Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hello and any NSR buying advice?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Teamcalibra
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:47 - 07 May 2002    Post subject: Hello and any NSR buying advice? Reply with quote

Hello,

Just found this forum and needing some advice on buying an 125 NSR. At the moment I drive a 4x4 Calibra Turbo but looking to get a bike to ride to work. Have the CBT this Sunday and then will probs get around to the theory test some point in the summer followed by the DAS...

I only have a few £k to spend and so a new bike is a no no... Am I likely to find any decent examples for this kind of cash? Is insurance going cost a fortune and any companies I should try? I am 23 y/o and been driving for 5 years... although after a scrape in the last car with a Merc I've been reduced to 2 years NCB! Rolling Eyes Oh and 3 points... Rolling Eyes

Need lot's of advice as I'm totally new to bikes... Hmmm is the NSR a good choice and what are the spec for restricted / de-restricted?

Cheers for the help,
James

from Birmingham if anyone was wondering!

bikerboy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 02:26 - 07 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a aprilia rs125 that all i can say plus they are much better then nsr's and the same price too

zaknafien

PostPosted: 07:51 - 07 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
get a aprilia rs125 that all i can say plus they are much better then nsr's and the same price too

He's right apart from they look shite are much worse and aslong as you dont mind em breaking down every other week get an RS by all means.

Anyhow you can pick up a second hand NSR for about 2k (thats like last years model) i saw a 2000 black NSR with foxeye fairings for 2k, which was nice but i was poor so couldnt afford it. Just take a look in bike trader they have loads.

Kieths your man for specs etc so i'll leave that side to him, if youd rather have realiability, decent speed, decent looks then go for an NSR if you want a fast but unreliable bike go for an RS and if you want a drop dead gorgeous but unreliable bike go for a Mito.

In a nutshell

RS = Fastest
NSR = Most Reliable
Mito = Sexiest

There are other sports 125's you can get like the one from suzuki and Sach's but i know jack about them.

MultiSync
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:30 - 07 May 2002    Post subject: Re: Hello and any NSR buying advice? Reply with quote

Teamcalibra wrote:
Hello,

Just found this forum and needing some advice on buying an 125 NSR. At the moment I drive a 4x4 Calibra Turbo but looking to get a bike to ride to work. Have the CBT this Sunday and then will probs get around to the theory test some point in the summer followed by the DAS...

I only have a few £k to spend and so a new bike is a no no... Am I likely to find any decent examples for this kind of cash? Is insurance going cost a fortune and any companies I should try? I am 23 y/o and been driving for 5 years... although after a scrape in the last car with a Merc I've been reduced to 2 years NCB! Rolling Eyes Oh and 3 points... Rolling Eyes

Need lot's of advice as I'm totally new to bikes... Hmmm is the NSR a good choice and what are the spec for restricted / de-restricted?

Cheers for the help,
James

from Birmingham if anyone was wondering!

Hi, im going to get an NSR too, im 19 and from the North East, Insurance for me is £320 a year Third Party Fire and Theft - so it isnt that steep considering the cunts want neck end of a grand to insure me on a 1 litre micra.

I had a look around at all the sports bikes and the NSR seems to be the deffinate choice because :

- Honda = Reliable
- Available and cheap parts
- They look fucking sexy
- 0-60 in somthing like 5-6 seconds (according to nsr125.com)

The RS125 seems to have major reliability problems according to the sites and forums ive read, but i think its quicker than the NSR.

I dont speak from experience with any of the above, ive not yet ridden an NSR or RS - but just what ive read around the net.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 08:44 - 07 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kinda depends on what you want the bike for...and if you're really gonna be serious on bikes in the near future...

I listened to the "majority" here, and plumped for the NSR, and whilst I don't regret it as such, I wish that I had taken some of the other people's advice into greater consideration...

Considering your age, and the fact that you intend to do DAS in the summer, I'd advise that you either wait until you've passed your test, or if you can't wait, go for a very cheap (and hence, not particularly good condition) bike for a few months...that way, you'll have a greater choice at the end of it...you _will_ want a bigger bike very soon...

My particular bike has knocked my confidence a bit 'cos of problems with the first gear (not all NSRs are like this though!), and I am currently attributing this to the fact that it's a 2-stroke, and that I don't know how to care for them properly...

Just my thoughts...

Tin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teamcalibra
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:01 - 07 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies and sound advice Smile

I do like the looks of the NSR and have not been keen on the Aprillia's. At the moment car insurance costs a bomb and mainly the reason why I intend on sticking to a 125 for a while (plus to get some experience!). Maybe I'll get bored of the car and opt for a cheaper one and get a quicker bike Wink

If someone could confirm the spec for me and any second hand buying advice.... Question

Cheers again.

James

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:06 - 07 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikerboy wrote:

they are the same price when u buy them but over time u spend loads on fixing them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 11:00 - 07 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying Advise - same as anything else really, look for one thats in good nick. Check tyres and chain as theyre the most expensive to replace. Get FSH if you can. Avoid a high miler(like mine Confused ), after about 20K strokers need a rebuild. Hold the front brake on and push the forks down - feel for a notch throught the bars - that means head bearings have gone. Feel the fork leg after to make sure theres no oil on them - that means fork seals have gone. Hold the bike upright and push down on the back, make sure it comes back up nice and smooth.

Oh, and take a biker with you so they can take it for a test ride.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:30 - 07 May 2002    Post subject: Re: Hello and any NSR buying advice? Reply with quote

Hi

Teamcalibra wrote:

Anything should be cheaper than the Calibra to run. Mate had one that cost him a fortune, although some of that was the incompetance of the local Vauxhall dealers. He wasnt impressed with the advice to swap the tyres front to back every 1000 miles to even wear out and avoid destroying the central diff

Teamcalibra wrote:
I only have a few £k to spend and so a new bike is a no no... Am I likely to find any decent examples for this kind of cash? Is insurance going cost a fortune and any companies I should try? I am 23 y/o and been driving for 5 years... although after a scrape in the last car with a Merc I've been reduced to 2 years NCB! :roll: Oh and 3 points... :roll:

Your car no claims will do you no good at all on a bike. The insurance companies dont give a stuff for it. However, your age will help

However, if you are old enough to do DAS and intend to go for that, I would be tempted to hang on until you have passed your test. Small 125s are fun, but not everyone likes them

A used sporty 125 (such as an NSR or RS) start from about £500, but you will need to be lucky to get anything any use for that kind of money. For around £1500 you can have a fair choice of 125s.

Have a wander up to D&K in Stoke (easy to find, from J15 of the M6 head towards Stoke, then turn up the A34 and D&K is on the right after about 3~4 miles) and have a look at the various bikes. May also help you decide whether to go for a 125 or a larger bike. Also try popping into Dans motorcycles in Stone on the way back.

Teamcalibra wrote:

Top speed of a full power 125 (NSR, RS, Mito) will be in the range of 95~105mph, with the NSR towards the bottom of that range, and the Mito and RS towards the top (but the speedo on any of them will show rather more). Standing 1/4 mile in 15.5~16.5 second range. Restricted they will manage around 70~80mph true.

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 20:44 - 07 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now now Keith you're being completely unfair! You know perfecftly well I paid £400 for my NSR (1991), admittadly it cost me £50 in parts to repair the fork seals and bushes but otherwise there was nothing wrong with it. If you look around you are likely to get a good deal. Other 125s to consider are the Yamaha TZR, these are supposed to be as quick as the NSR and are slightly cheaper to buy (though not as nice looking - justy a personal opinion there), or the Suzuki RGs, a friend had an RG Gamma 125 and reckoned he could keep up with his brother on an RS.....(could be a load of rubbish) Both the Suzuki and Yamaha are cheaper to buy second hand.

McJamweasel is right - take a biker with you when you look at bikes, they will be able to get a feel for the bike which is better than just going through a checklist. Insist on a test ride, and look around, get an idea of the market. Unfortunately at the moment the bike market is at an all time high - so you'll be paying slightly over the odds.

Good luck with the bike hunt!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teamcalibra
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:43 - 07 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the replies. Keith, you are right about the Calibra. I rotate the tyres every 3k miles to prevent tx box failure and oil changes every 4k miles. I now do the work on it as my local Vauxhall dealership didn't have a clue! Still good fun car to drive tho...

One thing that has got me thinking now, should I look for something bigger than a 125? What do you suggest? I only have a few £k to play with and don't want to spend a fortune on insurance... Bennetts quoted me some silly price on the NSR! Shocked

Cheers,
James

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:45 - 08 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There are quite a few sensible bikes around that are quickish. A GPZ500 is fairly cheap (my better half paid £825 for one in good condition) as they have been making them for 15 years, will manage just under 130 and will outaccelerate almost any car while doing about 55mpg+. Similar bikes are the GS500 Suzuki and the CB500 Honda. These should all be fairly low insurance groups. There are also the sports 400s.

I would advise that you dont buy a hot 250 2 stroke, as although very quick they are not that easy to ride and not really good for someone who is learning. To an extent the same applies to the 600s, mainly because they are quick

All the best

Keith

Teamcalibra
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:59 - 09 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Keith.

I was thinking of a 400 and looked at the CBR400. The Kwak ZXR400(?) seem to cost lots more though...

On the insurance side I don't understand? The CBR400 TPFT (£430) was slightly cheaper than an NSR125RR (£436)? Strange... Then fully comp it was too expensive with the CBR policy coming in at £1,500. Which means I could only afford to insure TPFT... Are most people on here insured TPFT?

What sort of mileage would you look for on a second hand bike? A lot of the older 400's in Bikemart had seemed to have done quite a bit!

Cheers,
James

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:23 - 09 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Insurance is strange, and to make it worse Fully Comp bike insurance rarely includes personal injury cover to the insured (so it is not as good as car fully comp). You would need to get that seperatly

The 125's suffer a bit as they a mainly owned by learners, who are (apologies to anyone reading) far more likely to crash, and with little no claims to protect probably more likely to claim.

The GPZ500 we got has done about 25000 (think), quite a few owners, but good condition, full MOT, new chain, new front and rear pads / shoes. That was bought privatly for £825. It did need new tyres, but they existing ones were both in good condition but were an illegal combination (radial front, cross ply rear).

All the best

Keith

Teamcalibra
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:29 - 09 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think I'll be taking the advice and wait until after DAS before buying a bike. I'm tempted to look at the 400's... So means I'll have to get off my butt and put in for the theory test.

Thanks for all the help - no doubt I'll have more questions.

Cheers,
James
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 359 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1