Yet another situation with Petrol Stations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

wilbur
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:50 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've always preferred the Pay at Pump both on my bike and in the car but there seems to be a diminishing number of them in the Midlands.

Any ideas why? Is it more expensive to maintain a petrol pump than to pay for a member of staff?

Yep there is a massive reason why. It invites stolen card fraud.

No signature, no pin. The criminals love them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is stopping them programming a card terminal so you:

Arrow pull up and put your card in and enter pin then it locks card in machine.
Arrow fill bike up then it calculates how much to take off card
Arrow then when it takes amount off card, it lets you take card back out, ride off
Thumbs Up

wilbur
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:43 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what is stopping them programming a card terminal so you:

Arrow pull up and put your card in and enter pin then it locks card in machine.
Arrow fill bike up then it calculates how much to take off card
Arrow then when it takes amount off card, it lets you take card back out, ride off

Nothing but that is not how it was implemented.

It was stick any card in, get £30 of fuel and drive off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 00:28 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilbur wrote:
Quote:
I've always preferred the Pay at Pump both on my bike and in the car but there seems to be a diminishing number of them in the Midlands.

Any ideas why? Is it more expensive to maintain a petrol pump than to pay for a member of staff?

The one I used recently requires a pin.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

california_rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:31 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Station owners have found a rather smart way of dealing with the situation here in the colonies: No gas 'til after you pay, either in person or at the pump.

Have you not debit/check cards that can be inserted into the little slot on the pump itsself? I'm sure you're all being charged extra for the few who choose not to pay... Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 09:30 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

california_rookie wrote:
Have you not debit/check cards that can be inserted into the little slot on the pump itsself? I'm sure you're all being charged extra for the few who choose not to pay... Neutral

Yes, that's the "pay at pump" we've been referring to.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wilbur
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:55 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The one I used recently requires a pin.

Good. Our local Tesco one (dunno if its still the same) used to have no authentication at all. I suspect/hope its changed now.

california_rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShaggyDA wrote:
california_rookie wrote:

Yes, that's the "pay at pump" we've been referring to.

Right. My fault for just skimming the thread. Anyway, my point being that it's so very obvious that the best way to deal with the problem would be to have a debit/credit card reader on every pump, as they do here. It's been years since I've seen one without it and almost as long since I've seen someone walk from the pump to the store holding a fistfull of bills.

Quote:

I can't imagine theft-related fraud being a problem due to the fact that anyone who has their card stolen is most likely going to report the theft immediately and have a new card with a new number issued. So, when you think about it, the pin pads aren't really necessary either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local petrol station was quite good. It was 30 secs from my house and they weren't bothered that i kept my helmet on to pay.

Then i found out they were selling dodgy petrol, so that pissed me right off. Mad

zaknafien

PostPosted: 22:44 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

california_rookie wrote:
I can't imagine theft-related fraud being a problem due to the fact that anyone who has their card stolen is most likely going to report the theft immediately and have a new card with a new number issued. So, when you think about it, the pin pads aren't really necessary either.

Rolling Eyes

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:47 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My local petrol station was quite good. It was 30 secs from my house and they weren't bothered that i kept my helmet on to pay.

Then i found out they were selling dodgy petrol, so that pissed me right off

Maybe they took comfort that anyone who didn't pay and ripped 'em off might end up with a bust vehicle, and those customers who are nice law abiding citizens, are just unlucky..

and which one was it?

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:18 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason was - it was cheaper.

I always paid as the other one is 'Tesco 24 Hour' which actually isn't - i could rely on my local one and always paid and that - but it turns out they fucked the fuel tank.

The bikes gone now so it's not too bad. Laughing

california_rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:25 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:
california_rookie wrote:

Rolling Eyes

I miss something?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

california_rookie wrote:

You do not need a stolen card, only the card details placed onto a blank card with a mag strip on it.... These card creators can be had very easily and it only needs one iffy person in the back of a retailer to pass the card details on.....
If the UPT had a pin pad then this is not a problem... Tesco ones with no pin pad are a common target for fraudsters.....
Even to the point of taking a car with 25 ltr drums in the back and a handfull of cards and filling them up.....

The 1st anyone knows is when they get their statement and checks it closely enough to notice a few trans that are not theirs.....
THankfully Tesco are now updating to pin pads and that will kill the losses that they are having to stand....

california_rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Thought that kinda thing was fiction, relegated to movies such as Terminator 2, etc. Apparently that's not a problem here as I would've heard of at least one instance one the local news. Guess we're too lazy to actually put some work into our thievery these days. However, even if it was a problem here, no one would care as most credit card companies have fraud protection with such claims as 'your money will be back in your account by the end of the day'. Thanks for your elaborations, iooi. And all the extra periods.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:56 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its alive and well.
One thing i would never do is use a card in a petrol station, they are the worst point of compromise there is...
Unless it was one of these UPT's.

Not many in the UK will put money back the next day. Some will take weeks or months before you see your hard earned cash back in your account..

california_rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:43 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

Not many in the UK will put money back the next day. Some will take weeks or months before you see your hard earned cash back in your account..

Well, I guess that's why we Americans so willingly bend over and present our posteriors for their massive interest rates. Idea

Bishbash
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

freestyler_onli wrote:

Then i found out they were selling dodgy petrol, so that pissed me right off. Mad

Dodgy petrol????? I'm intrigued how was it dodgy petrol and what company was it?

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they got busted for selling dodgy 'Red Diesel' but Unleaded etc.... and Super unleaded were found to have been ''watered down.''

I dont know if they literally meant 'watered down'.

I can't remember what 'chain' it is, but i know it ISN'T BP or ESSO/SHELL.

Bishbash
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

I am shocked! Thats terrible, is the garage closed down now?

LOL, cant belive they got busted for selling red diesel. Idiots!

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the garage is part of a car showroom and ......... repair shop.

I don't know if theyre closing or just ''improving'' the quality of the fuels. Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2