Farepak debacle

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 13:37 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:

I don't think either of you understand the means or mentality of these kinds of savers.

That they have the means - however petty - is obvious, as they are complaining that Farepack has stolen them.

The mentality is one that I probably share, as I am appalling with money myself, and have never managed to save a reasonable amount.

The simple fact remains that there are wiser ways to squirrel money away, and while those at the lower end of the labour market are not always the smartest tools in the box, it's simple common sense to trust family over a company that specifically targets poor people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farepak is/was the modern equivalent of the 'tally' shop. I worked in the last one that existed in the East End of London in the 70's. Basically the people that came in were the poorest sections of society (in the poorest Borough in the UK). They bought clothes on hock & depending how much they could afford to pay back a week depended on how much the clothes cost. A 'tally' man would go round every week and pick up the money from the person until it was paid off.

Farepak's customers gave the distributor 'x' amount a week who would send the money off to Farepak. A lot of these people are either financially 'illiterate', don't have a bank account or see it as a way to put their money away beyond temptation for Xmas. We contributed £50 to the fund as I can imagine that these people affected by the collapse of Farepak will have a bleak and miserable Xmas. I don't believe that the CEO put a penny into the fund through 'annonymous third parties' and I hope, he will be called to account for his actions that has blighted the lives of the most vulnerable in society.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2