Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

super unleaded? good/bad

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigbigboy88
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:00 - 28 Apr 2002    Post subject: super unleaded? good/bad Reply with quote

does anyone put super unleaded in their bike? i've heard that if you put it in they dont run as good as the timing is set for normal unleaded? i have a yam 600, and thinking about putting shell optimax in it, has anyone got any ideas on this matter cheers mat

Stevo

PostPosted: 18:11 - 28 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep i always try to use super unleaded in my ZX6R. It reccomends a min of 95RON, and super unleaded is 97RON, so i prefer to fill with super whenever possible. The ZX6R has nearly a 13:1 compression ratio, so i reckon that normal unleaded must be the absolute minimum that it would tolerate. I dont worry about paying a few pence extra for super, as it never costs more than a tenner to fill anyway, but if i cant get super when i need to fill up then i just put some normal unleaded in, until i see an Esso station.
You must be logged in to rate posts

PostPosted: 20:02 - 28 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there no down sides to it then like engine running too hot or valves burning out?

Stevo

PostPosted: 23:06 - 28 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant see that using a higher octance fuel could make you run hotter, or burn out valves. On a four stroke its usaully having a weak mixture at high revs that causes valves to burn out. Many early GSXR600's with race cans were prone to that, but then thats what a jet kit is for!
Theres some stories that i have heard, either that or old wives tales. Such as people say that you should run kawasakis like mine on mineral oil for the first 20k, to prevent any oil consumpstion, and give best power. But i have put Pro4 oil in my bike as a 14500 rpm superbike engine in my opinion needs somthing better than mineral oil! A m8 of a m8 reckons that he has worn his R6 out by using fully synth oil, and cos he gives it a right hammering, that his valves could drop, so he was going to get a new head from a crashed bike for it. Sounds dubious to me!

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:12 - 28 Apr 2002    Post subject: 1 Reply with quote

i always use supper i wouldnt reck your egine, just goves u a higher octane level giving u a little more power, not much though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PostPosted: 05:17 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get shell optimax in your country, if so avoid using it! unless you like to burn holes in your pistons

PostPosted: 11:13 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i'm using shell optimax whats this about burmning holes in the piston?

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 11:42 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: Crap about Octane ratings... Reply with quote

There's some bollox out there about octane ratings...

Petrol is made up of Octane and Heptane (and a few other lighter hydrocarbons) the Octane rating the is the percentage of Octane in the fuel, so octane rating 98 is 98% ocatane 2% Heptane (and others) Octane can be comspressed more before it spontaneously combusts, Heptane less so.

in an Ordinary engine, running ordinary compression ratios, Higher Octane rating fuel is irrelevant, as it's being ignited before it reaches it's optimum point of compression, and so unburnt fuel is getting passed into the exhaust (hence the Eggy smell in Cats on cars, unburnt fuel getting turned into Hydrogen Sulphide)

A lower octane rating for machines with a lower compression ratio (2 strokes) works fine.. Most of the Higher Octane = More power is crap meant to line the oil companies pockets.

Have a look for some more info..

https://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm

https://www.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

https://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm
(I know the links are car based, but the science is the same)

Irronically, with the advent of Cats on cars, they have become less efficient than if they had continued using leaded fuel. As Leaded fuel could handle higher compression before igniting, "lean burn" technology meant you could have artificially high "ocatane" ratings by addding Ethyl and Lead. Higher compression meant cleaner burning.

FOr Unleaded fuel to work, it ignites at a lower compression, so the engine is less efficient, as you need more fuel in the cylinder to get the same power,

One of tyhe biggest advocates of Cats was a company in CAlifornia that had designed and patened CAT technology using US govermnment grants, so it was in both Their interest and the US gov's to promote Cat usage. The fact that most cats use heavy metals, mined from third world contries, and the pollution caused by their extraction is worse than ANY amount of cars seems to have excaped their notice.
<Rant mode off>

I did a study of this when I was at uni working on engine design.

a

PostPosted: 12:46 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if its as much a problem for road bikes, but most people I know who race bikes do not use optimax, It has cuased a lot of problems, the biggest problem being holes in pistons.

I wouldnt use caltex either, I used it in the kart once, was well down on power, endedup up that the fuel was contaminated and the fuel filter was becoming blocked

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:34 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: 1 Reply with quote

Unleaded has a octane level of 95 and super has 97+ thats its like adding octane booster it dont make much different, u every used power pills? they are class
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 16:07 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

do them pill's really work?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:00 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: Re: Crap about Octane ratings... Reply with quote

babyblade wrote:

Petrol is made up of Octane and Heptane (and a few other lighter hydrocarbons) the Octane rating the is the percentage of Octane in the fuel, so octane rating 98 is 98% ocatane 2% Heptane (and others) Octane can be comspressed more before it spontaneously combusts, Heptane less so.

Close. The octane rating of a fuel is the resistance of that fuel to knocking, measured against the resistance to knock of a fuel of octane / heptane.

Once you have sufficiently high octane rating for the engine to run safely at the required revs, you will gain no power at all from using a higher octane fuel (unless you have a car equiped with a knock sensor, mainly turbo cars), and will actually slightly loose power. The loss of power is unlikely to be noticeable between 95 and 97ron. Basically an engine is designed and set up for optimun performance on a particular fuel. Higher octane fuels tend to be slower burning, and in an engine set up for 95 RON fuel, a higher octane fuel will burn later in the combustion cycle and produce marginally less power.

When I was working in Belgium 98RON super unleaded was only 1p a litre more than normal unleaded, and I played around with it in the cars. With my 1.3 lhd Alfa 33 (carbed car, setup for super unleaded) it gave maginally better power, but mainly made it far easier to avoid pinking (with normal unleaded it would pink on high throttle openings at lower revs under load). With the 1.7 16V Alfa 33 (you can select the fuel requirements by swapping a relay, but it was set up for 95 RON) it made no difference at all. With my better halfs Maserati 222 (2.8L twin turbo V6, set up with a knock sensor and able to adjust boost and ignition timing to take account of the fuel) the car was quite noticeably faster on 98 RON fuel

All the best

Keith

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:00 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: 1 Reply with quote

yeah they are pritty good u can really notice it

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:04 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

so keth in other words i may as well swhich from super to normal unleaded?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:45 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
so keth in other words i may as well swhich from super to normal unleaded?

On a standard engine, yes. On some Aprilias they specify 98 octane fuel, but not on the NSR

By the way, there are several methods of rating the octane level of a fuel. The 2 main method are the RON (Research Octane Number, used in Europe) and the MON (Motor Octane Number). The RON rating is, as a rough rule of thumb, 10 points higher than the MON figure for the same fuel. In America they use the PON (Pump Octane Number) which is the average of the RON and MON figures, which is why US octane ratings for fuels always look pathetic

All the best

Keith

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 09:23 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Re: Crap about Octane ratings... Reply with quote

Keith Walker wrote:
babyblade wrote:

Close. The octane rating of a fuel is the resistance of that fuel to knocking, measured against the resistance to knock of a fuel of octane / heptane.

The resistance to spontaneous combusition of octane due to the required higher compression IS what reduces knocking, a fuel that combusts too early (ie Low compression) ignites AT or Just before TDC, as opposed to Proper "combustion". It's the Early Ignition (Pre-ignition/Detonation) that causes the knocking noise...

but I think we are starting to get a bit pedantic... we both agree that higher octane fuel is a waste of money uless you have the correct machinery to exploit it...

a

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:19 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Re: Crap about Octane ratings... Reply with quote

babyblade wrote:

The resistance to spontaneous combusition of octane due to the required higher compression IS what reduces knocking, a fuel that combusts too early (ie Low compression) ignites AT or Just before TDC, as opposed to Proper "combustion". It's the Early Ignition (Pre-ignition/Detonation) that causes the knocking noise...

Yes, but my point is that there is little or no octane in petrol. Plenty of other rubbish, such as alcohol, and fuels can be over 100 octane (normally only for aviation use).

babyblade wrote:
but I think we are starting to get a bit pedantic... we both agree that higher octane fuel is a waste of money uless you have the correct machinery to exploit it...

Yep, the pedants are revolting!

All the best

Keith

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:25 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this a definate NO Confused All this science talk, should understand it as ime doing chem a level as well as physics. Oh well, thats what you get from skim reading the posts!!!
Thanks
Dyl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1