Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Husaberg Project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 15:54 - 05 Mar 2007    Post subject: Husaberg Project Reply with quote

Well, some of you may have heard of a motorcycle manufacturer called Husaberg and if you haven't let me introduce you to them.

I don't know a lot about them but have seen their name mentioned a few times on BCF, anyway, the story goes me and a friend have sort of been given a Husaberg FX501 motocross bike to tidy up and play with.

The previous owner left it standing for a year as he didn't have time to ride it. Now, i wasn't expecting an awful lot when we went to see it this afternoon. But jesus, what a machine, Ohlins rear shock Brembo brakes front and back and WP forks!

It's an expensive toy to give away, but the guy's not bothered, he's got a shiny new CRF450 and Ducati S4R. Oh and drives a Porsche Cayenne Turbo to work everyday!

Anyway, pics to come tomorrow in the light, battery's flat and on charge for you all.

Chris

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:01 - 05 Mar 2007    Post subject: Re: Husaberg Project Reply with quote

What year is it?
I've got a Husaberg 2002 501E with SM kit as well.
Pretty decent bike, but not the greatest for reliability (apparently the 2003 was a lot better).

The MX version is probably going to be even worse for reliability, so make sure you keep it well maintained.
There's a Husaberg forum with a load of info, manuals etc around somewhere.

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 17:00 - 05 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno G, judging by the forks alone i'd say it's pre 2000 as they're the right way up not USD.

Anyway i can check the frame number out to find the specific model?

And if you've got a link to that forum it'd be great, cheers Thumbs Up

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 06:24 - 06 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the forum and they're proving to be a helpful bunch, along with a ton of manuals they've written/plagarised Razz

Anyway, here are the pics.

https://img49.imageshack.us/img49/8017/imgp2326ia2.jpg

https://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7171/imgp2327xd4.jpg

Will be ripping the header pipes off and having them blasted and re-chromed.

https://img111.imageshack.us/img111/5539/imgp2331il3.jpg

BOING BOING BOING! Going to have a chat with suspension gurus today to see how much a rebuild will be. No harm in having it done and set up properly for mine and my friend's weight.

https://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5485/imgp2333ry8.jpg

I'm thinking sand blasted and re-paint with red enamel along with white to highlight the brembo logo.

https://img106.imageshack.us/img106/1393/imgp2330hx7.jpg

Tank to be resprayed blue to match the frame and plastics will get treated to a blood red. The seat is going to be re-covered black as well. Twisted Evil

https://img402.imageshack.us/img402/396/imgp2329rc2.jpg

That's all for now.

Chris

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:44 - 06 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, were it me, before you do all the costmetic stuff, I'd get it running and make sure it does run ok when talking for a decent ride - and make sure there's nothing that's going to need to be done to keep it running.
Otherwise you may end up with a very shiny ornament.

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 11:36 - 06 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Otherwise you may end up with a very shiny ornament.

Well that wouldn't be too bad a thing, having a motorbike as an ornament Laughing

No i know what you mean G, so i stripped and cleaned the carb this morning to get all the old shitty petrol out of it and free'd up the cable as well.

All that remains is to check we have a spark, change the oil and coolant and see if it lives.

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 12:29 - 18 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, finally got a result.

Took it to my mates garage for access to proper tools, found out we had a spark but also quite a large quantity of water in the oil sump and carb.

Changed the oil about 4 times to get it all flushed out and changed the plug and it runs!

They stripped the whole engine to dry out any more water and so now it's all being put back together. Not bad for 90 quid.

More pics to come on wednesday when we go to collect and pics of the first desert trip hopefully as well!

Chris
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 45 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1