Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Climate change film, Ch4 now

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:07 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Climate change film, Ch4 now Reply with quote

The other side of the coin.

Several eminent climatologists were cited by the government as subscribing to the "Man made CO2 causes global warming" theory in a report produced for the EU.

They had in fact resigned from the working group because they disagreed with the theories but their name was put to the document anyway. They are now having their say.

Should be interesting.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 22:09 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching this with interest. However, I think it will be one of those things impossible to tell in our lifetimes. How are we to know who to believe. It's one of those things that only time will tell I think.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave up when they linked climate change to "cars and planes" and explained how it'd been happening pre 2nd world war when hardly anyone had cars.

Industrial revolution anyone? Idea

Far too much removed to have any factual standing.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:44 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looks like they are heading for "The atmosphere is getting hotter because the sun is more active.".

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which seems a pretty logical conclusion to me. I find the momentum of the whole thing totally depressing, especially since it involves such ridiculous expectations of developing countries.

Ironically I flicked over to BBC1 during the adverts and there was an item on saying how we were pressurizing EU countries to lower carbon emissions by 20-30%, even though places like Poland are some 40 years behind us in terms of development.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it insightful and something that could almost have been written by kickstart, and refreshing to see the other side of the coin.

The last 30 minutes were more interesting though in that it talked about how there was NO debate how global warming deniers were like child molesters etc al.

the African supression thoughts were interesting though , esp since Frog attacked us with it recently in that do it just incase may cause 100s millions of lives to be lost and that warming may not be a bad thing.

It sort of linked into politics of fear also that boogey men had to be created for various reasons:

to control the populace,

to justify peoples jobs - this is important cus we have tons of non jobs like PC advisors in councils that ban this and that to justify their jobs , speed camera partnerships that twist Stats , to fit their own views and justify their jobs. 5 a day coordinators etc al,

I have noticed that the climate change scenarios have gotten worse and worse and worse over time around 2000 it was 1-2 degrees in 100 years time , 2007 tipping point is only 15 years away, seems a bit alarmist.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Last edited by Itchy on 23:54 - 08 Mar 2007; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting program, nice to see what the 'other' side of the debate team have to say. Smile Thumbs Up
Me goes out and buys 5.7 litre american car Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 23:54 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
refreshing to see the other side of the coin.

I'm still waiting to see the first side of the coin, all we've got so far is 'global warming is caused by c02 and it's all humans fault, fact.'

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:
Itchy wrote:
refreshing to see the other side of the coin.

I'm still waiting to see the first side of the coin, all we've got so far is 'global warming is caused by c02 and it's all humans fault, fact.'

its been on the BBC and ITV for months , that guy at the Antartic watching the ice melt, 5 ways to save the world , ethical choice man, etc
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan 4RR wrote:
Very interesting program, nice to see what the 'other' side of the debate team have to say. Smile Thumbs Up
Me goes out and buys 5.7 litre american car Laughing

no you must ride around all day with the choke on (actually no increases wear) , in 1st gear everywhere with a 50 kilo bag of cement on the back,

zaknafien

PostPosted: 23:57 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
its been on the BBC and ITV for months , that guy at the Antartic watching the ice melt, 5 ways to save the world , ethical choice man, etc

Yep, nothing but scare tactics and saying it's beyond debate without showing anything.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:58 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I'm watching this with interest. However, I think it will be one of those things impossible to tell in our lifetimes. How are we to know who to believe. It's one of those things that only time will tell I think.

but that was a problem that occured near the end, ie we supress certain technology to people and we end up killing millions of them ,

we don't supress it and maybe it happens, and we end up killing millions a very tough choice

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 08:20 - 09 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to weaponise space, or we'll all die. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

gavin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 09 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought it was very compelling. ive never been happy with the idea that its industrialisation that is solely responsible for the current warming. co2 is about the least contributary greenhouse gas, methane is something like 20 times more contributary and is present in bigger volumes, almost entirely from natural processes. then theres water vapour, which is many times more contributary....

the only thing i found a little odd, was if it is all about repressing the third world and stopping them from developing, in order to preserve our economic prosperity and energy security, how come the US has been anti global warming for so long? Confused you would think with their attitudes to their own energy security ( ie invading afghanistan and iraq, attempting to repress the middle east) they would be foremost in promoting the idea of man made global warming.

some interensting stuff here, https://www.junkscience.com/ though a lot does have a propaganda ring to it.

Piers Corbyn's WEATHERACTION site is better and well worth a read.

pwntifex
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 13 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see the govt. putting all the onus on cars and planes rather than big industry and coal/oil/n-gas fired power stations.

Crafty, innit?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:49 - 13 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

https://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6444145.stm?dynamic_vote=ON#vote_flight_tax3

Seems they want a 60% reduction in CO2 by 2050, with the green industry now pushing for an 80% reduction.

And Gordon Brown was on the radio this morning and seemed to think that switching to energy saving light bulbs will be a major contribution.

All the best

Keith

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 13 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And Gordon Brown was on the radio this morning and seemed to think that switching to energy saving light bulbs will be a major contribution.

He wouldn't happen to be a director of osram or gec would he now??

When we all reduce our power consumption what are the utility companies going to do when their profits start to shrink??

All this global warming scaremongering is going to lead to one thing. Another excuse to tax us.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:19 - 13 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:
When we all reduce our power consumption what are the utility companies going to do when their profits start to shrink??

They have plenty of ways to make a profit, and the difference between the price from the power station and the price you are billed for is pretty high.

All the best

Keith

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 14 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh, yes, lots more tax coming.

Now, then, you horrible lot. You have to buy energy saving lightbulbs and don't for goodness sake use Standby on your telly. Now, we are off to buy 25 billion pounds worth of nuclear missiles.

Confused? As always.

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 14 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harold_Shand wrote:
Ohhh, yes, lots more tax coming.

Now, then, you horrible lot. You have to buy energy saving lightbulbs and don't for goodness sake use Standby on your telly. Now, we are off to buy 25 billion pounds worth of nuclear missiles.

Confused? As always.

Hey Harold, you can stop and "FIGHT" if you like, I'm fucking off to Oz and hope to never return Laughing

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 14 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Very Happy

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1