Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thailand Road Tour 20th October 2006

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

ducandy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:36 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Thailand Road Tour 20th October 2006 Reply with quote

Hi,

I am Canadian but live in China. I have booked a special bike tour in the north West of Thailand to ride with the owner of a bike tour company based in the North West of Thailand. I have booked the tour to ride alone but in hindsight it would be far more fun with just a couple more riders.

The object is for the owner to map out routes that are very rarely ridden and it's promised to be a superb time. The tour is 10 days including accommodation, bikes, fuel, food, etc leaving Chiang Mai city on 20th October. The company is a legitimate, bonded company and I have arranged a special price with the owner as it is slightly out of season.

We need 2 riders! Any one interested please contact me. Thanks

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 18:56 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might aswell post the price here

what bikes ?

how many miles in total on the trip ?

ducandy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:04 - 22 Aug 2006    Post subject: Thailand Tour more details Reply with quote

The tour is leaving 20th October riding for 7 days. You have the option to have nights before and after the tour to make it 10 days (or more if you wish). I am waiting for the company to send me a price as I have altered it slightly to suit my work holiday so I am only having 9 days and I am probably upgrading the bike.

Cost no more than 700 GBP plus flights. Includes Honda Super 400 (upgrade available), Breakfast, Lunch, Fuel, accommodation. Disatance of around 1500 kilometers.

The company have a website but the tour I have arranged is a prvate tour using different routes as shown on the web-site. [url]https://www.motorbikethailand.com/Goldentriangle.htm [/url]

Any other info contact them but mention you are interested in riding with Me (Steve)

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 03:47 - 22 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

ok so google tells me that we wd know that bike as a cb400

and i also found this which was relevant and interesting

https://www.pjscuba.com/expatmotorcycles.htm

and this is your link

https://www.motorbikethailand.com/Goldentriangle.htm

i quite like the look of the dirt bike holiday

what are you upgrading to ?

ducandy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 05:06 - 22 Aug 2006    Post subject: Upgrade a super 400 in Thailand Reply with quote

I was thinking of Upgrading to a 750 but I am assured the 400 copes perfectly. You do need to keep the revs up on the steep hills apparently but I can change to a Honda Bros which has a little more low end power. Call me old fashioned but I prefer to work a bike a little.

Initially I was going to go on the Enduro tour but after a few serious scrapes in the past (Off Road) I wasn't going to risk it. The owner of the company is an ex Enduro/MX competition rider so it could be fun.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 14:44 - 22 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 22 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducandy wrote:
I was thinking of Upgrading to a 750 but I am assured the 400 copes perfectly. You do need to keep the revs up on the steep hills apparently but I can change to a Honda Bros which has a little more low end power. Call me old fashioned but I prefer to work a bike a little.

Initially I was going to go on the Enduro tour but after a few serious scrapes in the past (Off Road) I wasn't going to risk it. The owner of the company is an ex Enduro/MX competition rider so it could be fun.

And this is the exact point Colin lost interest...

colin1 wrote:
cool

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:49 - 23 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, made me more interested. i like offroading but cant really justify buying an offroad bike as i wdnt use it enough and i wouldnt wash it enough either.

i cdnt really justify going somewhere and hiring a road bike which isnt as good as one of the road bikes i have at home, so a holiday where you hire out offroad bikes sounds pretty good to me and if the guy knows a bit about off road biking, he would be good to learn from

hence -- cool

i had also been thinking to going to thailand at some point to be seedy and had never thought of combining that with motorbikes

queen of string
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 23 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldnt matter what you rode out there Colin imho, the whole experience of riding out there is so different to anything else I've experienced, that even on your own bike, it would be like another world.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met a few people who did these riding experiences, and some bikers who are affiliated to the Golden Triangle. Be warned it'll be hot and sticky, and also Thailands idea's of roads arent really anything like ours. But if you are in China already - then you'll know that!

Why not go on Hospitality Club website and see if there are people already out that way who would want to join you...or Travellerspoint.com, these forums are usually packed with people in different countries trying to meet up with people to do tours, excursions with them?

Grubby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:56 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of the people that Clanger's referring to.
I rode a 250 Yamaha trailie for 10 days in the North of Thailand on what can only be described as a variety of different road conditions. at the bottom of this thread is a pic of what the road to Mae Hong Son (Via Pai) in the North West by the Myanmar border looks like, for a visual reference.
One of favourite places on the planet is a small predominantly Teak built town called Chiang Khan in the Loei district (To the North East of Chiang Mai). I stayed in a charming guesthouse both times that I've visited this beautiful little riverside town. I think it was called the Rimkong & was run by a Thai ex city dweller & his sister.
The motorcycle hire shop that I'd recommend in Chang Mai is run by German Joe & a Brit called Pommy Tom, this is their number & fax number 053 - 251 186.
Their bikes are maintained to a far higher standard than anyone elses bikes in the area & you'd be a bloody fool to go elsewhere actually. Also Joe will make sure that your first night in Chang Mai is one you won't forget if mine was anything to go by.
If he offers you a go in his sidecar outfit you'd better be of a brave disposition! Shocked
Here's some good advice on riding in the North of Thailand, admittedly most of this was submitted by me!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A546437
https://ridetheroad.com/images/ratings/Thailand/Thailand2.jpg

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 22:24 - 12 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubby wrote:
I'm one of the people that Clanger's referring to.

Nah, you werent...
You never even crossed my mind...I was actually referring to friends I made whilst out travelling!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1