Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Windy winter mini rally

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Windy winter mini rally Reply with quote

https://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/365333518_13744c0e86_o.jpg
Loaded up ready to go.. I've never before had so much stuff on the bike, I've carried some bloody stupid things before (not just friends either) but it was interesting to have it at the luggage limit (and i still had places for more)
I arranged for a jenks and chapers to meet at mine, they arrived, tryed to start the bike and no go.. so i said they should go on and I'll catch up...eventualy managed to get it going, cx's don't like being stood unused for even a few days.. halfway there the alarm decided it would go off on its own, I'm glad i didn't link the air horns now..
https://farm1.static.flickr.com/178/365193323_2acccf9d33.jpg
I left about an hour later and arrived 5minutes before, 4stroke 125's and peak district hills are not a good combination.. from previous experience i can tell you its quite hard work..
https://farm1.static.flickr.com/151/365247329_9382477042_o.jpg
The locals seemed friendly enough but made me nervous (there was a stone wall between us and them that wouldn't have caused any bother to them getting over)
https://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/365193329_996027da36_o.jpg
Next to arrive only a bit after was mouse, this is a dnepr outfit with a retrofitted bmw engine and lpg conversion! (its going to be sold at some point in the future and I'll be very seriously considering taking it off his hands)
https://farm1.static.flickr.com/173/365193330_7fddfbd8d6_o.jpg
This is naths cb550, last summer he completed a tour of Europe, 40,000 km, solo, with a £15 tent... the outfit ran out of lpg and the petrol running bit wasn't working right, so ended up being towed by nath.. they got some funny looks, not much exhaust and not much noise usually does it, but when your pulling a combo behind yeh that raises eyebrows..
https://farm1.static.flickr.com/135/365193326_e95cbe3146_o.jpg
Its getting cold now! The next day baron and his lady friend arrived, baron recently shattered his shoulder when some f*ckwit pulled out on his z1100, in 5 years there will be enough bone to maybe have limited use of the joint.. also came along was camel in his wheel chair, he didn't actually bring a tent, eventually convinced him that a night in my tents porch might be sensible if he didn't want to die, i think hes glad he did.. the temps got down to around freezing, add 40mph winds and rain/hail i can tell you now its bloody cold..

https://farm1.static.flickr.com/156/365193325_c5d6089829_o.jpg
The fire consists of an old lpg canister with some well placed holes, first add wood and a couple of fire lighters in the bottom, fill to the brim with coal (smokeless would have been better :/ ) now add petrol (100ml or so) light, run away, give it a minute and it'll be safe to get near it again, worked terrific!

Some good ideas for next year, the rain was a pain in the ass really, next year I'm thinking of taking a big army tent for everyone to huddle in and still be able to have a conversation into the wee hours (its hard to concentrate with gale force winds blowing past your ears)

All in all good fun!

Last edited by mr.z on 01:15 - 23 Jan 2007; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent write up, but pure madness camping in this weather Shocked

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like fun!

i used to have a Gz marauder, it was a REAL struggle long distance, often found my self tucked down with my head on the tank, with my left hand on the engine casing wishing id stayed at home!

id do it all again tho Very Happy

Steve.

Jenks
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a fantastic weekend! apart from getting frost bite on 4 toes!!! Oh god im loving being home!!!

i will upload some pics when i get the cable sorted!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:34 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said really. Got quite cold and a little bit wet, but was good fun and the only real way to totally escape "life" for a couple of days.

Towing mouse's sidecar outfit was quite bizzarre really. Didn't have any problems in a straight line, the 550 has more low down grunt than you'd expect so 2nd gear at 2k rpm was no problem. But going round sharp corners the towrope kept snagging trying to pull the bike over. When we reached the town/village with the LPG station we found we had to negotiate a one way system round the center, complete with lots of dodgy 90degree turns, and lots of people attending the market staring at us.

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:05 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My photos. Found the battery on my camera was about dead, then put it in a jacket pocket which was way too small and couldn't get it out again due to cold and numb fingers.

Really loved Mouse's outfit. The weekend was a bit of an inspiration for me to try and push on and get my own sidecar project on the road. (watch this space!)

Jenks
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha!

Yea, the towing was awesome!
You did a fantastic job! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up For you!

Ive got pics, and i will get them here ASAP!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1