MMR Vaccine side effects?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 09:32 - 06 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondeokid wrote:
Since a friends son developed autism, i've gone the single jab route.

Cost per jab is something like £130 though , * 3
Ouch

That is the post that warranted my flippant response.

It just pisses me off, that is all. GMTV had like 6 weeks of uninterupted coverage of this MMR Furoré and it got me really angry as I quite like Kate Garroway and I didn't get to see much of her.

It's like I developed a squint in my eye when I was about 2 yo, my parents could have speculated it was because of the MMR, but it wasn't.

OK, I don' think the parents are stupid, but SOME parents can be naive and like dmahon said, need something to blame for their own misfortune. Although I don' think having as baby at all could be unfortunate, many people try and fail to have babies, so I would cherish what I had rather than kick up a fuss because my child has learning disablities etc etc.

Got to go work now. Bye.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Arfdog
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:41 - 06 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that the media does sometimes make a complete meal of things.. I guess at least something like the MMR jab affects more viewers than, what the WAGs are doing, for example.

6 weeks is a bit excessive though.. it would be better if they had to report on the findings only after they have been carved in stone.

How's your arm today, Legs? Laughing

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 06 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
The only thing I would give to a child in darlington, is a train ticket out of there.

You're from the outbacks of Northallerton. If you saw a child in the big city of Darlington you'd probably marry it Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nc30 chick
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:46 - 06 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in complete agreement with Arfdog and no I am not a sensitive female! Im a mother who has an autistic child and trying to get him the best help there is possible out there. Yes it is hard, yes it is tiring but its life so when someone makes rude, arrogant remarks then yes I do get angry because unless you have been there then you have no idea. Jon, you need to realise that not all forms of Autism are genetically linked, in fact it hasnt been proven at all unless it is a symptom of fragile x which is a genetic condition. Autism is not a disease either, it is a disorder which is not the same thing. It will not kill or harm my son as a disease would. I also wouldnt change a thing about my son, he is my boy and just has a disorder to deal with.
There was a lot of media attention about the MMR jab but there was also a lot of attention about CJD but did we stop eating beef? No. There is always something in the media eye regarding some type of drug/food etc that could potentially do us harm.
As for finding something to blame, yes you do want something or someone to blame when you find out that your child has a lifelong condition and you do blame yourself but you have to work through that and accept that no-one is to blame and it is just what life throws at you.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 07 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigie b wrote:
Sounds like a trapped nerve to be honest. I occassionally get tingling in my chest and biceps from a trapped nerve in my neck.....I got this from sleeping wrong. Rolling Eyes I also get sharp pains at the top of my back next to my shoulders. Pain in the ass.

That's not caused from sleeping funny, from sleeping WITH someone funny maybe. Laughing

Leggy_Girl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 07 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfdog wrote:
How's your arm today, Legs? Laughing

It's still a bit twingey but good thanks! Just feel very ill now (i've got a fever as predicted in the side effects leaflet, feel sick, and i've had 2 weird blisters appear on my arm and one on my leg). Laughing

I've stayed out of the argument because i know nothing about the pros or cons of the MMR vaccine. Not something i need to know about yet i think, seeing as i don't have kids. Interesting to read all of your opinions though.

Pte1643
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:02 - 09 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my kids (13yr old Son, and 5 yr old Daughter) have had the MMR jab.
As parents should we gave it some thought, but chose to dismiss the slight risk. Neither have shown any signs of anything untoward.

But I know some friends who chose the "Single" jab route. I also have a work mate who's Son has ADHD, which they put down to MMR? Confused

Personally, I think the risk involved with MMR is fairly slim.
I remember a story once that they use the same jab in a few European countries and that Finland, especially, had conducted extensive research into any possible side affects.
The Fin's results found that there was conclusivley NO link between MMR and Autism.

Why doesn't the British government also conduct a similar trial to properly put the matter to rest (either way)?

The governments word is that the vaccine is safe, but then the Blair's refused to comment over whether baby Leo had had the vaccination.

I don't think this installed a lot of confidence at the time. Thinking
But I do understand that Leo's medical history is not for public scrutiny.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 09 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
mondeokid wrote:
Since a friends son developed autism, i've gone the single jab route.

Cost per jab is something like £130 though , * 3
Ouch

That is the post that warranted my flippant response.

Yes, but how many of us are trained doctors, medical researchers, I am reasonably well paid, so £390 is not a problem. However its not just the risk of autism, its the idea of having multiple jabs at once.

One thing about my friends son, he was talking, communicating, meeting all his goals. Now i'm not saying it does cause autism and i'm sure for 99.99% of people there is no link.

But a lot countries don't do MMR and offer singles jabs, so why can't we have them?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:22 - 09 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondeokid wrote:
But a lot countries don't do MMR and offer singles jabs, so why can't we have them?

Presumably the MMR jab is cheaper to the NHS than 3 individual ones, and what with there being no trace of evidence to link it to autism, its safe.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2