Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advice: New Job but don't want to work christmas!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 29 Sep 2006    Post subject: Re: Advice: New Job but don't want to work christmas!! Reply with quote

WR450_geezer wrote:
Advice please

Option 1. Do your job.

Option 2. Weasel out of it and screw up someone else's xmas who has to cover for you.

No-brainer, really.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 20:14 - 29 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fucking temp job. Work until you can't be assed to do it anymore then jack it in whenever you want. They won't give a fuck so why should you? Don't tell them you can't do christmas, just don't do it.

They employ more people than they need because they know load's will have 'sick day's' due to being hungover/shagging each other then not wanting to see each other after shagging each other.

The good one's are when one of the girl's end's up pregnant and she can only narrow it down to a couple of her male colleagues. It provide's hour's of entertainment, you can do sweepstakes. Thumbs Up Laughing

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 29 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
It's a fucking temp job. Work until you can't be assed to do it anymore then jack it in whenever you want. They won't give a fuck so why should you? Don't tell them you can't do christmas, just don't do it.

They employ more people than they need because they know load's will have 'sick day's' due to being hungover/shagging each other then not wanting to see each other after shagging each other.

The good one's are when one of the girl's end's up pregnant and she can only narrow it down to a couple of her male colleagues. It provide's hour's of entertainment, you can do sweepstakes. Thumbs Up Laughing

excellantly put reuban! Thumbs Up i agree. Remeber empolyers stab people alot quicker in the back!

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 01:19 - 30 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozzypop1 wrote:
Rolling Eyes Think I may have upset someone with my opinion.....

What else is advice?

Rolling Eyes

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:29 - 30 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice. If you agreed to do it, do it. Welcome to the real world of employment. If you didn't want to do it, you shoudn't have said you would.

You want a good reference, you fulfill your contract.

You might find the reference from that 'temp' job is worth more than you think after you graduate and find yourself caught in the experience trap along with everyone else you graduated with.

stinkwheel
6 years in full employment, 100% attendance.

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 30 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask for advice and rate everyone who doesn't agree with you with "boring". Classic.

Remind us how you got your custom title again? Oh yeah...

https://www.ochainn.ath.cx/images/noone.jpg

Laughing Laughing Laughing

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 19:47 - 30 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey WR450_Geezer... Here's another post you can rate 'boring' or 'redundant' if you like....

Rolling Eyes kids!

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 19:59 - 30 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozzypop1 wrote:
Hey WR450_Geezer... Here's another post you can rate 'boring' or 'redundant' if you like....

Rolling Eyes kids!

WTF just grow up. This is old now, just let it go.

WR

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 21:31 - 30 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooOoooo a confusing... Not difficult to do then I guess...

Quote:
WTF just grow up. This is old now, just let it go.

Hmm yeah I suppose 33 hours since you first posted the question is OLD! Thinking
Thats how come you can qualify yourself as a 'grown up' eh?

Right some of us 'pensioners' have a social life to be getting on with. Goodnight.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 06:39 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: Advice: New Job but don't want to work christmas!! Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
WR450_geezer wrote:
Advice please

Option 1. Do your job.

Option 2. Weasel out of it and screw up someone else's xmas who has to cover for you.

No-brainer, really.

I agree. If you go for option #2 then you are a worthless prick who doesn't deserve a job OR a college education..

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 12:31 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on whether you want to keep the job after xmas or not, and on what you think their reaction will be

if you think they will be fine about it, tell them as soon as possible

if they might be arsey and even end your job saying they need someone to work that day for them, just tell them the day b4 so if they fire you, you are working all the way up until that point

in my experience, employers bullshit just as much the people being interviewed, so i dont think you should worry too much that you are messing them around

might be good to suggest your circumstances have changed and that although you thought you could work that day, you have now found you cant. Probably better than just appearing to have lied in the interview.

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 19:42 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as an retailer they would want staff who are honest and trustworthy.....

...........guess the job doesn't suit you, and if they knew the truth you certainly don't suit them.

Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 23:46 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

retailers also hire people saying, no its not just a job for xmas, and then lay people off after xmas as if they never knew they would have to do it

so no point trying to be honourable when they arent

i twice fell for this one with pc sales call centres, the second time i actually left a perfectly good job, to take the job

temps soon learn that being honest and trustworthy just makes you a mug

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:10 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tend to agree , they promise the earth once you sign up they renege on their promises , even for LT contracts and jobs that are supposed to be for a long indeterminate time.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 14:31 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet this company being open and honest with him, by telling him it is a temporary contract, should be tarnished by those who havn't been honourable?

They have been honest about the job, surely they can expect the same in return Confused

This could become a chicken and egg scenario about honesty wih regards to interviews, but IMO your honesty should never be compromised simply because someone else may have been less than honest to someone else in a completely unrelated matter sometime in the past.

Simply put, don't take a job unless you are prepared to complete the contractual obligations.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:44 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

all he will be doing is leaving a job early

and although he may be expected to give them notice, his temp contract will insist that he has to inform them longer before leaving than they have to inform him before firing him

the contract is written by them to have double standards in their favour, but he wont have to break the contact if he just gives them notice.

he is a temp not a slave, he can leave any time, even if its inconvenient for them

bonded labour was outlawed a long time ago except in the militairy where you have to sign up for a certain length of time

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:46 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullshit. The reason we have half the problems in the world today is because we can't trust each other. If you say you are going to do something, then do it. How people can blatantly lie and decieve is beyond me.

If you don't want to work the Christmas, then say you don't wanna work it. Let some other poor bastard who really is that desperate for the money that they are prepared to give up their holiday work it.

Its like taking the last slice of pizza and only eating half. That should be a capital fucking offence!
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 03:32 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
all he will be doing is leaving a job early

Bullshit. This is about his basic honestly, which apparently isn't worth a bucket of warm spit. He was asked if he was willing to work the required hours, at which point he LIED.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:02 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Knight wrote:
Bullshit. The reason we have half the problems in the world today is because we can't trust each other. If you say you are going to do something, then do it. How people can blatantly lie and decieve is beyond me.
!

doesn't work that way there has to be trust both ways , in my teens a very long time ago I used to trust everybody , experience being screwed flipped me and I'm not incredibly cynical. I may well fulfil my contractual obligations (my cornwall job , but they turn round and change my perks ie they said they'd pay for my exams they didn't , <1yr worker = no rights).
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you mate. It should be both ways. Life would be much easier if it was.

Unfortunatly nowadays a man's word is worth less than a half price sale at poundland.

Makes me fucking sick. Evil or Very Mad
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2