Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What do you do to motivate yourself?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Resurrection
Ballast Boy

PostPosted: 03:37 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: What do you do to motivate yourself? Reply with quote

Exercise wise.

When it comes to working out im a bone idle fucker and always think of a reason not to.

The thing is i used to be really really active up until being about 14.

I played rugby for my county and played for manchester schoolboys at football and did cross country and rode my pushbike everywhere.

I did start getting back into it but i've been in and out of hospital over the last couple of years and had surgery etc and as a result my weight fluctuates.

I'm not a beer monster anymore and dont touch any party substances.

I'm just at that stage again where i can work out after breaking my knee back at the start of the year but i just cannot be bothered to do anything.

i've been a member of 3 or 4 gyms but unless im with my mates i haven't got the competetivness and would rather do anything else.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Res

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:45 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial arts..

Pick carefully some are useless for fitness, finding a good instructor is the main thing, being in a group you'll tend to push yourself that bit harder to match those arround you... it does give you a reason to be fit, be you notice the progress, most will improve your ballance, stamina, flexability allsorts..

Once i have some money hanging about i'll be joining a gym and also finding a new martial art to go at Thumbs Up

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:21 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately, it's fear of failure which motivates me.

Failing is not good. I've come close too many times to count, but have always managed to pull through as I can see it looming and don't want to face the consequences.

As I get better at what I do, the potential failures become smaller, but are still there, so I tend to stay motivated constantly to get things done - being paid to do them also helps.

As far as gyms and fitness go, it's probably only going to be something like a noticeable deterioration in my condition which is going to scare me back to the gym.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:09 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i've been a member of 3 or 4 gyms but unless im with my mates i haven't got the competetivness and would rather do anything else.
\

Same here hun. I used to love my 'sports' or gym days.
Now, I have to push myself to go.
I dunno what happened but, my gym lessons have droped alot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 07:31 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://uncyclopedia.org/images/d/d9/Mr._motivator.jpg

You know it makes sense.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put weight on whilst travelling and when I got home I couldnt fit into my clothes. I joined the gym and also started exercise classes, I now only do body pump and lots of sit ups/reverse curls at home, and have lost the weight again, and my clothes fit..hurrah!

I couldnt face the idea of going out and getting the next size up in all my clothes, especially as I love what Ive already got!

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoga, i cant be bothered with messing my lungs up with alot of excersion as i have bad astma so i just tone and tighten and clear my head. Works for me.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 15:57 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Exercise wise.

Don't do exercise.

Do an activity that you enjoy that will keep you fit. Not exercise.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:

Do an activity that you enjoy that will keep you fit. Not exercise.

It wont keep your tummy toned though...

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 18:07 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

try horse riding Thumbs Up
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally watch some boxing on TV and then it hypes me up;

"Fuck yes! Tomorrow I am going to go running!"

It works...well for about a week, then it wears off and I go back to sleeping in late again.

Maybe if I watch a boxing match once a week, then I will keep it up! Shocked ...worth a try! Laughing

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 22:16 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxing.

I lost alot of weight over summer whilst in greece (early mornings and less drinking does that to ya) which i had put on whilst with the misses last (Academic) year.

Was down to just over 15 stone and had put on a bit more muscle, was looking and feeling pretty good imho. Then poked my head into the boxing malarkey.

Realised very swiftly how unfit i am, packed up the smoking, cut back on drinking (and i now mainly drink jd and coke rather then snakebites) and i crack out loads of pressups and sit ups asap.

Down to about 14.5 stone now and put on ALOT of muscle.

Boxing for normal fights is pretty useless, they teach fast weak punches and to do that for 3 minutes straight, pause, 3 minutes etc.
Proper fights are about 10 seconds long if that. Anyhew, as a motivator, nothing gets you more then realising in a 3 minute bout you can bang away for one minute, then be dying (and taking hits) the next 2.

I can now do a 3 minute round comfortably. my press up and situp ability has doubled if not tripled. Its fab.

Do it.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 12:03 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You should get on top and do all the work then. Laughing

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 13:15 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good start would be to cut the plugs off the computer or cancel your internet subscription... If you stay off this thing you might have a better chance of getting motivated!

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

See attached; Wink

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go running at least 4 times a week and have been for the last 9 weeks. I'm 11.5stone so not 'overweight' but I was just getting flabby around the back and gut - generally feeling shite.
If I'm honest I would say vanity plays a big part in my motivation but also I get depression throughout winter and nothing can transform my mood like excercise....except beer but that has obvious side effects.
It's not for everyone, but the most direct and convenient excercise for me is running as it doesn't take much time and I dont have to go anywhere to do it, just straight out the front door. you need good shoes but that's about it.

For anyone else here who might find this useful I found this clever google map thing below, click 'start recording' then double click along a route to get a mileage in your area:

https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 15:50 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, don't flame me for sounding harsh as it really is good advice.

Remove the term 'Can't be bothered' from your vocabulary. How you feel about training is irrelevant if you have made your mind up to train. You will do it and if it hurts on the way then tough shit because it will be worth it when its done. It really is that simple.#

I have days when I find myself feeling drained, but I still train and more often than not I find that the training increases my energy levels directly afterwards Thumbs Up

If you can make the exercise part of your routine then you will just get on with it, as you would shower in the morning or brush your teeth.

Basically, saying "Can't be bothered" is a way for you to mentally cop out from the training you want to do.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work as an external network BT engineer, so my normal day at work is fairly active i suppose. However i still need more excercise to get to a point of actually feeling fit, healthy, and happy with my self.

I normally go down the gym for 1hr 2 nights a week, but i don't have a specific set routine i.e. Monday and Thursday etc, so i decide on the night after work if i feel like going, or if i want to leave it until the next day sometimes. I think being motivated to go twice a week is reasonably easy, if you have very few other commitments during weekday nights.

I like to go swimming for 1/2hour after when i get time, but recently i've been going every other week, but ideally i sometimes like to go for an hour early on sunday mornings, when i havent been out on the piss the night before that is.

I agree with what others have said about excercise being good for making you feel good, and stop you from feeling tired, lazy, and even depressed. I have got to the point now where im motivated enough to eat properly (every day) and to go to the gym and do more excercise, and i feel loads better for it too!

It's took a while to get to this level, but my next problem now is getting motivated enough to use my spare time better, and get some projects and work done during the weekends, which is where i still feel lazy, tired and depressed, especially when i think of how many things i want to achieve, and not know where to start?

Id just like some motivation to get my some of my 3 bikes fixed and running again, and to actually start riding again, which is something im really ashamed to say i haven't felt like doing for over a year, despite me always being mad about bikes and cars, so i know there is still something wrong somewhere!

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play bowling.
I have normal my balls(15pound with 3 holes), but I sometimes throw light(9pound) houseball only with two fingers(without thumb) and hook it is really fun. Enjoyable on rainy day too, need only 30 mins to play, good exercize, possible even after work on weekday. To make strike with light ball thumbless throw, I need to give enough rolling in correct rolling direction, and need to adjust the course. This is worth to check the release for ordinary throw with 3 holes ball too.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 14:06 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawashima wrote:
I play bowling.
I have normal my balls(15pound with 3 holes), but I sometimes throw light(9pound) houseball only with two fingers(without thumb) and hook it is really fun. Enjoyable on rainy day too, need only 30 mins to play, good exercize, possible even after work on weekday. To make strike with light ball thumbless throw, I need to give enough rolling in correct rolling direction, and need to adjust the course. This is worth to check the release for ordinary throw with 3 holes ball too.

Jagshemash!
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Jagshemash!

Question

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jagshemash!

you bastard. Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:16 - 30 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the remote control over the other side of the room from the telly.

metallninja
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:05 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever waited until life has pissed you off? Gone to the gym and taken it out on the weights?

Great way to get back into it.

Failing that, do what makes YOU happy.

Get out and ride Wink works for me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1