Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CB500 owners - what does your bike sound like...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Marci
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:00 - 08 Feb 2007    Post subject: CB500 owners - what does your bike sound like... Reply with quote

...just as you run out of juice?

Was happily whippin' along last night when suddenly sounded as tho someone had affixed a piece of yoghurt pot to my back wheel... sounded as tho there was something flappin in the exhaust.

Exhaust note change and engine struggled to rev.

Got it home and immediately thought the worst and went to check valves etc... all fine. Popped off the exhaust and downpipes... all fine (GOD does it make a row with no endcan on!!)... whacked it all back together and took it back out, all was fine for about 5 minutes then it did it again.

Promptly got on the blower to me trusty mate Daz who flew round (with his cape bellowing behind him in the wind... undies outside the trousers), scratched his chin and started on about possibly internal corrosion of silencer had caused something inside it to drop and restrict exhaust producing the bizarre power delivery and noise. Popped it off again and all was well... so stuck it back on.

Went back out on the bike, and true enough, same thing happened after a few minutes. At that point I looked at my trip counter, flipped the tank to reserve, and voila! All fixed...

My general experience of bikes has been no juice = stuttery jerky performance then nothing... never have I had it where it sounds as tho I'm either firing on one cylinder or as tho a pixy has snuck up behind me with a Ski-yoghurt pot and sellotape at the lights...

Is this a commonality of Parallel Twins, or the CB500, or is my bike just bizarre??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 08 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GS500 just gradually gets more and more reluctant to rev. sounds funny as fuck... like an energiser bunny running out of batteries and me going Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Marci
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:29 - 08 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, sounds about right then for the power delivery... twas the change in exhaust sound that had me worried... but since I've filled up it sounds same as per usual. Only ever run out of juice on a 2 stroke before... and that literally would just die completely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Trixie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 08 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

When mine was low on juice (or I'd forgotten to turn the fuel tap on Embarassed ) it always sounded like it was running on 1 cylinder. All fine after application of petrol/turning on fuel...sounds like you're describing exactly what I used to experience.

Marci
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:32 - 08 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta v.much - that's enough to restore my confidence in the brute...!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1