Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Seriously what is this world coming to!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

sagiliam
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:57 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Seriously what is this world coming to! Reply with quote

The new Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006 is just another example of britains enormous politically correct society!

this highlights some key points of the new regulations:

https://www.agepositive.gov.uk/lifecycle.cfm?sectionID=41&id=1

I just do not understand the people who make up these things! (Sorry if my last sentence wasnt politically correct, dont think i am allowed to stereotype am i!?)

Seriously, employers are no longer allowed to ask for someones date of birth on an application form. WHY THE HELL NOT!!?? there bound to find out the age, surely they would need it especially if it is an age restricted job...

moving from jobs...now i personally am not a racist person, well i never used to be but these days there are few things you can say that do not entail the label of being a racist. I was doing diversity the other day and we managed to get onto the subject of "black" or "coloured" and "white". Now some many err...multiracial, for one of a better word, people prefer different....(ah issue!)

Heres a typical scenario:
If i say "different classification"...its as if different race people are not the same as oneself

So what does one say?
For the benefit of my point i will use the term classification,please it is is no way intended to be racist.

Suffice to say, alot of what you could say/do 5years ago was fine but nowadays "freedom of speech" no longer exists. People are no longer entitled to their opinion.

Thanks for reading
rgds
Liam Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NinjaBoy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:30 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hearing about all this crap recently, however due to the amount of government bollocks always in the news I tend not to pay so much attention these days Neutral
I went for a job at Virgin recently and was told you have to be at least 18, so does that mean I could now re-apply?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 13 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its called best intentions , its supposed to be a good thing but generally buggers it up , such that older employees the company wants rid of will just be put on rolling contracts and to sack them all you have to do is not renew the contract or sack for incompetence or something.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 13 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is now one company that have said, after seeking legal advice they no longer allow their employees to send each other birthday cards as it could break this law.

Apparently you can't hold things like retirement parties anymore either Rolling Eyes

All of it.

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 13 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a recruitment company so these regulations affect me directly. They were 'sold' on the basis that it would allow more 'older' people to compete for jobs that would usually attract younger applicants. However with everything else these PC idiots do, it has been hijacked to include everyone - so consequently I cannot say in in an ad 'minimum 5 years experience' as that discriminates against 'younger people' who potentially could do the job but have got the required experience in 2 years! So, I can just imagine an 18 year old (with 2 years experience) running a marketing department with 20 people & a £10million budget....I am now being told to change my software so I don't have everyone's date of birth in case I discriminate on age! Well if Mr. Blair wants to pay for the re-write at £5,000 I will (reluctantly) do it - if not then Middle Finger

xlizx
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:10 - 13 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a bar, what with all this age-discrimination stuff, wont be object to being under eighteen and not allowed to drink or serve booze?
A girl I work with is 21 next month and dead lazy. She'll be on more than me, even though I work more than her, and have been told I work harder. Thats hardly fair either.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:10 - 14 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

xlizx wrote:
I work in a bar, what with all this age-discrimination stuff, wont be object to being under eighteen and not allowed to drink or serve booze?
A girl I work with is 21 next month and dead lazy. She'll be on more than me, even though I work more than her, and have been told I work harder. Thats hardly fair either.

Some companies like ASDA are scrapping the youth rate for the min wage , less scrupilous companies though I'm not
saying ASDA is an icon of integrity , sac their staff @ 21 cus they don't want to pay the extra 50p an hour you get, its
why my office will not hire anybody over 17 for office junior they don't want to pay full rates, its a pissy small saving
but people are petty and avarice is normal, unsurprisingly very few of them stick around more than a couple of weeks.

Though the job does actually require quite alot of work.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

dransy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:37 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be abit of topic here and youll all probably call me racist but what pisses me off is all the imagrants that come over here and they get all the jobs because companies can pay them like 3 quid an hour or some shit.

Racist or not it pisses me off its true and everyone knows it

dransy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSO where i used to work at a trade center people of the same age as me 19 , would start and they would be on 5.90 an hour straight away. I was there 2 years and was only on 5.42 an hour , yes its only a few pence more but WTF???

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no , in that you have to pay £5.35 an hour , but companies are generally nasty and
expect over time which is unpaid my last contract required me to do tons of unpaid overtime
I kicked up a fuss and was sacked.

Such migrants don't tend to kick up a fuss since they lose job they are "Obliged" to go home
as the boss holds on to their work permits and sending it to the Home office effectively means
deportation.Wether they actually go home or not is a different issue.

Its not just migrant workers though , UK companies do this with UK staff too , I know a Tesco
home delivery driver , they are only considered working when the van moves out of the shop and
they are unpaid for the loading and unloading periods at the end of their shifts, which effectively
means 1 unpaid hour a day

on the books
48.15 for £5.35 for 9 hours = legal min

Reality
48.15 @ £4.815 for 10 hour shift.

I've experienced it many times , HSBC we were expected to come in 45 minutes early to set up
the machines , only when the machines started printing were we considered to have started.

over a week they got 3.75 free hours off me = 180 per year unpaid. I kicked up a fuss and complained
and was sacked.

My boss often ambushes me @ 4.58pm I stand there and nod for a few minutes then go home
coming in the next day x number of minutes he took off me.

Its all part of Siggi's explaination of UK life in that the indentured (ie the working people) have the
entire system rigged against them to keep 5% wealthy, and to keep 95% down.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dransy wrote:
ALSO where i used to work at a trade center people of the same age as me 19 , would start and they would be on 5.90 an hour straight away. I was there 2 years and was only on 5.42 an hour , yes its only a few pence more but WTF???

its probably one of those formulas min wage + X , min wage goes up a bit = entry pay goes up , it makes staff resentful and saps morale , and makes people like me who even when employed in fairly secure jobs constantly on the look out for better jobs,

I'm currently drifting around the -50% loyalty mark and look for jobs every couple of days.

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:48 - 28 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an HR Manager and each new bit of legislation drives me even slightly madder.

This particular one really only serves to prove that you dont discriminate in the selection process. Once you employ the simple factors are that if you are going to provide a pension and look after the welfare of your employees you need their date of birth.

Its just madness.

There is no reason why they couldnt have brought in the legislation and allowed people with sufficient proof to put in a tribunal claim, without making 100 suggestions ie taking DOB off your application form. Any real case of age discrimination could more likely than not be proved without every employer having to change its working practices.

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:50 - 28 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dransy you should have made a case............

Quote:
What does equal pay really mean?
The Equal Pay Act, introduced in 1970, says that people should be paid the same for either:

the same or broadly similar work;
work rated as equivalent under an employer's job evaluation scheme - you can ask to see details of this;
work of equal value - that is, different but comparable in terms of the effort, skill, responsibility and decision-making required.

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 28 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick wrote:
I'm an HR Manager and each new bit of legislation drives me even slightly madder.

And how many CVs have you thrown out in the past based solely on the age of the applicant?

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
Stick wrote:

And how many CVs have you thrown out in the past based solely on the age of the applicant?

This is why the new law is perfectly correct.

When I was younger (about 25-28) I was a team leader, and we were taking people on for a trainee programmer role. I had 300 cv's to go through, and the 1st thing I did (I'm ashamed now) was throw out the ones of anyone older than me. That should be illegal. In the end age shouldn't matter one bit when you are applying for 99% jobs.

queen of string
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 31 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can still do ethnic origin monitoring and its ok to ask for date of birth on that, but youre not supposed to let the itnterviewers see those forms. I'm a small company I recruit , I do HR, I do the ethnic monitoring. How am I not supposed to show myself the form? I'm now gonna have to provide envelopes for the monitoring forms, more bloody expense.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 04 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its daft cos the education section on an application basically outlines when you went to school...so it wouldnt take a genius to work out someone's age, and discriminate that way!

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 16:30 - 05 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

People will still do exactly the same things.

God knows you can still do all the old one;

Cut the pile in half and throw away to remove all the unlucky ones

Throw away all the cv's with stupid names like mr unbongo etc

Throw away all the ones with spelling mistakes or no PERSONAL cover letter to your company.

Let alone the throwing all the ones in the bin that are at a lower level then you by your age.

Its the way you cut down 500 cv's to a handful of interviewees in a lunch hour.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

Teaman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 05 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

its tits up

theres one council who has banned the use of the phrase "pollitically correct" as its not "pollitically correct" anymore?

go figure Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1