Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Too soon to change job?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 21:28 - 01 Nov 2006    Post subject: Too soon to change job? Reply with quote

Right, basic outlay is this, I have started working in an office job 50 miles away from where I live, I have been doing this job just over a month and am on a 3 month contract with the possibility of going perm at the end of it, which is likely to certain assuming I don't ball's it up.

Having done some quick math's I've worked out that if I got a job within 10 mile's of my house I would be able to keep the same amount of money in my pocket working a minimum wage job as I am in my current one, due to the expense of travelling. Working closer would also mean dropping the 50 minute commute allowing me to do more outside of work.

My question is this, would looking for a new job now then taking it should it arise look bad in the short and long term? I am only required to give a week's notice and do not intend to go onto a permanent contract in the current job, although would likely stay on the temp contract past the end of this one should nothing else arrise. I am ok to work the job for the 3 month's I am not desperate to leave. The job hold's no long term prospect's nor do I wish to move to the area which it is near.

My previous experience consist's of 3 part time job's worked mainly whilst at college and a 2 month stint doing full time night-shift work, which I couldnt hack so gave up and went back to the next job I could, which was part-time, although normally 30 hour's a week.

Thanks for any useful advice.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 01 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are the first person to whom I could say 'You'd be better off being a courier'.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 01 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're on a temporary contract, or are you on a probationary period of three months? If the former, you can get out of there no bother at all. A ridiculous distance commuting is quite a valid reason for leaving a job also. You just need to work out the best way to put it when they say "didn't you realise the distance would be a problem?".

If the latter, you can still get out, you just need to discuss it with your manager, HR etc.

In the short term, prospective employers could ask potentially awkward questions if you haven't got your head screwed on right. From that point of view, it'd be easier to serve out your 3 months and give your current employers a bit more notice than they require so that they can get someone else in in plenty of time.

In the long term, if someone else is happy to offer you a job, they won't give a monkey's about your previous job once they have decided to employ you. After that no-one will care at all.

For a lot of people, a 50 mile commute isn't all that big a deal really. For me, anything much over about 30 miles is a bit much like hard work, especially in the winter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 00:08 - 02 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a strage temp to perm contract. My thinking is it's likely they would try to keep me on a temp contract after the 3 month's is up anyway. I only have to give one week's notice as it stands.

Quote:
You just need to work out the best way to put it when they say "didn't you realise the distance would be a problem?".

My answer would be no I didn't. I was unaware how much it would affect my personal time.

Quote:
You are the first person to whom I could say 'You'd be better off being a courier'.

You bloody courier's, one let me go past last week when it was pissing it down, all the way up the M23 and round the M25. Bastard was using my trick of letting someone else go in front so if someone's going to get pulled out on it's more likely them. Laughing

He did then up the pace, which was interesting, 90 mph filtering in that weather!

I'm reasonably good at filtering now, wanna giz a job mister? Laughing

scoota bk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:34 - 02 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like your current job, hand in your weeks notice and think no more of it. There's plenty of jobs about if you're willing to work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 02 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:

I'm reasonably good at filtering now, wanna giz a job mister? Laughing

If you can show a good knowledge of London you'd have no problem getting one.

Considering the cost maintaining your bike, your insurance, your gear and your petrol bill at least they would all be deductable and you'd pay a hell of a lot less NI.

Kind of worth thinking about in your position.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:43 - 02 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just note it down as 'temporary' or 'contracting' (sounds posher Smile ) - suggesting that you were maybe just filling in for someone, working for a temping agency etc.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 13:11 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done precisely that on my CV G.

I know area's of London well enough Sickpup and can get to them, my knowledge of individual road's isn't too good though. I know sod all about west London (Kingston etc) and North, anything past Camden really. Anything East I'm ok with.

Had considered doing cycle coruiering, would this mean working a smaller area, pretty much restricted to the square mile with some trip's to Docklands etc?

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 14:40 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Sickpup

im curious..

do you even need a good knowledge of london now? with the advent of affordable GPS, i work round the corner from 'courier systems' (dunno if you are familiar with them, i see them all over london throughout the day, so assuming they are well established)

new faces all the time, lots of them with GPS, often foreigners..

same applies to our company, whenever a driver if off sick, we ring an agency, and more often than not the guy they send has his own GPS, its also common that he can barely speak a sentence of good english, yet manages to do all the drops and bring the van back at the end

its not good for the repuation of the company i have to say, as all our customers are regular and often these muppets we hire refuse to make the delivery to anywhere other than the front door, but thats another story with couriers i would imagine
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty easy to do multi drops, you just photo copy the page of the A to Z you're working in, mark your drops and then route between them.

When doing ad hoc work you have to be able to modify routes in your head quickly and accurately as you ride. Thats the hard bit.

Courier systems has the most beaten up managers and controllers in the industry. Truscott and Oliver the bosses cannot be trusted according to just about every ex-rider.

Reuben

You don't know central well enough and I doubt you're fit enough to be a cycle courier. Also how would you get to work every morning?

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 19:44 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting to work every morning wouldn't be a problem, though would obviously add to my cycling, 10 miles is hardly anything, 20 miles extra a day would get draining but you get used to doing more miles. For cycling I'm reasonably fit, fairly regularly do day long ride's, so wouldnt forsee that as a problem. Lack of knowledge would be I'd agree. There's only one real way to overcome all of those obstacles anyway, that's to just get on with it.

Got some thing's I can look into locally to me, Dartford area, so will chase those up and see what happen's.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 04 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Courier systems has the most beaten up managers and controllers in the industry

Is that them at Ladbroke Grove?

Mate of mine was there for a bit, controlling nights, a couple of years ago.

Couldn't see anyone beating him up, LMAO.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 04 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I'd just note it down as 'temporary' or 'contracting' (sounds posher Smile ) - suggesting that you were maybe just filling in for someone, working for a temping agency etc.

Hoorah for the words "temping", "contracting" and "consultant" (even posher, LOL) ... they fill questionable gaps in CVs rather well Thumbs Up

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 04 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've offered it elsewhere so i will offer the same to you.

If you like Reuben, send me your CV and i will reformat and try to improve it for you.
Its surprising how much just the layout can affect your chances of getting a job.

If your interested,send me a pm. - no charge like Wink

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 11:35 - 04 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

yup, near the Harrow Road end, just off Ladbroke Grove on Kensal Road, i work on the same road
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:06 - 04 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Mate of mine was there for a bit, controlling nights, a couple of years ago.

Couldn't see anyone beating him up, LMAO.

Can't see him making a living either. Controllers there earn a lot less than anywhere else. As the second controller at one company I was earning double what the second van controller at courier systems earned.

I never go on the box for less than 25G on a 40 hour week. Courier systems like you to do long 12 hour days 5 days a week for 18.5G.

Reuben

To earn £100 a day you would need to do in the region of 33+ jobs which would mean you would be riding in the region of 100 miles a day between the hours of 9-6, add another 20 miles onto that for your commute and 30-45 minutes each way and thats a very long day. Regardless you would be expected to work a 9 hour day minimum.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 06 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Hoorah for the words "temping", "contracting" and "consultant" (even posher, LOL) ... they fill questionable gaps in CVs rather well Thumbs Up

ditto that...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1