Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ride abroad the Q

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

magpiemale
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:37 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: ride abroad the Q Reply with quote

I have never driven or ridden abroad though I have been to america and europe "calais" but the roads seemed weired..how does it feel like and what prep work do you need to do to ride abroad...wished everyone rode on the same side then life would be easier.would like to visit my family in germany but scared of the roads being on the other side like have visions of going down the up road lol
magpiemale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 12:07 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find it a particulalry big deal...

Roundabouts are a bit weird at first, but you quickly get used to them... When new to riding abroad, it's better to keep to areas with some traffic, initially, as it's hard to forget what ide you're on when everyone else is doing it.

one thing that catches a lot of people out is pulling out form a pertrol station on the other side of the road, as you'll be on the left, in the direction you're heading, so have to remeber to pull across the lane befor pressing on.

other than that.. just take it easy.. it's easier on a bike than in a car, as at least you're on ythe correct side of the vehicle Wink

a

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 13:36 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same a Feef, I found it came quite nateurally very quickly,although it's easier on a bike than in a car. The only time I had to really think about it was first thing in the morning, when the old grey matter is a bit on the sleepy side Embarassed

magpiemale
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:24 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the sign's telling you in the language where to go or is it euro friendly now? in france,germany etc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 18:53 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

magpiemale wrote:
what about the sign's telling you in the language where to go or is it euro friendly now? in france,germany etc

the signs are 90% of the time, identical to ours...

and for directions, well.. look for the town name, or road number and a big arrow.. easy Very Happy

a

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive driven quite a lot in europe but havnt ridden yet. The first time took a little getting used to as i arrived late at nightand at first i could only work out how to turn right Laughing

You quickly figure it out and get used to it, you just watch other traffic and its easy to figure out. Its just a case of turning left is a mirrored version of how we turn right, meaning crossing over the road...but really it comes quickly. Its actually coming back home be careful to fully appreciate that your driving on the left again.

The signs are easy enough, the images are easy enough to either recognise or at least figure out. Signs for towns and cities will obviously have the name on and an arrow and you'll pick up words easily like alternative words for centre like centrum etc.

It all comes very easily to you when your out there, and if youve at least been to calais then youve already done the first step.

https://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/zeddragen/zeddragensig-1.jpg

magpiemale
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:24 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice shall prepare nearer the time but should be a laugh

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I'd stick to France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland. You can't go wrong.

Failing that, stick a bid band of red tape on your right glove/ speedo, it'll soon jog your memory! Laughing

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think driving on the right with a bike is very natural, nothing to worry about at all. Tight bends feel a bit weird at first because suddenly the curb is on the wrong side... but I think after you've done it a bit it becomes second nature, now I feel equally at home driving on either side.

By car is harder, you have the gear stick by the wrong hand and having loads of car on your right feels really weird and hard to judge... I know a couple of english people who smashed the right mirror off their vehicles soon after arriving in france Smile

el saxo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:12 - 18 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen wrote:
I know a couple of english people who smashed the right mirror off their vehicles soon after arriving in france Smile

I was guilty of that one, first time I ever drove in Europe i almost took the mirror off my hire car while I was looking for a parking space in Strasbourg! You soon make the adjustment though, so on a bike it should be even easier...

drumwrecker
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:38 - 18 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done 2500 miles in France and 1500 to Germany and back on the bike and another 2500 miles in France in my car this year.
It's everyones worry of accidently pulling onto the left hand side of the road. The only times this has happened to me was pulling out from a minor road onto a major one and pulling out from a petrol station.
Both times there was no other traffic on the road so my advice would be to be to have some kind of reminder on the bike or to wait for some traffic to come along first and pull into petrol stations like you were going round a French roundabout.
On roundabouts your road sign will be there but only on the exit so keep going round until you find it, the road number might be on the top of the pole. Sign will be flat on, not like ours so is confusiing at first.
Yellow diamond sign with black line through it means priority from right without black line means you have priority.

diviron
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:03 - 20 Nov 2006    Post subject: riding in europe Reply with quote

You'll enjoy it , just take it easy getting away from ferry ports / chunnel . You will find continental motorists have more concideration for motorcyclists than in uk . Everywhere you go you will be welcomed , go for it

magpiemale
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:08 - 21 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah british driver's are arrogant and cannot get to where they are going fast enough.I had one or two the other day (separate days)right behind me with hardly any space between me and them and that was even with my wife on the back.I was thinking if she fell off or something had of happened the other car behind me would not have enough time to react.I want a top box but they are bloody expensive over £200 and that is just for the box

diviron
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:33 - 22 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

M&P are knocking some top box's out cheapo
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1