Screammmmmmm

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:49 - 14 Feb 2002    Post subject: Screammmmmmm Reply with quote

Hi

Just needed to get that out of my system.

Last night I filled the Bandit with petrol and rode home in the rain. Came off the M6 at junction 13 and the bike was running badly (misfiring) so got home and dowsed everything with WD40.

Got up this morning and tried to start it. Not a hope so got some jump leads out and tried. Got it running but it was really bad. Noticed the fuel gauge barely registered.

Took the Aprilia out, but flat battery from not having been run for a while. Bump started it but no joy with lghts etc. Rode a few miles down the road and still no joy so took it home and rang in to take the morning off.

Found problem with the RS is not much time. A connector into the regulator had corroded so it wasnt charging the battery (it could try as hard as it liked, but it would only get the electrons about 15cm from the regulator).

So time to fiddle with the Bandit. Discovered that another couple of tags on the bodywork had snapped off (the ones holding the seat surround onto the fuel tank), so not best pleased. Took the tank off and took the airbox lid off and the bike dumped a load of petrol on the ground. Took the airfilter out and it is soaking wet with petrol. The airbox was litterally half full with petrol. Seems I have a sticking float. Managed to get the carbs off, but cant get the float bowls off to look inside (the bolts holding the float bowls on are very tight, and they are stupid little cross heads), so any more investigation will have to wait until tonight.

I had left the bike on prime and it had litterally emptied the fuel tank through one of the carbs, most of it landing up in the airbox. Given the pathatic amount of fuel left and that it had only done 29 miles from filling up I think it has managed to loose about 3 gallons of petrol (well, under 10mpg is not a record I want to improve on)

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 14:44 - 14 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a sticking float I was told to take the petrol hose of the tank side and blow into it hard! while doing this knock the float bowl with a screwdriver (handle side Wink ) and then try!

worked for me may be worth a try rather than dismanteling the full thing?

HTH

Hex
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 16:06 - 14 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice morning you must have had. I know when you've just got out of bed the last thing you want to be doing is getting covered in grease, muck and petrol Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 14 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Even more trouble with the bandit ,ive said it once ond ill say it again put the bandit to rest and get something more reliable like a CBR or soumthin

Luke

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:15 - 14 Feb 2002    Post subject: Screammmmmmm Reply with quote

life sucks Confused

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:32 - 14 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that, makes me feel better.

Tapping the float bowls can work, but it depends on why the float is sticking. A bit of grit you are unlikely to dislodge. Add to that there are 4 float bowls to choose from. The carbs are now off, and externally cleaned up a bit. I will get the float bowls off at the weekend and may even have a chance to refit them.

Fortunatly there was little oil and grease to get covered in. The petrol (must be at least 3 gallons / 13 litres lost) washed it all off!

As to more reliable, look at the pictures in MCN of the CBR600 being used through winter. My brakes, etc are in better condition than that after 5 years of use, plenty of it in winter.

Occasionally (well, quite often) get tempted to buy another bike for commuting (probably a GPZ500, faired, cheap on petrol and tyres and 10 a penny 2nd hand), and then buy something else for use with a pillion. The Bandit does well with a pillion and is overall fairly reliable. Trouble is what would I get, as I have got quite used to the torque. A VFR750 / 800 would probably be the most likely, but a Triumph Trophy 900 or 1200 (early ones) is also possible, or a Sprint.

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 14 Feb 2002    Post subject: Bandit Reply with quote

i didnt think they were soooo unreliable

hows the hornet

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:38 - 14 Feb 2002    Post subject: Bandit Reply with quote

TJ NSR wrote:

i didnt think they were soooo unreliable

hows the hornet

Most people dont ride them all year round, and I doubt there are that many up to 28000 miles

What Hornet? Or do you mean to buy one?

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 48 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1