Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any Vets on here?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Any Vets on here? Reply with quote

I know this is a bike forum - have already posted on my cat forum but most of them are American and will be asleep!

Our 6 month old kitten was spayed 10 days ago. Everything has been fine until yesterday when we noticed that she squealed when picked up (not normal behaviour for her).

It was only last night when I noticed that her wound where her stitches are is swollen and very tender. She is sitting funny, as if the area hurts when she's sat a certain way.

She is still eating normally, but is calmer and looks unhappy, and sqeals when picked up (so we are avoiding doing this).

I will call the vet first at 9am but I just wondered if anyone can help as I'm getting very anxious and worried about her.

I'm guessing it's some sort of infection but my mind is getting carried away with all sorts...

I've attached pictures I've just taken (x 2) - not sure if you can see the swelling but there is a definate lump. The pic where it is red is a couple of days after the op and she seemed fine.

BanditBitch
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing at an infection too.....little abcess maybe?

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Stinky a pm incase he doesn't see this. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:38 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, look like it is either a wee bit infected or there is a reaction to the stitching material under the skin.

I'm sure you've seen your vet by now. If not, give them a call.

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies - as you can tell I was in a mad panic until the vets opened at 9am!

They told us to bring her in straight away so off we went (she is usually very noisy but this time she was very quiet). The vet checked her temperature and it was fine, ruling out an infection. For a moment I was surprised that this is done via her arsehole, then I realised it's normal (been a while since I've had a sick pet!)

He then drained the area with a syringe which was full of a red/clear tissue like what you sometimes get in zits. There was quite a few syringe fulls - it must have been really hurting her innards!!

Then he gave her pain killers and antibiotics. I have never heard such painful cries from her when he was lancing her - but he said she was being more obstructive than in actual pain.

Anyway, the panic is over for now. I have to take her in on Tuesday for a check and we have to hope it doesn't come back, which he said it might.

She's feeling a lot better Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:27 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, a seroma. Not the end of the world then, you do get them sometimes following surgery. They probably already explained but this happens where there is a 'potential' space left where you've been doing surgery (known as 'dead space', think like the inside of a deflated baloon, there is nothing there to see but if you were to blow in the end, the space would become apparent). The body has a tendancy to fill this space with fluid.

Doesn't usually happen following a cat spey, but it can, especially on a slightly older or larger cat where you need to remove a wedge of fatty tissue to gain access to the muscle layers below. There is an area of dead space left where the fatty tissue was removed.

I would expect draining the fluid off with a syringe to do the trick. Worst case, if it keeps recurring they'd need to put a wee drain in there for a couple of days to allow the fluid to run out and the skin to heal back down. I've never seen this having to be done for a spey though, small amounts of fluid will eventually be reabsorbed by the body.

BanditBitch
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad she's feeling better, you can relax now Thumbs Up

yzf750r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 31 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also glad your cats better..... some bastard ran over my cat yesterday, leaving me with a huge fucking bill just after Xmas - as well as my GF due to go into hospital on Tuesday to have our baby.

Evil or Very Mad

befdelta7
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:57 - 02 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here, on the 9th december some twat ran my cat over -- poor boy had to be put to sleep, tis the hardest thing iv had to do is hold me cat when he got put to sleep! burried him in the back garden...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1