Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

It hurts each time I use the clutch, what can I do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: It hurts each time I use the clutch, what can I do? Reply with quote

After 5 or so minutes of riding the tendons in my left wrist start aching, so much so that I can't wait to get off the bike, sometimes even having to stop.

I developed this problem last November, around the same time as I picked up my ZX6R (my 7th bike, 3rd Ninja), and deliberately didn't ride much at all over November and December to let is rest up. However, now I'm on the bike more it's still hurting. It's not due to my riding position or bike i.e. not the pressure on the wrists, they're fine, it's the action of reaching forward, grabbing the clutch lever and bringing it in. As this action is fairly specific it doesn't impact on my daily life (I'm fine at the gym), just the bike.

Has anyone had this problem before, can suggest why it is happening or maybe even a solution? The thought of having to give up biking (it really does make any journey difficult) is making me worried... Crying or Very sad

Any help is much appreciated
Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:48 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpel tunnel maybe?

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 19:06 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suffered from the same thing for a while. I went to the Docs and he told me it was CTS (Carpel Tunnel Syndrome), he tried to clear it with anti inflamitaries which worked to a point. Ended up haveing a steroid injection in the wrist and total rest for it for a week - now it's all gone and riding is fun again (or would be if I didn't have a broken ankle).

Do go to the Docs sooner rather than later though Thumbs Up

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, a trip to the docs seems in order!

Thanks for the CTS insight...had a quick look ar Wikipedia and it seems to make sense, but I don't get the tingling or numbness so maybe not...a good start though.

Cheers! Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

change to a foot clutch? , clutches are all still cable pull , you should be able to bodge a few pieces of steel together and put a push down mech = clutch in for your right foot.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

TomR6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerballs are recommended pretty highly for recovery. I dont have CTS, but it strengthens the arms really well, and is very addictive

https://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/143797/Powerball_Original_250Hz_Pro/Product.html

I've got a neon blue one, quite cool, lights up when you get about 5k RPM

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjust clutch lever height so it doesn't hurt?

VTR SP1
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:12 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try dropping your arm so when you open your hand and stretch your fingers for the clutch they are in line with your forearm.

If you open and close your hand now it should not hurt but if you pull your hand back so it's 90 degrees to your forearm and open and close your hand you will feel the difference.

I had the same trouble as you when I got the SP1 and a change of position helped a lot.

SP1

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 15 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Adjust clutch lever height so it doesn't hurt?

I'd considered this, but looking at the alinement of my wrist it looked pretty in-line. But...

VTR SP1 wrote:
If you open and close your hand now it should not hurt but if you pull your hand back so it's 90 degrees to your forearm and open and close your hand you will feel the difference.

doing this did hurt, which means my looking is rubbish and changing position probably will help.

Great stuff, thanks guys!

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 15 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worry most people have their levers in the wrong position.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 15:18 - 15 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
...clutches are all still cable pull....

No they're not. The majority maybe, but not all (and most importantly, not mine Very Happy)

You don't say if the bike is new to you or if this condition just appeared. If just appeared when using a bike already owned and ridden then, as said, trip to the doctor.

If on a new bike then several options.
Arrow Lube cable or change fluid (like changing brake fluid) as appropriate.
Arrow Fit adjustable lever if not already fitted. Owners club(s) can be good source for ideas. I had this problem and my replacement lever came off a VFR.
Arrow As said, adjust levers. Best with 2 people, you sit on the bike and the other helps - positions, tightens, etc.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 15 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
You don't say if the bike is new to you or if this condition just appeared. If just appeared when using a bike already owned and ridden then, as said, trip to the doctor.
HTH Thumbs Up

I've owned my present bike (J1 ZX6R) since last November, this problem did start at around the same time. It's my thrid sprorts bike so I'm fairly used to the riding position...

map wrote:
Arrow As said, adjust levers. Best with 2 people, you sit on the bike and the other helps - positions, tightens, etc.

Top tip, thanks Thumbs Up

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 15 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If on a new bike then several options.
Lube cable .

I dont know about your exact bike but some bike cables are not to be lubed these days, they have some special coating on them.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:22 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like you had the same pains, mine reduced me to tears after 150 miles, making the return journey unbearable.

I got a powerball as above off play.com (cheapest) used it a few times a day. voila problem solved.

I adjusted clutch lever and tiffled a bit, got a new clutch cable, helped a little. The powerball is the shizzle though,

get one with a screen on it and try and beat your score, my personal best is 8655, Pho got nearly 11000...

I only get the pain back if I'm off the bike for a week or so and havnt played with my ball...

*tootles off to play with powerball*

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried lubing your clutch cable? That should help a bit.

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:02 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:

Cheers
John

And if its a hydraulic clutch Laughing

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 12:33 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:

might not.. could make it worse..

some use non-stick, slippery liners that can actually swell and expand with lubricant, making the cable even stickier.

a

TomR6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple wrote:
I like you had the same pains, mine reduced me to tears after 150 miles, making the return journey unbearable.

I got a powerball as above off play.com (cheapest) used it a few times a day. voila problem solved.

I adjusted clutch lever and tiffled a bit, got a new clutch cable, helped a little. The powerball is the shizzle though,

get one with a screen on it and try and beat your score, my personal best is 8655, Pho got nearly 11000...

I only get the pain back if I'm off the bike for a week or so and havnt played with my ball...

*tootles off to play with powerball*

Yeah my powerball top score is 113xx. The world records are like 18000 Shocked

It came to a point were I couldn't control it, thought I was gonna drop it

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

T0M wrote:

Yeah my powerball top score is 113xx. The world records are like 18000 Shocked

It came to a point were I couldn't control it, thought I was gonna drop it[/quote]

Yep, I now stand over the bed and do it so if my arm does ...well die or feel like it's dropping off I can let go of it.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 21:27 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try wanking for a week usingly only your left hand, sorted. Thumbs Up

nc30 chick
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:49 - 17 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was carpel tunnel then you would most likely be in pain all the time. The pain I had was 24/7 and agonising, then I had them released and had no pain since.

romperstomper...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:07 - 17 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also get an auto clutch fitted for about £650 !
Sounds like RSI !

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:19 - 17 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
Try wanking for a week usingly only your left hand, sorted. Thumbs Up

There speaks the voice of experience Wink Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 17 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

romperstomper1 wrote:
you can also get an auto clutch fitted for about £650 !
Sounds like RSI !

650 my arse! , a few locking solenoids will do nicely
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 17 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

nc30 chick wrote:
If it was carpel tunnel then you would most likely be in pain all the time. The pain I had was 24/7 and agonising, then I had them released and had no pain since.

My pain would linger for a week, before fading away, was enough to make me cry Embarassed lucky had my dark visor to save face Cool

Occaisonally now my wrists crack/crunch, if they need to crunch pulling the brake of clutch is impossible, hand just doesnt function, have to remove hand from barmuffs, move it around till it crunches then replace and brake.change gear... not ideal if I need to slam my brakes on Confused
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1