Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Its starts, TZR250 Race bike Project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 00:26 - 10 Oct 2006    Post subject: Its starts, TZR250 Race bike Project Reply with quote

Hi
Well I guess it starts now, 5 months until I need a fully fledged race bike before I (hopefully) start next season racing in YPM's.

Yes Im jumping on the "racing" bandwagon, but hey, it looks damn fun and thought I'd try it before I was old had kids and a mortages n stuff Razz.

Anyway this is what Ive got to get sorted in the next 5 months Confused

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/tzr2sm.jpg

Ok it dosnt look like alot, infact its a complete shed, theres no front wheel, cause the bloke nicked the spindel of it for his other bike, and apart from a few odds and ends its pretty much a whole bike minus the plastics. Not bad for just £300

What I want to do is get in a few trackdays before christmas, then send it off to be stripped and rebuilt ready for the ACU licence day in Febuary.

Ive ordered an exstensive list of parts from a guy breaking his TZR on ebay so should hopefully be able to accumlate a good set of spares over winter.

Anyway onto the project. 1st thing, easy thing I guess, clean the carbs woo \o/. Nothing special Im sure you've all seen it all before but heres some pics of current work.

Someone nicked me carbs!!!

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/tzr3sm.jpg

Carbs and airbox nicely filling the house with petrol fumes

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/tzr1sm.jpg

Split carbs showing jets (i think) and floats

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/tzr4sm.jpg

Was all quite clean so im begging to think that even though the outside looks like a horses arse, the engine has been quite well looked after.

Just to note I have no idea what I'm doing technically Im just winigng it Very Happy

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:11 - 10 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of buying odds and sods, why not just buy a 2nd shed and interchange the parts that are needed, especially if any thing goes wrong in a race, the spare maybe in the garage at home Thumbs Up .

A race bike does sound like fun especially if you have the time to make the most of it Wink Crying or Very sad Damn having a morgagae, kids and working stupid shifts Laughing

How much for the ACU license?

Bike mechanics aint rocket science the basic and fundementals are relatively straight forward if you have a manual and think about things logically you be just fine.

Good luck fella Thumbs Up

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:53 - 10 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, if i can offer a little advice..

Do to the bike:

Completely strip and rebuild it, preventative maintenance is the key to finishing every race (bar falling off) so replace all seals, bearings on the chassis.

Buy a new chain (non O-ring) and a selection of sprockets, ask some guys to see what they carry in their tool box.

Remove any dead weight, unused bracketry etc.

make it nice and clean, the scrutineers are less likely to pull it to pieces an hour before the first race if they are loooking at a well looked after bike.

Strip and rebuild the engine, costs a bit but go for it. PJ engineering will do you a good deal if you speak to Paul.

Replace throttle cables, clutch cable, clean and strip calipers and fit braided lines if it hasnt already been done.

Grease the suspension linkages unless they are shot, in which case, replace them.

Drill and lockwire the sump plug and oil filler cap. Its worth lockwiring things like caliper bolts, footrest bolts ie anything to do with safety.

Change the fork oil, may be worth experementing with different weight/level of oil to get it spot on.

Basically give the bike a bloody good service, it'll pay to do it. Nothing worse than spending £120 on an entry fee and having a dead bike halfway through practise. Waste of money and time!

If you are buying spares, the following are ideal:

Wheels, so you can run wets.

Bars and Levers

Cables

Footrest hangers ie anything that will be damaged in a spill.

Ignition bits (cdi, ypvs controller etc)

Run premix, ditch the autolube system. 30:1 (150ml oil to 5 litres petrol)

Good luck, if you need any help let me know Thumbs Up

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 13:29 - 10 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke if you need any help, I've had my TZR into about a squillion bits before I sold it.

https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/media/TZR%20250%20manual.rar - Yamaha workshop manual

https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/media/tzr250%20Parts%20book%20at%20200.rar - Parts fiche

Looks a bargain for £300 tbh. ( I paid £300 for mine, all plastics but a dud engine. This seems much better since you'll want race plastics anyway. )

I may have a TZ250 seat unit you can use if you want. It's the one on the MZ in my avatar, but I've got an R1 seat unit aswell that I may use instead.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 16:52 - 10 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, will write a longer reply when not at work,

and Thumbs Up for seat unit, even if its just spares or just a set to use for practaise and trackdays, it will come in handy. Thumbs Up

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mrtEE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many trackdays have you done Luke?

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 11:17 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
5 I think, im not to shabby, top end of inters on an NC30 Thumbs Up

Though I know I need to get alot quicker, and pretty sharpish too Confused

Luke

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the project. I'd deffo harden the forks and shock up....cos std TZR's are as bouncy as a pogo stick. there is a TZR who races in the same group i do FE>250cc it's not as fast as the rgv but a lot cheaper to run and he can hold his own on the bends!! He always has a big smile on his face after each race as well Very Happy Shocked

mrtEE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you've done 5 trackdays, your bike is an absolute shed and you've limited mechanical skills.

Do you have a seperate phone line to deal with prospective sponsors?

Mr. Green

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 12:53 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

we shall see Smile

I dont know what will happen, who knows.

Luke

mrtEE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be better to spend a year doing trackdays progressing into the fast group, and actually riding on the tracks that you will later race on to learn them.

Plus more time to fix the bike up and learn about mechanics.

That way when you do enter the races you will stand a chance of not getting lapped Embarassed

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 14:53 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Luke'll do ok, I've seen him ride on track, and once thrown in the deep end I rekon his skills will sharpen up very quickly.

Ok he's not gonna win any races just yet, but I rekon he'll be holding his own very quickly.

Fast group isn't just skill, it's also choice of bike and arrogance.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 15:19 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
IM sure I'll be alright, ive checked lap times etc and it wouldnt put me at the back, 1:40 at snetterton for the slowest lap this year, ive done about 1:23 on an NC30, I wouldnt do it if i thought I would be last, I'll be shit yes, but hopefully not last, though if I came last after battleing the whole race wih someone I wont mind.

Luke

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:54 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Hi
IM sure I'll be alright, ive checked lap times etc and it wouldnt put me at the back, 1:40 at snetterton for the slowest lap this year, ive done about 1:23 on an NC30, I wouldnt do it if i thought I would be last, I'll be shit yes, but hopefully not last, though if I came last after battleing the whole race wih someone I wont mind.

Luke

Thats the spirit, nice steep learning curve. before you know it you'll be rebuilding top ends in lunch break at meetings! Very Happy

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 02:23 - 13 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah something like that Very Happy
mrtEE This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:07 - 14 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrtEE wrote:
ur gonan get PwN3d Laughing

and I guess you are speaking from years of experience Rolling Eyes

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 01:13 - 14 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got any race scrubs off that RGV yet?

Gaz

greenmeanie
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:14 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with it all mate! i would absolutley love to do what you are doing, and hopefully i will before a mortage n kids come along. how much would you estimate it will cost you for the year? who gives a shit if you come last, as long as you do it with a massive smile on your face and knowing that the only thing you can do is get better! which tracks will you be doing this year, if all goes well? its my dream to do cadwell.

all the best Thumbs Up

mrtEE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

he isnt doing it anymore.

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 21:15 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah kinda traded it in for a bigger model.

The TZR pretty much died, oil pissing out, clutch knackered, and brakes shot.

So racing something else next year Razz

Luke

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kind of sucks, but be interested in the next bike Thumbs Up

Making and tuning a bike for the track is a very intetsting project in my eyes and one that I would certainly like to do in the not too distant future.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1