Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Pub etiquette

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Dave McCool
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:26 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Pub etiquette Reply with quote

Right, so I'm at the pub with my mates watching the Arsenal Spurs match earlier.

It's a fairly relaxed pub, and there's a superb atmosphere, some friendly banter between opposing fans, and everyone is having a laugh.

Then 3 guys and 3 girls turn up, and plonk themselves down on the floor next to my table, and in doing so took up pretty much the entire walkway through the pub to get a good view, but nobody batted an eyelid, because the pub was packed.

However, 5 minutes after their arrival, I wanted to kick every single one of them in the face. One of the guys was clearly gay; not something I have a problem with in particular, but it lead to him having a very very annoying voice, which he proceeded to use, very loudly, for no very good reason, chanting songs which had fuck all to do with football and generally being a twat.

The girls, too, were annoying, moving around so much that our table was constantly being knocked, finding it funny to shout rude words ('penis' was their favourite of the night) and in one case, spilling some other guy's drink as they shifted about, and just saying sorry, then running and hiding behind the boys.

They also spilled one of their own drinks, and all of them, at once, stood up and spent 5 minutes clearing it up (well, one of them, while the other 5 stood watching). Because they were so close to the screen, they blocked about 30 people's views, and despite those people making it clear that this wasn't on, they carried on regardless.

Basically, they had no real interest in the football, and despite being told to "pipe the fuck down" several times, they didn't get the hint that everyone would be happier with them in a non-football showing pub.

Sorry for the rant, but it really does annoy me...
____________________
McGee - "When I go to the mall and see all the high school girls, I have to have DO NOT TOUCH THE GIRLS written on my hand. Every time I go to grope I see it and stop."
K7 GSXR750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

techierob
Traffic Copper



Joined: 05 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:04 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually get a bunch of pasty teens clad in faux-burberry or gooner away-shirts pointing at my table chanting "YIIII-DOOOOOOO" once they've worked out which team I'm backing. It seems to amuse them, so I try and put up with it.

However, what you've described is a very serious breach of etiquette. That sort of behaviour would be intolerable at the best of times, and grounds for a serious kicking if it disrupted a cup game. Interrupting a london derby in that manner is thoroughly inexcusable and can only be resolved by immediately and brutally executing those responsible and decorating the pub with their corpses along with a big sign saying "The Fuckers Had It Coming" as a warning to others.

Sorry to hear your evening got disrupted. I hope you have better luck watching the second leg.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:08 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you know what it feels like for us in traditionally 'non-football' (or other sporgts) pubs after a football game when people spread out to other establishments Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:28 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twas a sad day when TVs started appearing in pubs.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave McCool
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShaggyDA wrote:
Twas a sad day when TVs started appearing in pubs.


'Tis the best way to enjoy the football when you're 100 miles or so from the Emirates (and bloody poor to boot...)
____________________
McGee - "When I go to the mall and see all the high school girls, I have to have DO NOT TOUCH THE GIRLS written on my hand. Every time I go to grope I see it and stop."
K7 GSXR750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

froggeh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:35 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love watching the football in the pub.
I guess I'm not a 'proper' fan, because I rarely go to the game.
For the £30 it costs to get in I can be in the pub, have 6 pints with mates who support different teams (Half of us are Liverpool, half ManU), and get a takeaway on the way home...and have change.

The situation you describe is unfortunate. But if it was pissing me off I would probably say something.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave McCool
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
I love watching the football in the pub.
I guess I'm not a 'proper' fan, because I rarely go to the game.
For the £30 it costs to get in I can be in the pub, have 6 pints with mates who support different teams (Half of us are Liverpool, half ManU), and get a takeaway on the way home...and have change.

The situation you describe is unfortunate. But if it was pissing me off I would probably say something.


Dave McCool wrote:
"Pipe the fuck down"


Bar Staff and everyone in the sphere of annoyance wrote:
"Pipe the fuck down"


There's just no getting through to some people, and the bar staff didn't seem willing to actually do anything about it.

So long as they're not there for the next leg, I'm happy....
____________________
McGee - "When I go to the mall and see all the high school girls, I have to have DO NOT TOUCH THE GIRLS written on my hand. Every time I go to grope I see it and stop."
K7 GSXR750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:40 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShaggyDA wrote:
Twas a sad day when TVs started appearing in pubs.

Very Happy Bet you remember them without the slot machines and those new fangled juke box thingies too.

...and as for serving food in pubs, well that's what those posh restaurant places are for. Proper pub food equals packed of crisps, salted peanuts and a bag of pork scratchings Wink Very Happy

On topic - bad etiquette. Should have been asked to sit down and shut up or leave by the barstaff, and then marched outside if didn't comply.

Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:45 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they'd have been told to shut up or fuck off by me or the other bar staff in the Pub i work. Even more so if its a Manchester UTD game.

Nobody disturbs the football, if you want to go shout and scream, then sod off to a pub/bar that isnt showing the football. plenty of them about Thumbs Up
____________________
JACK, MISS YOU LOADS YOU LEGEND.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

froggeh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:45 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:

...and as for serving food in pubs, well that's what those posh restaurant places are for. Proper pub food equals packed of crisps, salted peanuts and a bag of pork scratchings Wink Very Happy


You're forgetting a selection of dodgy looking pies under a glass cover.

I wish these would come back Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave McCool
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
TheShaggyDA wrote:
Twas a sad day when TVs started appearing in pubs.

Very Happy Bet you remember them without the slot machines and those new fangled juke box thingies too.

...and as for serving food in pubs, well that's what those posh restaurant places are for. Proper pub food equals packed of crisps, salted peanuts and a bag of pork scratchings Wink Very Happy

On topic - bad etiquette. Should have been asked to sit down and shut up or leave by the barstaff, and then marched outside if didn't comply.

Thumbs Up


On the food note, I'm sorry, but food in pubs isn't a bad thing, in fact it's a brilliant thing; until you've had ham egg and chips in the Chequers Inn, Goldhanger in Essex, you don't know what you're talking about... Wink
____________________
McGee - "When I go to the mall and see all the high school girls, I have to have DO NOT TOUCH THE GIRLS written on my hand. Every time I go to grope I see it and stop."
K7 GSXR750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best pub crisps ever at the moment

Mcoys Mexican Chili washed down with a Pint of Holts's Touchwood Bitter or Six-X Ale Very Happy
____________________
JACK, MISS YOU LOADS YOU LEGEND.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:49 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sort of thing really annoys me Dave, especially when they are the minority.
If I walk into a bar and hear football cheers and the sound of footy on the TV, I walk out, simple.
Find another pub if you don’t like it. Rolling Eyes

Things I dislike in pubs….

Arrow Beer boy(z): easily spotted by their pink stripy tops, invincible hair, T-shirts and scarf’s, crocodile shoes and nasty deodorant. Not forgetting the ever increasing loudness after each sip of Carling piss water.
Usually in groups of 50 or more all playing pool it seems, at the same time, jumping up and down, shouting things like LEGEND!!!......C’MON!!! and some other chants that only their group understand. ‘Belong’ Rolling Eyes

Arrow Corporate Cocks: The Debenhams suit, the rosy red cheeks, shoes that outshine a bobby’s and always enough spare change in the back pocket to make a sound.
Doesn’t matter if it’s their place, or your local, they set out to annoy strangers with mobile phones, loud conversations about money….and when it comes to the bar…..they’re are there leaning over you, or trying to push in, £20 note in hand usually protruding between your arm and the next guy, keeping one eye on the scum and one eye on the barmaid.
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave McCool
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:50 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:
Best pub crisps ever at the moment

Mcoys Mexican Chili washed down with a Pint of Holts's Touchwood Bitter or Six-X Ale Very Happy


Nice, worst crisps, by a long way, when your pint count is double figures, are Space Raiders.

At 10p they're very tempting, but the results are both instantaneous, and dramatic.
____________________
McGee - "When I go to the mall and see all the high school girls, I have to have DO NOT TOUCH THE GIRLS written on my hand. Every time I go to grope I see it and stop."
K7 GSXR750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:57 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
TheShaggyDA wrote:
Twas a sad day when TVs started appearing in pubs.

Very Happy Bet you remember them without the slot machines and those new fangled juke box thingies too.


True, true, but at least with slot machines and jukeboxes you don't take over the whole pub (unless it's a very small one).
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave McCool
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:03 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
Arrow Corporate Cocks: The Debenhams suit, the rosy red cheeks, shoes that outshine a bobby’s and always enough spare change in the back pocket to make a sound.
Doesn’t matter if it’s their place, or your local, they set out to annoy strangers with mobile phones, loud conversations about money….and when it comes to the bar…..they’re are there leaning over you, or trying to push in, £20 note in hand usually protruding between your arm and the next guy, keeping one eye on the scum and one eye on the barmaid.


These guys are the worst at football matches, was sat in a busy pub, which very much classes itself as a sports pub (and is, indeed, probably the finest in Brighton) watching the game on a raised screen above a table. There were 2 girls at the table, and once they realised we weren't staring at them (well, maybe a little bit) they were good, and made a point of not getting in the way of the screen.

Then, in the last 15 minutes of the game, 3 gentlemen, matching your exact description above, sauntered in. One went to the bar, the other 2 were chatting to the girls. I got up and politely asked them if they could not stand in front of the screen. They accepted this, and, like the girls, also avoided doing so.

Then matey at the bar gets back, and stands right in the way. Again, I got up, and after the same, quite reasonable request, told me to "stand up if you can't see." I explained that there were 20 of us, and standing wouldn't really be convenient, and also that we had been sat in the same spot for 2 hours, and nobody had given us any trouble.

He informed me that that was tough shit, and that he'd keep us informed on the score.

A brief exchange of profanities followed, and not being up for a mass brawl (well, at least not 'til full time) I backed down, and we all arranged ourselves to see around fatty (who was now, very delibrately being a cunt about it).

The match finished, and we decided to not let it ruin our night, so we moved on.

Unfortunately for him, he later turned up in the same club as us. A lot of drinks were 'spilled' on him, and several poured down the back of his neck.

The next thing he knew, he was being dragged out by the police. Apparantly, someone had complained to the bouncers that the guy was offering coke...
____________________
McGee - "When I go to the mall and see all the high school girls, I have to have DO NOT TOUCH THE GIRLS written on my hand. Every time I go to grope I see it and stop."
K7 GSXR750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:21 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admire the fact you held back from slapping the fucker.

I know i couldnt, or any of my mates could.

Well done Thumbs Up
____________________
JACK, MISS YOU LOADS YOU LEGEND.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave McCool
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:24 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 of us, 3 of them?

With us throwing the first punch?

That's gang violence that is, and we were sober enough (at that time) to realise that no-one needs that on their record...
____________________
McGee - "When I go to the mall and see all the high school girls, I have to have DO NOT TOUCH THE GIRLS written on my hand. Every time I go to grope I see it and stop."
K7 GSXR750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bennett211085
Crazy Courier



Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:16 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd of just told em politely to fuck off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy



Joined: 21 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Now you know what it feels like for us in traditionally 'non-football' (or other sporgts) pubs after a football game when people spread out to other establishments Smile.


Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try watching footy in the pub when you're 5 foot-not-much, EVERYONE is in your way.

The only way I could get a half-decent view of the screen would be to bungee myself to the rafters. Rolling Eyes Doh!

Mudskipper Mr. Green
____________________
CBR125|||GSXR400|||CBR400|||CBR400|||CB250RS|||GSXR750|||CB250RS Mr. Green
"You're clumsy, you eat too much and you behave like a 12 year old boy. But you know what? Every once in a while, you find a thumb."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SoulRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:52 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The women shouting penis, you should have dropped your cock in her mouth and she soon would have shut up Thumbs Up

plus she will be kneeling and wont get in way of tv Very Happy
____________________
My Bike Pics
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:56 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to punch anyone. If someone is behaving like a twat, just give them the bums rush straight out the door and lock it behind them.

We used to do this regularly in our 'local' in Edinburgh, it had a good atmosphere because it was effectively self-policing.

Just get the two biggest guys to take a forearm and shoulder each and gently but firmly frogmarch them out onto the pavement. Don't say anything at all. Shut and bolt the door behind them.

This is the sort of hint that is seldom misunderstood, the trick is to do it very suddenly, briskly and quietly. Before they know what's happening, they are standing outside looking at a locked door.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:20 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave how old were these 3 boys and 3 girls in general? I know it would have annoyed me.

I hate it in pubs when you are sat down in mixed sex groups and you always get 2 guys (one with some weird looking face and the other a big guy) who come along and attempt to chat them up, mid-interesting conversation hence us all getting mighty annoyed and telling them where to go.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pd666
Crash Test Dummy



Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be suicide to stand in front of a footy game on tv here, specially if it's an oldfirm game. You should have knocked her cider blackcurrant over her Wink

That or pay the barman to tea bag her pint. Thumbs Up

You dont block the view of the footy on tv, if in a pub, that's just rude.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.66 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 141.28 Kb