Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike Parking Charges

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

gsy67
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 25 Feb 2007    Post subject: Bike Parking Charges Reply with quote

Hello to you all.
If you are not aware of this, then you should be.
It's taken from the Government Website which caused all the FUSS in the media over road charging in the past few weeks.

The link for the WEBSITE is at the bottom of this piece.
Sign this petition.

Local councils increasingly see motorcyclists as money spinners. Charging for motorbike parking goes against the Government’s stated policy of reducing congestion and increasing environmental awareness.

Those who use two wheels liberate space for essential four wheeled traffic, especially in busy urban areas, so everyone enjoys a knock-on benefit from those who choose to ride a bike.

Motorbikes are more efficient and produce less harmful emissions than other forms of motorized transport.

Charging for bike parking will impact most on those least able to pay, pricing essential workers out of already expensive urban areas, especially in London and other UK cities.

Please Mr Blair, don’t allow local councils to charge motorbikes for parking, but urge them to take a holistic view of this issue and recognize the economic benefits of reduced congestion in the best interests of all the UK’s city dwellers.

Let me know what you think.

https://petitions.pm.gov.uk/FreeBikeParking

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 23:28 - 25 Feb 2007    Post subject: Re: Bike Parking Charges Reply with quote

gsy67 wrote:

I going to start an online petition to try and outlaw online petitions.

Weedy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 25 Feb 2007    Post subject: Re: Bike Parking Charges Reply with quote

[quote="gsy67]Motorbikes are more efficient and produce less harmful emissions than other forms of motorized transport.[/quote]

....and americanised spelling!

samharcus
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:41 - 26 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm British, but have Americanized spelling? And accent *blushes*

It's not my fault, though!! Over-exposure to colonials! Wink

Sam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:14 - 26 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

another nothing can be done about it , you get 58 million people to sign the government will ignore it , this may force me onto suitcase monkey bike , which means less fuel duty/insurance/road tax for the government,

try tax me some more? , I'll cut down so you get even less tax than before,
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sapphire
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:18 - 27 Feb 2007    Post subject: How we Ozzies stopped being MADE to pay: Reply with quote

I have NO idea what its like over there, but here in Oz, (Victoria) Bike are allowed to park on the Footpath, as long as you do NOT impede pedestrian traffic.. ie: parallel to the kerb ... sometime ago there was a push by council/Road Transport dept to make it illegal and FORCE bikes to use the pay per hour parking meters ... a biking association here arranged for/requested bikes to take up meter space on a Thursday in the MAIN St of Melbourne,
..SHORT VERSION: over 1500 turned up at 6.30 am and took up EVERY space in multi CBD blocks.. as the meters are 1 hour they all moved one space on the hour, ...HAVOC REIGNED SUPREME ...
CANNOT work out WHY we can STILL park on the footpath ?? Very Happy Very Happy Wink Very Happy Very Happy ...

Do NOT know IF you could arrange it over there BUT, the idea/thought has been planted Cool ..
GO FOR IT

.Sapphi.

T100Rlover
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:33 - 02 Apr 2007    Post subject: Re: Bike Parking Charges Reply with quote

Weedy wrote:
[quote="gsy67]Motorbikes are more efficient and produce less harmful emissions than other forms of motorized transport.

....and americanised spelling![/quote]

If you're talking about motorized instead of motorised, the "Z" isn't Americanized........

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 12:51 - 02 Apr 2007    Post subject: Re: Bike Parking Charges Reply with quote

gsy67 wrote:
Motorbikes are more efficient and produce less harmful emissions than other forms of motorized transport.

no they aren't...

a bike will still do a similar MPG to many cars, but only be able to carry a max of 2 people.

Where they MAY be more efficient is in heavy traffic, as they don't sit spewing exhaust gases out while stuck.

What bikes DO offer is reduced congestion, but efficiency has nothing to do with that

a

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:56 - 03 Apr 2007    Post subject: Re: Bike Parking Charges Reply with quote

gsy67 wrote:
Sign this petition.

No, just because you used bold and underlined. Wink

gs5pete
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:33 - 03 Apr 2007    Post subject: Re: Bike Parking Charges Reply with quote

feef wrote:
gsy67 wrote:

no they aren't...

a bike will still do a similar MPG to many cars, but only be able to carry a max of 2 people.

Where they MAY be more efficient is in heavy traffic, as they don't sit spewing exhaust gases out while stuck.

What bikes DO offer is reduced congestion, but efficiency has nothing to do with that

a

yep but depends on the bike. "Like for like", i.e. commuter bike like my gs500, bmw f650, gpz305 etc, lots will do 65mpg+. Then there's 100mpg+ cg125s. There are very few cars that'll do 65mpg+ in normal driving.
bikes are marginally more fuel efficient and the Euro-3 regs means new ones will spew out less nos too.
but the main thing is, like you say, they need far less room on the roads (fewer new roads need to be built), use up less energy in manufacture, use less energy to dispose of them etc etc

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 05 Apr 2007    Post subject: Re: Bike Parking Charges Reply with quote

feef wrote:
gsy67 wrote:

no they aren't...

My car gives less than 30mpg. My bike gives more than 50. Regardless of how many seats each has, they're normally only transporting me.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 11 Apr 2007    Post subject: Re: Bike Parking Charges Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
gsy67 wrote:
Sign this petition.

No, just because you used bold and underlined. Wink

Yes me too

magpiemale
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:50 - 21 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here my vauxhaull zafira automatic does 30-33mpg on a run where as my z750s will return me anywhere from 45mpg and above I drove 140miles put in 10litres of fuel now I could not do that in the car.But I do think bikes as a whole should be made with extra miles in view rather than speed or ultimate power.As I have always said you want a speed bike use it on the track road bikes are road bikes so I would give up 20-30miles top end to have better fuel return as long as I have overtaking grunt.Manufacturers sell their bikes and advertise them for speed and track use but many will be just used on the road even the new zx6r bike they refered it as a trophy winner,but who will buy them road riding bikers who maybe will use it twice a year on the track,maybe!

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 21 Apr 2007    Post subject: Re: Bike Parking Charges Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
gsy67 wrote:

I going to start an online petition to try and outlaw online petitions.

Where do I sign?

Can we have a re-post on that one too please? Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1