Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

More 'PC' PC madness!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 17:27 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: More 'PC' PC madness! Reply with quote

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/6191832.stm

Quote:
A "racist" e-mail has resulted in 100 Hertfordshire police officers and civilian staff being disciplined.

Quote:
The e-mail, originating from the US, shows a black suspect being decapitated on railings after jumping from a flyover after a pursuit by police.

Quote:
Deputy Chief Constable Simon Ash said: "I am disappointed by the conduct of officers and staff who distributed this inappropriate image that some people may have perceived as being racist.

I could understand them being spoken to about the email being inappropriate, but unless we are not being told that it had "Don't run from the police YOU FUCKING NIGGER" at the bottom, I fail to see how it is racist - or can even be perceived as such.

If anything, anyone referring to it as racist is simply enforcing the negative stereotypes about black males.

If it were a white male lying there, does anyone honestly believe it would have made the news?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen that picture file before (I can't remember where or when for some reason). It shows the mans head impaled on the top, spike bit of the railing with the rest of his body on the ground.

As far as I can remember there was no racist language on the actual image, but as you said the title or body of the email may have contained some racist language added by someone else somewhere along the line.

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair. I was listening to this on the BBC news on Radio 5 earlier, and they don't believe it is racist. One senior person said it could be taken as such, but that's it.

The problem is the nature of the scene. The colour of the person is irrelevant.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 21:33 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
President of the Black Police Association Keith Jarrett said disciplinary action should have gone further.

"I don't think a robust enough sanction has been taken against the officers concerned, especially the supervisory ones," he said.

"It is, at best, disrespectful to the black people that live in Hertfordshire."

It looks like some people are keen to bang out the same old tunes....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's being silly. Apparently the mail was passed on many times, each time with comments added, none of which could be construed of as racist.

That's from an official spokesman. Neither the original material, nor any subsequent comments were deemed racist. So it's non-news really

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I heard on the news that some of the officers involved in passing the email on were themselves black.

So I guess calling it racist is a bit too far, but at least it shows that racism will not be tolerated by the police force.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:40 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokarev wrote:

So I guess calling it racist is a bit too far, but at least it shows that racism will not be tolerated by the police force.

Sadly it's not targeting some of the much 'realer' racist aspects.

Though, I suspect in some cases some attitudes may have come from experience.

clu55ter
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:44 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Re: More 'PC' PC madness! Reply with quote

[/quote]I could understand them being spoken to about the email being inappropriate, but unless we are not being told that it had "Don't run from the police YOU FUCKING NIGGER" at the bottom, I fail to see how it is racist - or can even be perceived as such.

If anything, anyone referring to it as racist is simply enforcing the negative stereotypes about black males.

If it were a white male lying there, does anyone honestly believe it would have made the news?[/quote]

This is just the reaction that the editors are wanting from the viewers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 19:54 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explain.

clu55ter
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:40 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: comes back to money. Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
Explain.

news like this gets peoples emotions worked up thus sells. its bollocks I know but it gets people intrest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 09 Dec 2006    Post subject: Re: comes back to money. Reply with quote

clu55ter wrote:
news like this gets peoples emotions worked up thus sells. its bollocks I know but it gets people intrest.

It's free though Eh?

GodzGift
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

who gives a monkeys about this? Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 143 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1