Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Employment law being sick

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 12 Jan 2007    Post subject: Employment law being sick Reply with quote

What is the UK employment law on being sick ? , I've felt kind of sick all week shivering
sweating , feeling cold horrible cough etc.

But came in anyway as I felt heavily pressured to do so , with instructions/orders which
could have been interpreted as don't come in = sack

and my co-worker is on maternity leaving me the only one who could do the work.

Though a small irony is that all the bosses have caught what I had , as they did some reviews
with me and were oblivious to my sweating cobs and shivering.

Today I feel much better, and even went out at lunch to look at some other jobs.

Any thoughts?

Ta
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 12 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only had a quick look at this site as I'm going out in a moment but it might be of some use.

Edit: The URL I posted was not related, oops!

mr_pete
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:41 - 12 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can self certify yourself for up to seven days - after that you need a doctors note.....

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 12 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've covered this one before but here goes:

Every employee is entitled to SSP as a minimum pay (it's £70/week at the moment) for up to 26 weeks. For the first week you can self-certify, after that you need a doctors note or they don't have to pay you, you also don't get paid for the first 3 days they are known as "waiting days" - not sure why.

Anybody finishing somebody while they are off sick is on very dodgy ground as it is a violation of the Disability Rights Act believe it or not and the normal time limits for bringing a tribunal don't apply. There are circumstances they can finish you, being if you are on a fixed-term contract which is due to end while you are off sick or if they make you redundant and can show legitimate cause. In either case you would be entitled to the usual notice, unpaid holiday pay, redundancy if applicable.

They also have to give you a form SSP1 telling you why they are unable to continue paying your SSP. This is your trump card cos you have to produce it at the Jobcentre to be able to claim any benefits, and they will automatically check the reason and if it looks in the least bit dodgy start an investigation.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 12:07 - 13 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my short experience of civilian working in the UK, it seems a large majority of bosses will assume you are faking it/taking the piss when you ring in sick, because so many people do just that... take the piss

i've made the effort to come in to work when feeling like death (recent stomach ulcercy type thing) because of being made to feel guilty about having a company van at home, no one gave a toss despite me being in a bad way, and probly unfit to drive, so i tossed the keys and got the train back home

my conclusion, no one will thank you it just makes their life easier to try and guilt you into coming in, rather than arrange for a cover...
so bollocks to them, its just a job no one is that vitally required (and if they are, as you are made to feel at my work, then the company needs to give its own head a shake and sort it out) so if you are ill, then damn well be ill and take the time off you are entitled to. Having felt really shite the past few weeks and gone into work for a lot of it, i've thought about this a lot. I'm not one for skiving off work or ringing in sick with a hangover or a late night, so think I will be more confident in the future to take less shite from work.

dont think you can be sacked for a couple of days off, they could try, but i think they would be in the wrong, can clarify this for you once i find out
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 108 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1