Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Question for technical type peeps.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 23:40 - 19 Aug 2003    Post subject: Question for technical type peeps. Reply with quote

Right, nice and simple... What I want you to do is take a look at the rear cylinder in this picture then....

https://www.abercon.co.uk/~neilr/pix_bits/enginecut.jpg

At a guess, how much would I be able to bore that out by, safely?

Then if not could I, and if so, where would I be able to get some new barrels machined up?

Thanks Smile

Akira
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:44 - 19 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother mate, there's bits missing. You'd never get any compression for a start. Wink

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 00:10 - 20 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akira wrote:
I wouldn't bother mate, there's bits missing. You'd never get any compression for a start. Wink

Laughing Very Happy

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 01:20 - 20 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god Zimma, please tell me that isn't your actual engine. From what I hear things of yours that get taken apart have a habit of not getting put back together Confused

Anyways, best bet would be to talk to Kev, although he might just point you in the direction of that bloke he knows from Big CC Racing.

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 03:09 - 20 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobysnacks wrote:
Oh god Zimma, please tell me that isn't your actual engine. From what I hear things of yours that get taken apart have a habit of not getting put back together Confused

Anyways, best bet would be to talk to Kev, although he might just point you in the direction of that bloke he knows from Big CC Racing.

Laughing Look at the url for the image. No, that isn't my engine Very Happy Razz

I have already spoke to the bloke at BigCC and he said to bring down the barrels for him to take a look at and see if there was any room to play with, unfortunately that's not gonna happen for a while as I have no cash to play with at the moment, but the I found that image while I was browsing around some VTR sites and thought someone on here may be able to enlighten me as to wether it was possible to bore it out a bit without getting too dangerously close to the cooling system. Very Happy

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 09:57 - 20 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the picture it's hard to say exactly what you could do, but I would say about a +60 overbore should be possible without serious problems.

You would then benifit from getting the head machined as well so that flow was maximised (starting to cost lots of money at this point though).

Gav
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 10:02 - 20 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

[robby mode]Just forget the 'storm engine. Just buy a Triumph Rocket III, 147ftlb of torque and accelerates at 1.2G[/robby mode]

Sorry, I just read it in MCN and was impressed with the figures. Rolling Eyes

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:11 - 20 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm having one of them.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 12:25 - 20 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zim, just go buy a better bike, much cheaper. Why bore the thing out, it's only more likely to blow on ya Wink get those high compression pistons, Turbo, Supercharger and NOS.

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 17:23 - 20 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonic69 wrote:
Zim, just go buy a better bike, much cheaper. Why bore the thing out, it's only more likely to blow on ya Wink get those high compression pistons, Turbo, Supercharger and NOS.

Translation: Dean wants you to buy a 'Blade Very Happy

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 17:24 - 20 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Na, GSXR1100 would suit Zim more, he wants something to fuck about with

zaknafien

PostPosted: 17:28 - 20 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a 100 off and then your on the money. Smile

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 17:31 - 20 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zim don't deserve a Gixxer Thou!

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 17:32 - 20 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a case of deserving Dean he would still be on the CG125 Very Happy

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 17:32 - 20 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is that Very Happy

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 17:39 - 20 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine how much weight and simpler that engine would be if it was just a 2 stroke, Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:23 - 20 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobysnacks wrote:
If it was a case of deserving Dean he would still be on the CG125 Very Happy

Or maybe a SR 125? Razz

Very Happy

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 10:46 - 21 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Doubt you could bore it out much. Is it a plated bore or does it have a seperate cast liner?

By the way, Gav was showing his age by referring to thou, ie, thousanths of an inch. 60 thou is basically 1.5mm.

All the best

Keith

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 10:50 - 21 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTS Performance only advertise a 1mm rebore on their website, and that keeps(?) the engine capacity at 996cc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 20:34 - 22 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiN wrote:
TTS Performance only advertise a 1mm rebore on their website, and that keeps(?) the engine capacity at 996cc.

I know, that is basically just a high compression kit, takes it up from 9.4 to 11.5. According to them it doesn't need boring just a decoke. I spoke to a bloke at bigcc and he said to bring the barrels down and he'd have a look, so I suppose that is my best bet.

Anyone, any ideas where I could get some barrels machined up? Never really looked into anything like that so I don't have a clue what sort of places would do it? Or even if it is possible?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:13 - 22 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Any decent engineering shop could machine you up a set of barrels. Price might well bring a tear to your eyes though.

Probably worth talking to TTS and seeing if they know of any alternative barrels for sale.

Anyway, for torque surely you want to stroke it rather than boring it out.

All the best

Keith

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 22:02 - 22 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Doubt you could bore it out much. Is it a plated bore or does it have a seperate cast liner?

By the way, Gav was showing his age by referring to thou, ie, thousanths of an inch. 60 thou is basically 1.5mm.

Hey from what I can see from the little pic it was just a guesstimate (I hate that word!)

And as for me showing my age. Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1