, intending to get there as they started on the Sunday, but the queue was massive already (about 15+ bikes in front) and I could not be bothered to wait for 2~3 hours. The main reason for getting the GPZ done was that it doesnt feel quick to me, but I have also got used to larger engined bikes since we last had a GPZ500 (sold that about 8 years ago). The guy doing the dyno runs said that 47hp was about right for one.

stevo wrote:
Did you see the RG500 on sunday, as that sounded really nice makes a change to see a powerful stroker being tested. I think it put out about 85hp but had non std pipes fitted.

I saw it queing up, and saw him riding it up and down to get it up to temp and cleared out before his dyno run. Didnt see it on the dyno.

stevo wrote:
What did ya think of the rest of the event? I had a go on a Minimoto, but not the CCM's. Did ya go to Cadwell on the ride out? I didnt bother, cos i was knackered. But i liked the place, and i reckon its definately worth going again next yr.

I had a go on the Minimotos, but it wrecked my lower arms. Silly things but fun. The guy in the leathers who was one of the people running it was very quick. Didnt try the CCMs, as people seemed to be taking them too seriously. We went to Cadwell, but made our own way there. Did you here about the bike going into the bar (the Irish bar by the entrance) and doing a burnout? On the Sunday mealtime one of our group (there were 16 of us) had a birthday cake, and suffered total embaressment from having most of the food hall singing happy birthday to her.

stevo wrote:
What about those two dudes on the Fazer600 and the Aprilia RSV! They were nutters. i saw the guy that rode the RSV lying on the floor to take pics whislt his m8 was wheeling his Fazer straight towards him!

Yep, they were mad, with the one on the Fazer doing wheelies while standing on the seat.

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevo

PostPosted: 22:58 - 18 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose 47hp aint bad for a GPZ if thats the rear wheel bhp. I wasnt going to get my zx6r on the dyno, (as i have heard that they do about 96bhp std) but id dont really do any harm i suppose, and i noticed that you could get your oil changed by the dyno people if you wanted. Some of those big twins were burping and popping a bit on the overun tho!
Yeah the mini motos were cool, but i wasnt trying to follow that quick dude, as i had seen enough people go over the tyre wall aready, so i stuck to my usual slow wobble.
The RG sounded like an NSR500 when they ran it through the gears, but i was half expecting it to go bang!
I was still a bit worse for wear on sat, so i never bothered with Cadwell, reckon id have dropped by bike before i got out of the carpark! The Guns n roses band was wicked on sat night, despite a load of people coming out of the bar saying it was crap thrash metal as me and my m8 went in.
Yeah i was singing happy birthday too!
The physco on the Fazer should either be doing it for a living, or else he should be in a day care centre! The trouble is that my m8 has a fazer and guess what he wants to learn to do on it?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:18 - 18 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo wrote:
Suppose 47hp aint bad for a GPZ if thats the rear wheel bhp.

Hoped for a bit more, but not really expecting it. Not bad little bikes, and the seat hieght is low enough for my better half
Stevo wrote:
I wasnt going to get my zx6r on the dyno, (as i have heard that they do about 96bhp std) but id dont really do any harm i suppose, and i noticed that you could get your oil changed by the dyno people if you wanted. Some of those big twins were burping and popping a bit on the overun tho!

One of the GSXR600s managed 118hp I think. Think they were charging £25 for an oil change, which aint bad at all (cost of oil and filter pretty much).
Stevo wrote:

Yeah the mini motos were cool, but i wasnt trying to follow that quick dude, as i had seen enough people go over the tyre wall aready, so i stuck to my usual slow wobble.

One of our lot managed that. Mind you he is tall, and slightly mad

Did you have a look in the Wall of Death?
Stevo wrote:

The RG sounded like an NSR500 when they ran it through the gears, but i was half expecting it to go bang!

Its a 2 stroke, blowing them up is part of the fun (as long as you can get RACed home). When I got some new tyres a few weeks back there was an immaculate RD500 in as well. Dont think I could afford the petrol bill though (mind you better than a friends Mazda RX7 turbo which would do 9mpg at speed on the motorway)
Stevo wrote:

I was still a bit worse for wear on sat, so i never bothered with Cadwell, reckon id have dropped by bike before i got out of the carpark! The Guns n roses band was wicked on sat night, despite a load of people coming out of the bar saying it was crap thrash metal as me and my m8 went in.

We saw Toyah, along with some Quo look alikes
Stevo wrote:

Yeah i was singing happy birthday too!

Think Jules was a tad embarresed. She wasnt expecting it at all. She has just started to learn to ride a bike, and wants to bring her own bike next year.
Stevo wrote:

The physco on the Fazer should either be doing it for a living, or else he should be in a day care centre! The trouble is that my m8 has a fazer and guess what he wants to learn to do on it?

What, he want to learn how to repair the bodywork when he drops it Wink . The guy on the Fazer was good, but I bet it took a fair bit of practice (not sure how easy a Fazer would be to wheely, but Yamaha tend to try and have a fairly large front weight bias so probably not that easy)

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1