Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Moving and Work

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

tomkapsalis
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:25 - 30 Oct 2006    Post subject: Moving and Work Reply with quote

It is a long story but I will cut it short. Basically due to family situations I have to move out. I have a few friends in Northampton and was planning on moving up there. The thing is I am not sure wheather I would be able to get a decent enough job to be able to financially support myself. I have quite crap grades. 2 b's and loads of d's for gcse's and don't really want to keep working for McDonalds.

My gf is moving up there to live with her dad. He said he could put me up for a few weeks put then I am on my own and I will have to get a job and my own flat etc.

I heard that labourers get quite good money and I am not afraid of hard work. I just don't know where to start when looking for a job that will support me. I have to be out by the end of December.

Any suggestions about what to do?

Note I have to be in Northampton because of friends and gf, etc.

Cheers in advance
Tom

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 18:51 - 30 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

contact recruitment agencies there

personally id prefer to get a an office temp job than labouring, especially in winter

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 18:53 - 30 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you?

If you're under 19 get in touch with Connexions
https://www.connexions.gov.uk/

They can help you find a college place to learn a trade (if you don't mind labouring, what about doing a building/joining course?)

Depending on your family circumstances you might be eligible for benefits to help you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tomkapsalis
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:56 - 30 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is I can't afford to not work. I won't be able to study as I need to work to support myself.
I am 17 and can you do office temping with grades like mine?

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 19:05 - 30 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomkapsalis wrote:
The thing is I can't afford to not work. I won't be able to study as I need to work to support myself.
I am 17 and can you do office temping with grades like mine?

Don't assume anything - seriously, go and have a chat with Connexions. There's loads of support and benefits you could get - you're entitled to them, so get them!

You can mix work and study - some courses are day-release. That is, you work 4 days a week, and do one day a week in college.

You're only 17 - don't rule anything out. A lot of these educational opportunities are only available to young people. If you wait, you might miss out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tomkapsalis
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:10 - 30 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate. I really don't mind doing any work as long as I can survive. I will get in contact with connexions asap and let you know how it goes.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 30 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the bright side you are 17 , you'll be snapped up by offices to be a Junior wages are shit
though and they only hire 17YOs cus they can pay them less , my office has an obsene staff turn
over made worse by juniors we've had 16 in my 7 months with this company already.

(our junors go home with £720/month gross)

Try be a postman or something , check the royal mail website , it will take along time for the
first few weeks , but you get the knack and know the streets soon and will finish deliveries
quick, leaving plenty of time,

this time is to be used wisely you don't want to be doing such a job forever , and you need to
improve to move onto something else , hard labour etc might be ok when you are in your teens
20s and 30s but older no way jose!
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:20 - 30 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you have to be 18 to do night shifts, but when you are you can usually get good money for pretty unskilled jobs.

If you're willing to work and willing to look for work, there's always jobs around.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 30 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Think you have to be 18 to do night shifts, but when you are you can usually get good money for pretty unskilled jobs.

If you're willing to work and willing to look for work, there's always jobs around.

the anti social hours for unskilled work premium is alot less these days around 2000 when I was doing such things you'd get £8 min to £14/h now with cheap labour imported its about 50p more than the min wage in many cases it is the min wage.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

tomkapsalis
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:30 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

See 720 a month wouldnt bother me as long as it would cover rent and living expenses.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:11 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is northampton?

put in a post code into your profile , the office jnr role has become open as one of the secretaries is leaving (the one I've been trying to shag)

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 11:32 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
where is northampton?

put in a post code into your profile , the office jnr role has become open as one of the secretaries is leaving (the one I've been trying to shag)

So what roles are you hoping for the lad to fill in Neutral ??
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

tomkapsalis
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:03 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Itchy wrote:
where is northampton?

So what roles are you hoping for the lad to fill in Neutral ??

Thats what I was wondering Confused

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you've got it wrong , one of the secretaries is leaving so the current jnr will be promoted to secretary ,

which means we need a new office jnr ,

the secretary I've been trying to knobble has pretty much left

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hold on I just had a thought , this is the 14YO you are illegally shagging right (its statutory nothing to do with consent since minors cannot by definition give consent not that I'm judging you by this),

and you are thinking of moving for that? ,

I'd say think carefully , a bit of poontang here and there isn't worth jeapardising your future for.

Take BWFC's outlook theres always others out there to get , and your judgement maybe clouded by your feelings, and he was held back from doing many things by his Ex and used to feel dead bitter about it.

tomkapsalis
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:39 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
hold on I just had a thought , this is the 14YO you are illegally shagging right (its statutory nothing to do with consent since minors cannot by definition give consent not that I'm judging you by this),

and you are thinking of moving for that? ,

I'd say think carefully , a bit of poontang here and there isn't worth jeapardising your future for.

Take BWFC's outlook theres always others out there to get , and your judgement maybe clouded by your feelings, and he was held back from doing many things by his Ex and used to feel dead bitter about it.

The reason I am moving there is partly because
Arrow I have to move out sharpish
Arrow I have lots of friends there
Arrow Things are generally cheaper there than down here in Kent
Arrow And finally yes she will be there

But generally I am going up there because of friends and the cost of living and there is the small fact she is going to be there. But when we split up (which we will - we are only young) I will still have friends up there.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok then , its just that many people move on such whims and don't move for themselves and get into a hole load of crap.

tomkapsalis
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:47 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am moving to be with her in a slight way but I was already set on going there anyway. This was before she told me she was going. So Itchy any ideas on what I should do?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

apply for jobs now with interviews for when you arrive , ASAP, crap temp jobs from job centre website can be looked for , also

www.thisis(town).co.uk will usually yield a few jobs

if you get luckly you'll score a job easy , thats the most important think keeping a roof over your head. and work = that

tomkapsalis
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:54 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't actually have a home for when I get there. So if I can get a job it's a month until my first pay, so I am homeless for a month.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

find a work today paid today , its a shit company but most big towns have them , its usually crap jobs and or freelancer work men , as said you get paid on the day.

tomkapsalis
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:57 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How am I going to find a job like that when I am still down here?
Oh god it's so confusing.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomkapsalis wrote:
How am I going to find a job like that when I am still down here?
Oh god it's so confusing.

use yell to find one? , job agencies etc , ride up to look before you come? prep the ground ,

its harsh playing what I did ie ride to the next town knowing nobody , but having a job , lunch is over godda work.

tomkapsalis
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:01 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ride up there but on a 50cc ped, no chance!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 184 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1