Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Changing careers?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Crash125
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:00 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Changing careers? Reply with quote

Anyone got any advice, I am currently 23 and an auxiliary nurse but i have developed excema on the back of my hands meaning they are often red, itchy, inflamed and broken to bleeding point. I need to get a change of career because I am at real risk of infection as i am contact with other people body fluids every day and wearing the gloves provided is making my skin worse.

I have started to do the european computer driving license through the hospital i work for to try get into admin side and spoke to my department head about getting other work but she hasnt done a thing to try and help me.

All i have have ever done is nursing, i dont have the money to go back to college so it isnt an option. How do i go about getting another type of job with no experience??? I am desperate as my hands are getting worse every shift i do Sad , anyone got any advice?

I would really love any type of job involving bikes but i think thats just a dream.

Last edited by Crash125 on 21:17 - 01 Oct 2006; edited 1 time in total

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swap jobs with Shaggy. Both sorted. Thumbs Up Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Crash125
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:51 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does shaggy do?

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hand get dry during the summer due to sweating and constantly wearing gloves.

Have you been referred to Occupational Health?

Gloves that are being used in Hopsitals now should be powder free and less irritating to peoples hands. They can get latex free ones for you if its causing discomfort.

We use Cutan wash for our hands and this is slightly less damaging and drying compared to the previous Hibiscrub wash that was in the dispensors. Again, if not, then Occupational Health ust povide something for you as poor hand hygiene is a potential for cross infection.

The paper towels that are used my be changed to again prevent your hands from being damaged.

The above things will not be changed unless you or your ward manager refer you to Occupational Health.

Cant do a lot about your back, apart from change washing powder, wear a cotton T shirt under the poly tunic and again seek advice as they may aloow you to wear a theatre tunic instead as cootn not man made fibres.

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 17:29 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm....body fluids...

Um, no thanks Smile

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShaggyDA wrote:
mmmm....body fluids...

Um, no thanks Smile

Cleaning up funky smelling man and female juices is not my favourite thing at work, but meh, it pays the bills.

cheekie monkey
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you interested in doing?

Best thing to do is to pop down to the job centre and see what they suggest, thats what they are there for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Crash125
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:21 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
My hand get dry during the summer due to sweating and constantly wearing gloves.

Have you been referred to Occupational Health?

Gloves that are being used in Hopsitals now should be powder free and less irritating to peoples hands. They can get latex free ones for you if its causing discomfort.

We use Cutan wash for our hands and this is slightly less damaging and drying compared to the previous Hibiscrub wash that was in the dispensors. Again, if not, then Occupational Health ust povide something for you as poor hand hygiene is a potential for cross infection.

The paper towels that are used my be changed to again prevent your hands from being damaged.

The above things will not be changed unless you or your ward manager refer you to Occupational Health.

Cant do a lot about your back, apart from change washing powder, wear a cotton T shirt under the poly tunic and again seek advice as they may aloow you to wear a theatre tunic instead as cootn not man made fibres.

Been to me own Gp, been to occu health, been to dermatologist, been patch tested, tried nearly every cream, lotion and potion, tried changes the gloves i use, the soap, the paper towels everything, its basically the end of the line. The dermatologist said basically get another job, without as much hand washing.

Not sure what i fancey doing but spent the last 2 hours creating a very fancey CV online so thats the first step.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

changing career <25 is ok , but remember you will take a big pay packet hit , doing my 3d and art work I used to pull 26K , changed careers , and got hit to 14.5K.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:10 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A band 2 nursing auxillary takes home <£1000 pcm, so there will be numerous jobs that pay better if not the same making a change in career more managable.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 00:15 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure there are some nursing jobs where you dont have to wear gloves

seems a shame to waste all that training and resulting pay demanding power, just over some gloves

you need to ask around for which nursing jobs dont require you to wear gloves, or simply wear thin bandages over the backs of your hands and gloves over the top

there has to be a solution

dont nurses have a union or a professional body or something ? maybe they might be able to offer advice

your head of dpeartment is unlikely to see your problem as a priority and probably doesnt know enough to help

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:07 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
im sure there are some nursing jobs where you dont have to wear gloves

Apart from pre assessment (qualified nurses only) the answer is none.

gixxersixx
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:31 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be an allergy to latex. but surely theres a health and safety issue there if the gloves are detrimental to your health then your employer has a responsibility to find a solution to this situation Smile

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 11:18 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine your employers should be supportive of a change. Continue with your ECDL and register with the temporary staffing bank to gain experience.

Taking admin work through the staffing bank will give you an idea of which departments you would prefer to work in. Have you considered portering - might be worth checking out? Your current knowledge of the hospital will be valuable.

Good luck Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 04 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate works for the NHS and it became apparent she was allergic to latex, so they moved her into an office job in-house. Doesnt pay as well but still on the original payroll and doesnt have to go through the same crap as other peeps looking for work.

Crash125
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:49 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
My mate works for the NHS and it became apparent she was allergic to latex, so they moved her into an office job in-house. Doesnt pay as well but still on the original payroll and doesnt have to go through the same crap as other peeps looking for work.

Thats what am hoping they are going to do with me, just done 3 night shifts there and nearly chewed me hands off with the itch Brick Wall

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:47 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about covering your hands in vaseline before putting the gloves on ? it might mean that your skin wouldnt touch the latex, you would probably need a lot tho

although might be worth trying first as for all i know vaseline eats latex

or wrap your hands in thin bandages and put latex gloves over the top

a friend of mine has excema, and he has this special stuff you put in the bath, and if you have a bath with it every day, it helps

he cant be arsed with it tho

i'll ask him what its called

want a ZZR 1400
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:06 - 07 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin,

The gloves are porous so you still have to wash your hands when you take them off.

Crash,

Have you tried sudocreme? Every home should have some.

Could you or would you go in to a Care assistant role? Transferable skills and all that...

techierob
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:13 - 09 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: Changing careers? Reply with quote

Crash125 wrote:

I would really love any type of job involving bikes but i think thats just a dream.

sorry to ask the obvious question, but have you considered becoming a courier?
I've got a couple of mates who became couriers: one with no experience or references and the other as a mid-twenties career change. Admittedly these were both in london, but I'm sure it's still a possibility if you're in or near any major city.
I'm only repeating what I've heard, but the money's supposed to be quite respectable if you put the hours in.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 09 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: Changing careers? Reply with quote

techierob wrote:

I've got a couple of mates who became couriers: one with no experience or references and the other as a mid-twenties career change. Admittedly these were both in london, but I'm sure it's still a possibility if you're in or near any major city.
I'm only repeating what I've heard, but the money's supposed to be quite respectable if you put the hours in.

you'd be surprised there was this bloke on a CB500S in Falmouth who was a courier , I think there were 3 couriers who I saw regularly there , two of which stopped in the office I worked in , and had a chat to wither away the time.

I suppose the miles between pickups and drops makes up for the lack of major business areas , the XJ900 bloke did about 20 trips to and from Truro/newquay and Falmouth , all 15+ miles each, which on uncongested roads are pretty quick.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:08 - 09 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: Changing careers? Reply with quote

techierob wrote:

but then theres 1000 reasons why not to be a courier , if it wasn't for money / location I'd be one , since I love carving up streets on an NTV filter fairly well , but still probably not good enough considering when I race couriers more often than not I lose.

Crash125
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:51 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: Changing careers? Reply with quote

techierob wrote:
Crash125 wrote:

Thats not a bad thought, i hadnt thought about it. Dont suppose you know where to start looking for a couriers job for bikes?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: Changing careers? Reply with quote

Crash125 wrote:

Thats not a bad thought, i hadnt thought about it. Dont suppose you know where to start looking for a couriers job for bikes?

Sell your soul to the devil and buy a copy of MCN and look at the adverts in the back , or call some courier firms
like BCCP , city swift etc, do remember that courier insurance quadruples your insurance , and many many
couriers don't make much money, since you have to consider tyres , petrol , a full service every month and
£150 radio fitting fee.

I do the accounts of 7 couriers they make plenty of money but spend even more on petrol and tyres,
and you have to do all sorts of iffy jobs to make the $$$ read any sickpup courier story thread one that
stands out is when he did a Northern Run to Leicester (next to Birmingham) via Oxford a 400 mile round
trip finishing 2am that day mad bastard.

you also don't have the bike for it a 2smoke RS125 , no way jose! , fairing = $$$ to fix , 2 smoke =
2 smoke oil = petrol costs more cus you have to add oil , shitty MPG + high insurance + sticky tyres
=£150 every 3000 miles , while BT45s sometimes last up to 8000 miles.

look for a thread called courier bikes.

Tom used to do it in the 90s made a packet of money on a CB500 which he utterly destroyed and alledged
to have gone round the clock 4 times , he still speaks fondly of it , while showing me his numerous xrays.
and still has the bike which look awful

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 22 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be warned though, most of the bike couriers I know, DONT ride their bikes for pleasure at weekends....because they are on it all day every day, risking life & limb with all the town traffic on jobs, they generally steer clear at weekends. Ive heard it breaks down the enjoyment of biking.

But saying that, you wont know till you try it...every person has different experiences!

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:06 - 23 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
Be warned though, most of the bike couriers I know, DONT ride their bikes for pleasure at weekends....because they are on it all day every day, risking life & limb with all the town traffic on jobs, they generally steer clear at weekends. Ive heard it breaks down the enjoyment of biking.

But saying that, you wont know till you try it...every person has different experiences!

kinda like porn stars they cease to enjoy it , why do you think the cut away money shot is so common?.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 192 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1