Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Courts Martial travesties.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 23:01 - 13 Mar 2007    Post subject: Courts Martial travesties. Reply with quote

Does anyone else think we are wasting an obscene amount of effort on prosecuting British soldiers with unfounded accusations?

https://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,,2032916,00.html

7 men were originally accused of charges ranging between mistreatment of detainees and manslaughter - 1 admitted a lesser charge of 'inhuman treatment of a detainee' - whatever that is!

The cost to the taxpayer is figured at around £20,000,000, for this court martial alone.

Phil Shiner, the lawyer behind the action, has a record of actively seeking out cases against the MoD on behalf of foreign nationals - costing the taxpayer millions upon millions for often spurious cases based on overwhelmingly corrupt evidence.

The whole thing is an annoying sham.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 09:38 - 14 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get used to it, some people have jobs to do and need paying, this gives them something to do. These things just run their course, right or wrong.

And in the decades of war that are ahead with the East, this sort of thing will get a lot worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 14 Mar 2007    Post subject: Re: Courts Martial travesties. Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
Courts Martial travesties.

Sorry if I'm being flippant, but I 'm just being a bit thick (as usual)...
I read the title to be "Court Martialled Transvestites" - and I was getting confused as to how they let cross-dressing T.V.'s into the armed forces Rolling Eyes Embarassed

I'll gey my coat Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 15:40 - 14 Mar 2007    Post subject: Re: Courts Martial travesties. Reply with quote

Dazbo666 wrote:
I read the title to be "Court Martialled Transvestites"

Don't worry, you were not the only one to read it that way the first time round. Shifty

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 14 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Puts hand up***

Me too Embarassed Laughing

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 14 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudskipper wrote:
***Puts hand up***

Me too Embarassed Laughing

Whistle Shifty

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 22:51 - 14 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least we've been granted an insight into the way your sordid little minds work! Wink

Zak, I expected better from you! Oh, wait, no I didn't!

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
Well, at least we've been granted an insight into the way your sordid little minds work! Wink ....

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Harley Godzisz
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:07 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought it too Embarassed

But then again.. i wouldn't wanna go to war with a gun... i'm too chicken!!!

If World War 3 happens, I'll go shopping at New Look! Razz Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 22:42 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you believe this bit is true,
"The court martial heard that 10 civilians were arrested by members of the QLR in September 2003. They were then handcuffed, hooded, deprived of sleep and forced to maintain a "stress position", during which they were beaten if they dropped their arms. Mr Musa, died as he was being restrained."
I would say the soldiers shouldnt be doing that. Whether you blame the soldiers who do it, or the officers who give the orders is another matter.

However, war is a breakdown of reasonable behaviour, and to pretend that a war, or occupation can be conducted without the suffering of innocents, is a bit niave.

Thats why the Americans insist that while in Iraq, their soldiers are not subject to Iraqi laws or courts, and can basically do whatever the fuck they like.

In reality, any trials involving soldiers in an occupied country are more political than anything else. Sometimes the military will admit blame and other times they wont.

Softening up techniques, or conditiioning used before interrogation are not secret, they have even been shown on tv with a show where civilians get to go throught the sas selection process.

"A fifth man, Corporal Donald Payne, was cleared of Mr Musa's manslaughter. But he admitted to inhuman treatment of the detainees, and will be sentenced on March 30."

Id say that sleep deprivation, and stress positions maintined by threats would be classed as inhuman treatment.

The only reason the soldiers werent convicted, was lack of evidence. A scottish court would have given a verdict of not proven, which is not the same as not guilty.

Deaths in custody are usually avoidable if correct procedures are followed. I used to go out with a girl who used to be a prison officer. Her opinion on the number of deaths in police custody was that most were due to bad restraint techniques, ie everyone pile onto the guys chest, rather than pinning them onto their back by their arms. (Which is the way prison officers do it)

I also met a woman who worked in some kind of private sector secure mental unit for troublesome youths, and she said similar things about the slapdash techniques used by some staff. In particular the danger of restraining someone face down on the floor. She had worked at places where patients had died in custody due to incorrect restraint of this type. She got paid more in the private sector place than when she had been a mental nurse for the NHS, but she said the regime was more brutal and wasnt happy with the way things were going, as some staffs attitude was complete control at the expense of patient welfare, to the extent of casual violence for minor misdemeanors with no concern about leaving marks..

I suspect that soldiers are even less well trained than police officers or mental nurses on restraint techniques.

If they are being asked to soften up people for interrogation, and the people resist, accidents are quite likely to happen. I doubt they intended to kill, but thats not much consolation to the dead guys family.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1