Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:20 - 01 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick wrote:
who'sthedaddy....

I have to ask how long ago the procedure you describe took place? It's very off putting and not at all what I experienced?!

I must admit its been a while since I've seen and assisted with one, but practices dont change, maybe in different NHS trusts polices are different?

Quote:
Had mine few years ago and was sedated, was not awake to swallow tube (having ripped camera out and punched doctor whilst they tried to do it awake, against my wishes.......just a reaction and the guy who did it was a tosser and very nasty).

You were awake, you would have been given midazolam or diazepam to sedate you enough to allow for the procedure to be carried out.

Being awake, its hard to suppress the gag reflex (eh ladies Wink ) so the use of lidocaine spray and sedative akes you more amenable to swallow the scope. On the converse to this, its even harder to shove a scope down someones throat correctly if they are fully anaethesatised. You cannot have a full GA as you have an unsecure airway and with the scope in the stomach, the risk of aspiration is huge so a LA is given.

Believe me, assertiveness is needed in most things that involve doing something to them that someone finds displeasing.

Quote:
I dont remember a thing about it and didnt feel dozy at all afterwards? I have few vague memories about the procedure but nothing really concrete that I remember about it?

This makes me sure that you were given midazolam as its side effects include amnesia, hence has been used as a date rape drug.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:03 - 01 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Being awake, its hard to suppress the gag reflex (eh ladies Wink ) so the use of lidocaine spray and sedative akes you more amenable to swallow the scope.

When I had one they didn't give me a sedative (think it was optional, I wanted to get it out of the way quickly). The spray was meant to taste of bananas, but I think that is stretching the point a bit.

All the best

Keith

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 01 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
When I had one they didn't give me a sedative (think it was optional, I wanted to get it out of the way quickly).

Any endoscopy, thats top end or bottom end Wink you have the option to be awake or not.

Unsedated means that you can make a quick exit and drive home, but you will be aware of all the pushing and shoving that may go on. Not sure what I'd rather have?

I takes a certain kind of someone to go 'au natural'

Kudos to you Keith Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:11 - 01 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It was top end. To be honest it was not painful at all. Nowhere near as bad as the reputation would lead you to believe. It was just unpleasant. Not really any pushing and shoving required, went down fairly gently.

All the best

Keith

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 01 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gag just by sticking my tongue out too far, I dont think I'd manage too well Laughing

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 01 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an upper-GI endoscopy (may also be called an OGD, oesophago-gastro-duodenoscopy or simply a gastroscopy) it can be done wide awake, with a topical anaesthetic to numb the throat, or under a sedative. In my experience about 80% of patients have their throat sprayed and 20% have sedation. Patients that are sedated occasionally struggle a bit more but don't remember it afterwards (it's a bit like being drunk). On average the whole process of coming into the room, hearing about the procedure, signing the consent form, having your throat sprayed (or a cannula in your arm for the sedative), having the test, being told about what was found (if you're not sedated) and going out again takes less than 15 minutes. I've got 3 hours to do 12 and that includes writing the reports, teaching the medical students (explaining what's going on and quizzing them, not letting them have a go Laughing ) and having the odd mug of coffee. You will probably have the camera down your throat for less than 5 minutes even if any biopsies (completely painless) are taken.

In extreme circumstances it can be done under general anaesthetic however this involves the whole anaesthetic pre-assessment, possibly blood tests and X-rays, a trip to an operating theatre, intubation and ventilation and potentially an overnight stay. This is obviously much more expensive and also more risky. It's done this way in less than 1% of cases and usually only if an additional procedure is going to be carried out. For a routine OGD it would only be done under GA if it had failed under sedation.

If I were having it done, I would just have my throat sprayed. Endoscopies at the other end are a bit different. For a flexible sigmoidoscopy (half-way round) no sedation is given but for a colonoscopy (all the way round) sedation +/- analgesia is routine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 120 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2