Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Legislation - a threat to Motorbike Sport

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Steve M
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:55 - 18 Mar 2007    Post subject: New Legislation - a threat to Motorbike Sport Reply with quote

I spotted this in yesterday's Telegraph Motoring section

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...it/mfbike17.xml

Have a look and draw your own conclusions ...

If you think this is a problem then please act on it..

I've written to my MP ...

Charles Clarke clarkec@parliament.uk

"

The Off-Road Vehicles Registration Bill

Mr Clarke,

I am writing on a matter of great concern to all those who ride motorcycles – a significant number of voters.

According to a report in The Daily Telegraph (Saturday 17th March), Graham Stringer's original bill put forward to control unlicensed "mini-motos" is ill-conceived and badly framed, and now covers every type of bike. As a result it is going to have the effect of stopping all aspects of motorcycle sport in the UK; implemented in it's current form it would wipe out motorcycling as we know it; and that represents a large body of (currently) employed people.

What is even worse it is reported that most MP's seem to be confused as to just what is intended and the affect on the industry and many of their constituents.

The bill needs an amendment such as "All vehicles used in a place to which the public have free and open access must be RTA compliant and carry a registration plate, unless they are participating in an Approved Event".

I would very much appreciate your interest and action in this matter.

Yours Steve Xxxxxxx, 22, The Road, Norwich, NR4 9XX. 01603 ######, Mobile 07900 ######

Article refers: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...it/mfbike17.xml "

-------------------

MAG - The Motorcycle Action Group - have this on their website: It is far more comprehensive ... They do suggest that each letter sent should be individual as "standard" letters do not carry the same weight or impact.

I am writing to you to encourage you to vote against Graham Stringer’s private members bill, the off road vehicles (registration) bill. The bill passed its second reading on Friday 2nd March and has been moved to committee stage.

The intention of the bill is to deal with the problem of illegal and anti social mini moto use. These are in effect miniature motorcycles, imported from China, costing in some cases less than £200. They can never be used legally on the road as they do not meet construction and use and other road traffic law requirements.

I wish to make it clear that I do not in any way condone the anti social and illegal use of these machines and I totally sympathise with those individuals and communities whose quality of life is ruined by the irresponsible individuals who use these machines on common land, private grounds and indeed the public highway.

I would like to stress however, that there are sufficient powers in existence for the police and local authorities to take action against this problem. The problems are highly localized, usually in urban areas already suffering from issues of urban deprivation. These localized problems are therefore best dealt with by way of targeted policing combined with multi agency initiatives and local problem solving. There is an excellent ‘good practice’ guide on the Home Office ‘Respect’ web-site which also outlines the success achieved through effective Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnership, ( CDRP), working.

I would highlight that the Motorcycle industry’s figures show that the ‘craze’ for these machines may already be on the wane, during 2006 imports fell by 59% over the previous year.

There are already 12 laws in existence which are available to deal with this problem and which are being used to good effect. Most notable being Section 143 and Section 165A of the Road Traffic Act 1988 which gives the police the powers to seize vehicles they believe are being used without insurance. Section 59 of the Police Reform Act of 2003 allows the police to seize and crush motor vehicles which are being used in an anti social manner.

What is most concerning about the Bill is that it does not differentiate between any of the vehicle types and places where they may be used. In its current form the following sections of the law abiding community will be affected;

Farmers who use quad bikes as an essential tool for their job
Forestry workers
Theme Park workers
Council workers
Legitimate motor sports being conducted under Auto Cycle Union and other governing body rules and regulations which have stood the test of time for many decades, e.g. Trials riding, Grass tracking, Speedway, Moto Cross, Enduro and road racing on purpose built circuits and closed roads such as the Isle of Man TT races.

If the scheme were to be implemented the cost to the tax payer, who would have to fund the systems the DVLA would need to set up the scheme, would be astronomical. There are already problems within the DVLA where driving licence entitlements have been lost and any confidence that a robust scheme could be put into effect is significantly undermined.

These costs could be put to much better use targeting areas of social deprivation through the ‘Respect Agenda’ and targeting the problems where they exist using available resources.

In closing I urge you to vote against this bill. It will not eradicate the problem it is intended to tackle. Instead it would penalize legitimate users off road vehicles who are socially responsible and law abiding. It would place a mill stone of bureaucracy on legitimate motor sports which are already adequately managed. It would create a huge administrative burden and waste scarce financial resources which could be better targeted to the improvement of the quality of life of our communities and which would eradicate this problem using existing resources and existing powers.

Please ensure that your name and address are included as this will add weight.

Last edited by Steve M on 08:05 - 19 Mar 2007; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 18 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

So race bikes should have a V5 and number plate? Whats the big deal?

Steve M
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:14 - 18 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
So race bikes should have a V5 and number plate? Whats the big deal?

ROFLPML ....

Laughing

What concerns me is that you might be serious ... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve M
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:39 - 18 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit ... WTD decided to delete his entry while I was replying ... so this comment appears out of synch. Ooops

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Quote:
There is absolutely no exemption, and the DVLA in Swansea insists that a registration mark can only be issued to an RTA-compliant vehicle. So whether it is Valentino Rossi's 2007 MotoGP Yamaha or a classic racer, an Edwardian museum exhibit or a gold-plated custom show bike, the proposals mean it will have to be fitted with number plates and made RTA-compliant or face confiscation and destruction.

Yeah, no numberplate = destruction as does the fate of all minimotos.

The WRC cars have always had plates and been 'road' legal as parts of their courses involve the public highways fair enough, so whay the big arms up in the air for this one?

What part of this law will affect you and made you postand lobby against it?

It will kill club racing, trials, supercross, motocross, speedway at a stroke.

The WRC item is a huge red herring - so do Enduro bikes ... You forgot to mention F1 / BTCC / Banger racing / stock-car racing Etc. ... How ridiculous (likely) would it be for them to have V5's and RTA registration?

At the highest level, are the work's MotoGP / WSB / BSB teams really going to register every frame and go through the beaurocracy ... When a bike's crashed in practice and the frame is replaced on race-day, then wait how long for Swansea?

At the lowest level amateurs compete on a budget with bikes costing from a few hundred pounds - the additional cost and effort involved would be disproportionate.

But most of all: What a waste of my money. Re-read the article. The legislation adds nothing to the statute book, but will incur considerable costs to the tax payer (me and, I guess, you)...

Existing legislation is more than enough to deal with the problem, and the resources wasted on this could be better used on something useful ...

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 18 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine the MotoGP bikes with them! Laughing

V 46 YAM etc.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:29 - 18 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, how will it effect minimotos for those that do use them properly?

It's likely to kill of a lot of the serious use of minimotos which has been around a long time before the cheap chinese ones.

Minimotos and pee-wee motocross are the way that a large number of future champions start their careers.

This legislation isn't going to massively help stop those that illegaly use vehicles - as they won't be displaying plates anyway. Those that do legally and sensibly use bikes off road are going to be seriously inconvenienced which could see the death of the majority of bike based motorsport in the UK over some time.

Not only is this something that I enjoy participating in, but it's something that I believe brings a lot of money in to the UK.
BSS is used as a 'stepping stone' to bigger things for many riders from other countries never mind the many international competitions with rounds held in this country.

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 19 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letter sent to my MP. It's 'been received and will be replied to as soon as possible'.

If you don't know who your MP is (I didn't! Embarassed Laughing ) just go to BBC news politics section and enter your postcode in the 'Find your MP' box on the right.

Lets get this nonsense scrapped.

Mudskipper Mr. Green

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 19 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, this is a BIG FUCKIN DEAL, how can no-one have posted since I did at 20 past 2?!??!

We need to sort this out, it's a slippery slope till politicians STOP US RIDING altogether!!!

Come on guys, ditch the apathy and stand up for what you believe in!!!!

Mudskipper Mr. Green

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 20:01 - 19 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudskipper wrote:

Mudskipper Mr. Green

Topless jelly wrestling?

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 19 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Mudskipper wrote:

Mudskipper Mr. Green

Topless jelly wrestling?

Pictures? Razz

Steve M
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:17 - 19 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Mudskipper wrote:

Mudskipper Mr. Green

Topless jelly wrestling?

Part of me feels I ought to stand up for that... or is that I think that part of me should stand up for that? I forget ... it's an age thing Embarassed

Blackwolf
Burgerfist

PostPosted: 21:27 - 19 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but think about it it will be the police who have to enforce it, do you think that they will pull over a moto GP bike in a race for not having a regestation plate Laughing

Police wont enforce it Thumbs Up
and it wont stop chavs on mini motos Thumbs Down

Wolf

king kong
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:56 - 20 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth noting also is that even vintage bikes in museums would be deemed as illegal and therefore confiscated because they do not comply with the Off Road vehicles registration Bill, ie not having a liscence plate.
Vintage bike racing would be affected because these old bikes would have to display a plate, affecting their performance, asthetics etc.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:00 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I hate legislation with a passion, I also HATE mini motos.

They are the worst abomination to come within the precepts of motorcycling.

They are causing more anti bike feeling amongst the general public than anything associated with biking that I can think of.

Every mini moto should be crushed Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:40 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Not a fan of bike racing then?

A lot of national class racers who may move up to be 'representing' the UK in world class racing start with minimotos.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:47 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Not a fan of bike racing then?

A lot of national class racers who may move up to be 'representing' the UK in world class racing start with minimotos.

I love bike racing, but I hate mini motos (in the hands of the idiots).

Just read an article in the telegraph so I have to completely take a back pedal. It sounds the most stupid law to be proposed for years!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml;jsessionid=VG5BKKTB00U0DQFIQMFCFF4AVCBQYIV0?xml=/motoring/2007/03/17/nosplit/mfbike17.xml

Last edited by Polarbear on 09:58 - 21 Mar 2007; edited 1 time in total

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Not to mention a certain Valentino Rossi...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:53 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure characters like 'Foggy' did a lot for the popularity of biking to the general public at the time.

MarkJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an e-petition against the proposed law:
https://petitions.pm.gov.uk/mini-motos/

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed!

Thats an absolute joke of an bill. I doubt it will ever pass in the state it is now, unless the description of the bill is narrowed!!

Rolling Eyes

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed.

My trackbike has recently been sold, but that law would mean that the poor bloke who bought it could end up having it crushed... Evil or Very Mad

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 19:02 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudskipper wrote:
Pictures? Razz

Yes please Very Happy

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 28 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Topless jelly wrestling?

Why would you want to wrestle jelly?

Zen Dog

P.S. Signed!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1