BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Time ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 27 Dec 2006    Post subject: Time ? Reply with quote

How much time will it take to get from Manchester to the South of Italy say April/May 07? , and back with 2 days sight seeing somewhere in between

my absolute max riding time is 14 hours a day , but on tour I think I'd limit this to 7 hours max with an hour for lunch starting at 8AM leaving 4pm-12pm for activities wherever I end up
and the rest for sleeping.

two possible tank ranges 220miles
125 miles

depending on if I can rig up an endurance tank to the bike again.

riding style fast just above limits going for twisty mountain routes rather than motorways.

Weapons of choice

'97 ZX6R
89 NC30 (unlikely to get one)
RF900

absolute last resort NTV650

any thoughts?

Ta
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 27 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 weeks to cover around 3000 miles is enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 27 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't head down to the south of Italy for a 'shorter distance' tour. You need a circular route, because heading down south just to come straight back up north will irritate you. Plus there isn't as much in the south of Italy as you might think. There is Naples (Napoli), and that's about it. I bet that sicily is nice, but I couldn't stomach riding all the extra distance south.

You've also got to bare in mind that riding times and distances are neither constant nor predictable. What looks like a short distance on the map can take absolutely ages if you're riding on the more minor mountain roads. One problem particularly evident in Italy is roads going through the center of towns, which even on a motorcycle can set you back half an hour per moderate sized town. My point is that setting stringent timeplans won't work, 8am-4pm days will quickly turn into 10am-10pm gruelers.

https://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.coy/images/europe_2006/italy-2.jpg
Napoli, a real behemoth of a city. You wouldn't want to take an nc30 there, it'd last about 5minutes before someone either knocked you off or pinched it.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 27 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I know , I once did Mancs to Cornwall once took me 6 hours , another time took me 4 and another (crazier time took me 3.5 hours).

Just after a ballpark figure to see how much holiday to book off to go for a jaunt the circular Germany , Austria , Northern Italy , France spain portugal looks good.

Ta
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 27 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much time as you can afford. Of course the longer you spend touring the more money you will spend as well, though.

Two weeks is enough for a proper tour, three weeks will take the pressure off allowing more scope for detours and days spent off the bike. When I did my three week tour of Spain, I think I spent in total 4days not riding, plus a 5th day when I did a circular ride without all my gear on the back.

That route sounds too long, unless you are milemunching through all of Germany, France and some of Spain. You will want to spend at least 4 days riding in the alps, 4 days in the Spanish mountains, plus at least 5 days of mile munching. That's nearly two weeks already, and you haven't accounted for days off, the long ferry from Spain back home, plus you said Portugal as well.

bin
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:26 - 27 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why put yourself on a tight schedule over a long distance......you should enjoy the ride there and back....any part of France or Germany (the black forest).....

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 27 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
. Plus there isn't as much in the south of Italy as you might think. There is Naples (Napoli), and that's about it. I bet that sicily is nice, but I couldn't stomach riding all the extra distance south.

The south of Italy is probably the best part, the north does have better cities and the alps, but Riding wise I much prefer the south,the coastal towns and villages,the beaches, hacking round the mountain passes.
Napoli is a dump of a city really and not even that far south, The best bits are further down south along the coast

My family live in the south (Painuro just below Salerno)
Ok its a bit differant as I'm already over there when I travel round so won't of already riden across europe but the south is worth a visit. It might not have the big name tourist attractions of the north but it makes up for it in natural beauty Thumbs Up .
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 126 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1