Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Racist Tory, or more PC dross?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 20:57 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Racist Tory, or more PC dross? Reply with quote

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=0MTJHY2I5A12JQFIQMFSFFWAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/news/2007/03/08/nmercer108.xml

Naturally, he's being misquoted by most news sources. Note the following:

Quote:

"I came across a lot of ethnic minority soldiers who were idle and useless, but who used racism as cover for their misdemeanours,"

Nowhere does that state he believes all ethnic soldiers are idle or useless.

Nowhere in any news article is there any evidence or opinion offered to disprove what he actually said, rather than what they'd like people to think he said.

Quote:

I had five company sergeant majors who were all black. They were without exception UK-born, Nottingham-born men who were English - as English as you and me," he told the Times.

"They prospered inside my regiment, but if you'd said to them: 'Have you ever been called a nigger?' they would have said: 'Yes'. But equally, a chap with red hair, for example, would also get a hard time - a far harder time than a black man, in fact.

"But that's the way it is in the Army. If someone is slow on the assault course, you'd get people shouting: 'Come on you fat bastard, come on you ginger bastard, come on you black bastard'."

Anyone who has served in the forces will tell you that the above is true, thus, what has he done wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Re: Racist Tory, or more PC dross? Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
Anyone who has served in the forces will tell you that the above is true, thus, what has he done wrong?

Dared to tell the truth. Very rare in a politician, so obviously he had to go.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latter, almost certainly. I'm quite surprised that he still decided to come out with those comments though as these days there's not a hope in hell of keeping your job as a politician after saying something like that. Especially when Mr PR is your boss.

Gpz 900R
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:54 - 09 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having served for over 20 years in the forces i think his comments were spot on, i get really pissed off with all this crap people get for telling it how it is, i have seen people first hand play the race card to get promotion, then as females became intergrated in to regiments the sexist card played, i'm not racist or sexist before the pc members start having a go.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 11:08 - 09 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"But that's the way it is in the Army. If someone is slow on the assault course, you'd get people shouting: 'Come on you fat bastard, come on you ginger bastard, come on you black bastard'."

as you said, that's exactly how it goes, its never meant as offensive, and generally isnt taken as such

its generally the lazy fucks, as this chap mentioned, who play the sexist, racist card to try and get away from the fact, that they need to pull their finger out.
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 09 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imagine if someone was fat, black and had ginger hair, the piss taking would never end, especially in the army Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 15:58 - 09 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The media has completely over-hyped this and taken his comments out of their original context.

His point was that people of ethnic origin are treated no differently in the army to anyone else. Not, as the BBC reported, that all blacks are referred to as "Black Bastards".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 09 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the full comments and none of it was 'racist'. The bloke was just talking about real life situations from his experience in the army. He is qualified to do so.
His criticism was of a Racism union, not of ethnic minority soldiers. He was pointing out the fact that in the army they are all the same, some good some bad.
The problem is that his realism doesn't fit with the over sensitive PC nonsense policy of the Tory party. It's pathetic.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 17:45 - 09 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKADave as highlighted the most crucial aspect of this story; namely that David Cameron should be supporting this decorated ex-serviceman for speaking the truth, not jumping on the PC bandwagon to curry favour with the liberal press.

Darkside
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:49 - 09 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly justifiable what he said, I believe the media have twisted his words to make what he has said an across the board depiction of ethnics in the Army.
In the Army training has to be made arduous as possible, and if references are made to everyone then i see no problem here.
Having completed army training myself and been subject to such apparent "insults" I feel it does nothing but make you stronger.
If you cannot emotionally handle comments such as these during training I see no way as to how on earth you will last on operational duties.
Many people holler 'racism' as they have no idea of some of the vigours to army life because they are so adjusted to civilian life.
The exposing by the media to what has been going on in the Army for years and subsequently one of the best fighting forces in the world (on a limited budget) has done nothing but turn public opinion against the forces yet again.
Even I myself was fooled by the initial spin put on the comments until I read fully whay had been said. Media make me Sick sometimes.

https://www.r1-superbike.com

h00dwink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:25 - 10 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was sickened to read the times and the guardian running the same piece of selective quoting. i thought they were better than that.

https://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article1484909.ece
https://www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,,2029423,00.html

because of which, they're no better than the average tabloid paper.
the selective quoting was absolutely disgraceful and irresponsible. as such it resulted in an upstanding member of the community losing his job.

anybody who isn't a dribbling, bib wearing, complete moron will be able to realise this.
alas we live in a country where the sun is the most read newspaper (magazine).

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 22:29 - 10 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Guardian is infamous for its selective quoting - and the Times has gone down-hill in recent years.

In many ways, the Guardian is more insidious than the Sun, because as a broadsheet, people assign it slightly more credibility. I read both it and the Telegraph, and find it to be the paper that injects the most amount of bias into its actual stories, rather than confining it to the editorial page.

pwntifex
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 13 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
The media has completely over-hyped this and taken his comments out of their original context.

Surely not? Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1