Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

House Market Crash

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 11:40 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: House Market Crash Reply with quote

Its a sad day for society when half the population needs and hopes for the misery of the other half. But, being a pragmatist, I can see the silver lining in this cloud.

Quote:
It is hypothesised that the high demand in the buying market at the moment has been born out of expectations of fast price rises, and if this does not happen then the fall may occur - the results of unfounded speculation.

https://www.lettingnews.com/2006/11/uk_property_heading_for_a_cras.html

Quote:
And last week, the U.K.'s Financial Services Authority (FSA) warned banks to cover their backs should house prices plunge by as much as 40%.

https://www.forbes.com/markets/economy/2006/11/22/uk-housing-economy-markets-equity-cx_cn_1122markets09.html

Am I a bad person for wanting the market to crash so I can get a realistically priced house? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 12:09 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, it seems logical. I've been itching to get my first house, considering a 38 yr mortgage because the acceleration has been ridiculous in York. However, my itch has been fired by the thought that house prices will just rise and rise until it would be impossible for me to get a house. It seems I'm not the onlyone with this train of thought so it seems logical that the rise could be blamed on this.

I'm going to hold off now and just put money aside.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
I'll laugh my fucking tits off when it happens. All the tossers who think houses are for poncing profit instead of living in and making a home. Bring it on. Thumbs Up

What's wrong with trying to make a profit in housing? We're gonna get sod all of a pension when we retire so we may as well try and get some security for the future from somewhere and plunging all your spare cash into some private pension fund isn't the way to go either!

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 13:09 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to think a housing crash would be the catalyst needed to wake up the sheep population to just how f-cked over they are being by the government.

It would be a political disaster, so the government will be working with banks to keep find ways to let people borrow more and more money. I agree with Siggi in so much as having the population in debt means they are too tied down to challenge the status quo.

You can now borrow 5 times your salary, traditionally, you could only borrow 3 times. There's talk of making mortgages inheritable, passing debt on to your kids.

Price rises will slow down, but I don't think we'll have a crash.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
I'll laugh my fucking tits off when it happens. All the tossers who think houses are for poncing profit instead of living in and making a home. Bring it on. Thumbs Up

Agreed, I'll be a tad pissed off if it ends up being worth less than my mortgage though. Twisted Evil

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 13:20 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everybody refused to buy any house for a couple of month's prices would drop quick enough. The majority of people are stupid enough to want to be in exactly the same position as all those at the top.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 13:45 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
If everybody refused to buy any house for a couple of month's prices would drop quick enough. The majority of people are stupid enough to want to be in exactly the same position as all those at the top.

If they continue to rise unchecked then regardless of stupidity, people will not be able to buy

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
Houses are for fucking living in and making a home, not a means for screwing yet more money out of the capitalist whore.

So exactly how do you intend to fund your retirement then? You must earn a hell of a salary to be able to save enough to retire with, or perhaps you just expect the government (i.e. the rest of us) to pay?

Houses are a commodity like anything else. You can't just expect to be given everything in life, you actually have to work for things and trade is the basis of all life. If you follow the same argument then supermarkets shouldn't be able to make a profit on our food and we should be able to get it at cost. If they dont make money they won't trade so we will all end up going back to building our own farms to live and work in. That would be a nice exitence. Not! Although I'm sure they are some people that would just love that sort of life!

Face it, life costs money and you just have to go earn it in whatever way you can.

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we're moving from a 4 bedroomed detached, in Bolton.

Been Valued at £275,000 Thumbs Up

Hopefully be moving to Bury or Horwich Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:24 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tis easy and not such a problem unless you've bought a property intended as a short term investment. Prices crash, so when prices are very low suddenly lots of people are very interested in buying again. Which pushes prices back up. Smile

Prices crashing won't particularly help the average buyer, dirt cheap properties when prices have crashed I'd expect to have lots of interest from rental companies and people buying them as investments. So the average person will then have a good choice of houses to rent or newly refurbished houses to buy once the market recovers.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 14:38 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can;t see prices falling below the current rate either, however it will give me a couple fo years to put some aside and let my wages catch up with the market price.

A fair point is the fact that building a house costs so much that a new house costing 100 od grand is probably just right given the builders cost then markup.

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant wait for the house prices to crash. I have a £50k mortgage & my house is currently worth about £90k. I dont know why as I wouldn't pay that much for it!!. I'm right on the bottom of the housing ladder so the type of house I live in will always be in demand anyway.

Quote:
So exactly how do you intend to fund your retirement then? You must earn a hell of a salary to be able to save enough to retire with, or perhaps you just expect the government (i.e. the rest of us) to pay?

Well I dont know about siggi, but I expect the government to pay me the pension they promised me. After all I have been paying NI since I started work, and will have to do so unto the day I have to stop working. I bought my house as a home. Not as a retirement portfolio. How do you know the Government aren't going to redevelop your area? ie, cpo your house for rock bottom value then rebuild new housing to offer to sell to you at an inflated price?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:58 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

House prices are not THAT bad currently. I made the mistake of buying a house in 1989. At the time mortgages were easily available at 3.5 times single income. Interest rates maxed out for a short time at 15%, being above 10% until 1993. Basically means that payments on the same mortgage were 2~3 times what they would be now. Add inflation into in and houses are a lot more affordable than they were then.

Only real nasty is raising the deposit. Although you could get a 100% mortgage.

Will there be a crash? Doubt it. Suspect they will stop going up soon, and flatline for a good few years.

Do think house prices are hideously high, but they have been for ages.

All the best

Keith

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the market did "crash" then i for one, wouldn't sell my house even though ive got it for sale at the moment, if its not worth more than my mortgage i'll stay put.
The thing that makes me laugh is we all buy houses and if they dont make money were pissed off (me included) but then will happily buy a bike/car and loose £1k a year on it!

gavin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

there isnt going to be a crash in house prices, not like '89 at least. it was lamont's mis-management of the economy and the uk's withdrawl from the ERM that caused the financial crisis that led to that crash.

the mechanisms put in place by gordon brown and eddie george and his successors mean that those things are unlikely to happen again.

keith is right, in real terms we are much better off now than in the late 80's/ early 90's..........however........... today, total personal borrowing is many, many times higher per capita than it was back then......if there is a forced economic crisis (however caused - economic mismanagement, act of terrorism, dispute with russia over gas supply maybe........individual debt overload [see below] ) the consequences will be much much worse than they were in 1989.........

Simon Moon, This is Money - Thursday, November 2, 2006 wrote:

Britain faces a debt doomsday where the number of adults struggling to meet their repayments outnumbers those who can cope, it was claimed today.

James Falla, director of debt solutions consultancy Thomas Charles, warned that the country could quickly reach a tipping point where those in financial trouble form the majority.

His comments followed the publication of a survey that showed the number of adults reporting regular problems repaying their debts has risen 9% from almost 1.8m to 2.5m over the past six months.

One in five adults now have unsecured debts of more than £10,000 according to the Thomas Charles report, which also reported that women are by far the worst affected.

The company says since last April another 400,000 UK adults have swelled the total of all those with debts of more than £10,000 to 8.4m (20%). There has been a marked rise in adults reporting regular problems repaying their debts - up 9% from almost 1.8m (21%) in April to 2.5m (30%) in October.

Women who owe more than £10,000 were found to be the group experiencing the most financial difficulty, with 1 in 3 (33%) now reporting regular problems repaying their debts, an increase of 7% since April. Just over a quarter of men report regular problems repaying their debts an increase of 8% since April 2006.

As more people than ever struggle to meet their repayments, the number of people teetering on the brink of insolvency has also rocketed. Around 1.4m adults over the £10,000 debt threshold say they are 'quite likely', 'likely' or 'certain' to declare themselves bankrupt or take out an IVA. That's an increase of 4% from 1.1m in April 2006.

James Falla said: 'We are currently witnessing a correlation of increased borrowing alongside a massive decrease in the number of people coping with their debts. If action is not taken to curb borrowing trends in the UK, the situation is likely to spiral over the coming years.'

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:33 - 24 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavin wrote:
however........... today, total personal borrowing is many, many times higher per capita than it was back then......if there is a forced economic crisis (however caused - economic mismanagement, act of terrorism, dispute with russia over gas supply maybe........individual debt overload [see below] ) the consequences will be much much worse than they were in 1989.........

Yep, and a jump in interest rates would certainly trigger such a crisis.

I bought a house in 1989 Brick Wall . In about 2002 the value of it finally got up what I paid for it.

All the best

Keith

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:29 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sooner we ALL start renting, the better.

Everyone seems to see property as a way to make money... which is fine, except some people just want a home, and have to compete with investors...

get rid of private landlords.
get rid of "1st time buyer deals"
get rid of stupid amount more than you earn mortgages

If you wnat to own, the best way is to start a culture of long term fixed rate mortgages.... no boom/ bust

better still lease.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:54 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Possibly a solution would be to make income from houses (whether rent, or just increase in value) more taxable in the year it is earnt.

All the best

Keith

Zimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:

Well I dont know about siggi, but I expect the government to pay me the pension they promised me. After all I have been paying NI since I started work, and will have to do so unto the day I have to stop working.

I'm sorry to have to disillusion you Ow but don't even come close to relying on that.
The NI money you are paying does not go into a big pot, being stored up for your retirement. It pays today's pensions, and there is no pot.
The ratio of employed taxpayers paying NI to old folks drawing pensions is slipping and will keep on doing so for as long as we keep living longer. Currently there is one pensioner for about every two working people, and that ratio is falling all the time. Fewer people paying in and more people taking out means that when you retire there is unlikely to be enough money to pay you much of a pension.
You'll be glad of the capital you can release from your house then!!!

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimbo wrote:

You'll be glad of the capital you can release from your house then!!!

It should be like the Malaysian / Singaporean System where there is a big pot, which the government keeps for you, and combines
them all together in one huge pot to loan money out to thus making profits for the holders.

When you retire you can take a lump sum ,

Heh Pyramid schemes are illegal , except government ones ie the NI system and the (non existant) pension pots ,
its even worse the SSP , which you pay into but the rules were changed so you get nothing , yet still have to pay for.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1