Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Places to get new tyres overseas?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:18 - 28 Sep 2006    Post subject: Places to get new tyres overseas? Reply with quote

I'm plotting to go off to Europe when I get some time off probably next year , thing is I'm thinking of doing sports bike touring = BT90s , (if I can actually wangle a decent NC30) and maybe joining up with an old riding group,

thing is these babies last 2500 miles tops = about half way through France, so what companies can be trusted in France/Spain/Germany to get decent tyres?.

or would it be wiser to go get some touring tyres and not change them?. Touring tyres = not as good grip.

This also applies to if you get a big gash in your tyre.

any thoughts?

Ta
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Modo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:13 - 28 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to have a new rear tyre on my busa during my last trip to France a Bridgestone, worked fine . You get the best tyre on offer and ride according to what type of tyre you get, that would be my advice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 28 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a set of tyres whilst touring Europe this summer. I decided my best bet was to head for a big city so I went to Marseille. I got directed to the street where all the bikeshops are and walked along it till I spied a likely looking place. The price was right so I went with them. Pneu-Bis, who are apparently a big chain which shops all over France.

Bare in mind that if the tyres aren't a common size then they will have to order them in which will take at least a day - This could be a major ballache on a shorter tour. Also consider that in France, Spain and Italy not many people speak English.

I would say you be best off trying to get tyres that will cope with the mileage. Now I know it's trendy to use the "best" tyres on sports bikes, but since you aren't Valentino Rossi I'm sure you will be able to find something that's a compromise between mileage/grip that will suit.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 14:09 - 28 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh BT090's would be a waste of time for touring. Sports-touring tyres have easily enough grip to get your knee down and scrape pegs, more so on the smooth hot roads abroad. They are a lot harder to square off too.

These are Dunlop's old GPR80.

Also to expand on Nath's point, 18 inch rear tyres in the NC30's size are uncommon, sticky ones even more so (not many NC30's in Europe). Chances are you'll end up having to put a plastic oversized macadam on unless you want to wait days.

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you drop into italy, there's a good tyre place just as you cross the Mont Blanc on the Italian side.

The town is called Curmayeur. (Think that's how you spell it!)

But you can't miss it. Its basically the downhill straight after the tunnel.

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a set of conti road attacks fitted before setting off for france and they were great. 3000 miles later they have loads of tread left and its not because I ride like a granny.

I'd feel confident recommending these tyres, they were good enough to scrub near-enough to the edge on the route napoleon without ever feeling pushed, and thats 2-up with luggage Thumbs Up of course as others have said, the good road surfaces and nice hot tarmac help Smile

John C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 17 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen wrote:
I got a set of conti road attacks fitted before setting off for france and they were great. 3000 miles later they have loads of tread left and its not because I ride like a granny.

I had a set of Conti road attacks fitted 3000 miles ago. That's 1 trackday at Cadwell and the rest riding like my pants are on fire. Looks like I'll get another 1000 miles out of this rear yet too.

They seem to last for ages (even more so if your on a lighter and less powerful bike) and they have more grip than you can shake a stick at. Not to mention the performance in the wet. Thumbs Up

extreme3d
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 17 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another for Conti Road Attacks. They have a much softer compound than the other sports touring tyres so are much much stickier. They get a decent milage by having a deeper tread to counter the sticky compound.

Wet weather performance is the best of any tyre I've tried yet - and that includes 020's. They are also cheap to buy and being German you will have no problem getting them on the continent Thumbs Up

Why do you feel the need to fit a sports tyre? Sports touring tyres are not going to give any less performance on the roads than a sports tyre, even for very fast riding. It's just an 'image' thing to have the latest sports tyre, even if it means only getting 2000 miles Confused

Put it this way, John above (NSR Sparkie) is pushing on doing the Yorkshire TT in 10 mins flat now on his Thunderace Shocked Cool . That's REALLY moving some and he only ever uses sports touring tyres. You just don't need to fit a 'sports' tyre to a sports bike to get on the edge performance from a sports bike Wink

John C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 17 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

extreme3d wrote:
You just don't need to fit a 'sports' tyre to a sports bike to get on the edge performance from a sports bike Wink

On my day at cadwell performance tyres would have been nice as the sports tourers don't seem cut out for the constant abuse they get on a track; thankfully the sessions were only 20 minutes long and the Conties coped surprisingly well.

On the road though I've yet to find a better tyre than the Road attacks for me. They're great for all the following reasons:

1) More than 3000 miles a set
2) less that £170 for the pair fitted
3) Sticks like shit to a blanket
4) Good on a weekend in wales, even if it pisses it down
5) Great on the road, 'usable' performance on the odd trackday.
6) Different profile to 020's and others I've had, takes a few miles to get used to but the bike seems to 'fall' into the bends and sit there, only requiring a little bit of extra work to roll to the edge of the tyre eliminating those pesky chicken strips.
7) Great confidence boost from the minute I first fitted them.
8) They dont seem to square off? although perhaps that because I use the sides more than the middle.

As for places to get them fitted on the continent, I have a neighbours who's done many continental trips, I'll ask him if he knows of any good places. although I imagine that the likes of Road Attacks and 020's will be readily available over there.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1