Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Castle Combe...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 18:20 - 13 Sep 2003    Post subject: Castle Combe... Reply with quote

Just some pictures from a track day at Castle Combe. Might get a video up if I can encode it to a small enough file...

https://www.tin3d.com/images/cbr/combe1.jpg

https://www.tin3d.com/images/cbr/combe2.jpg

https://www.tin3d.com/images/cbr/combe3.jpg

https://www.tin3d.com/images/cbr/combe4.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:24 - 13 Sep 2003    Post subject: Re: Castle Combe... Reply with quote

Nice. I can host video if bandwidth is required.

Though... 'HANG OFF MORE'. The bike physics work a lot better when you're hanging off. I've actually found a redflagged lap sitting on the bike a lot more scary than a going-for-it lap hanging off properly Exclamation.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:29 - 13 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the physics worked better if you didn't hang off - there was a feature in ride and in mcn a while back, The centre of gravity is closer to the centre if you don't hang off, so its working more down on the tyres than sideways. Less wind resistance too.

Chills
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:30 - 13 Sep 2003    Post subject: Re: Castle Combe... Reply with quote

G wrote:
Though... 'HANG OFF MORE'. The bike physics work a lot better when you're hanging off...

Shit - don't show him any pictures of ME then...
Compared to my sad efforts, Tin is practically laying on the track! Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 13 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually hanging off slows you down, as more thinking is envolved, but if it comes naturally and used to it i doubt its gonna slow you down that much, but pushing your weight over does help when leaning round a corner!

nice pics btw, just missing the pipe mate! Wink

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 18:33 - 13 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pics there, definitely going for the 'stealth' look Smile

I saw a feature in MCN with Ron Haslam telling how the bike's suspension works better with the riding hanging off in-line with the bike Confused

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 18:35 - 13 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only tend to hang off when going round short/fast corners/bends, i.e. chicanes. And the fact that I hadn't worn my leather jeans since Dyno Day didn't help with any knee down attempts. </excuse> Razz

https://www.tin3d.com/images/cbr/tyre.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:09 - 13 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an article in some mag a while ago that showed the way the CoG worked...
If you're sat upright the force should be going through the centre of the tyre, this is all well and good when upright, but when the contact patch with the ground is on the side of the tyre the force is actually pushing past the contact patch.
That and vehicles generally turn better when they've got a lower/closer to the centre of the turnign point CoG I believe.

I'll be there at cadwell to poke at you though Razz
(/me sticks spikes that flip up when leant over on tin's seat Razz )

Oh, and generally you want to be hung off /before/ the corner, that way you don't unsettle the bike, in the same manner you want to be out of the corner before you climb back on. Doing it like this you shouldn't really have to 'think' about it.

Beezkneez
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:14 - 13 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont forget fellas....turning a bike also involves Centrifugal forces aswell....so hangin off combats these Very Happy

Bazza

Mrs_Hippy
The Pink Lady

PostPosted: 20:45 - 13 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin you really are starting to look like that 80's all in black bike avenger guy. What was it Street hawk?...

Beezkneez
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:04 - 13 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is Ghostrider in disguise Laughing

Bazza

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 21:33 - 13 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beezkneez wrote:
He is Ghostrider in disguise Laughing

No mate, Ghostrider can ride fast. Razz Neutral Confused Sad

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:34 - 13 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good disguise then Razz.

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 10:08 - 15 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality pics TiN. Very Happy
Didn't we decide that leathers matching your bike made you a tart? Wink
Looks like you had fun, was that your first track day then, or have you done more?

R6_Babe
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:27 - 15 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might have been asked i couldnt be asred to read all the replys!

but how come ya lights were not taped or covered to prevent glass on traxx should you crash....?

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 15 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

because on all new 2003 onwards lights stay on and cant be turned off, unless you make your own mod...

not all tracks require you to tape up lights and mirrors etc...

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 12:10 - 15 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiN wrote:
I only tend to hang off when going round short/fast corners/bends, i.e. chicanes. And the fact that I hadn't worn my leather jeans since Dyno Day didn't help with any knee down attempts. </excuse> Razz

Wuss! Razz

Mind you, I can see where you're coming from. I wouldn't want to drop that bike either Shocked

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 12:30 - 15 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6_Babe wrote:
but how come ya lights were not taped or covered to prevent glass on traxx should you crash....?

Who said that I was going to crash? Wink As TJ said, it wasn't a requirement, so I didn't bother.

Stew wrote:
Didn't we decide that leathers matching your bike made you a tart? Wink

Only if you had red leathers to match a red bike. Razz Wink Besides, I bought the bike to match my leathers. Smile

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 12:33 - 15 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
TJ NSR wrote:
because on all new 2003 onwards lights stay on and cant be turned off, unless you make your own mod...

not all tracks require you to tape up lights and mirrors etc...

err read her post again TJ Question

I read in MCN (calfifornia race school bloke) and it says haging off in a corner is better Razz

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 13:03 - 15 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiN wrote:

Besides, I bought the bike to match my leathers. Smile

Thats exactly what I did. I had to buy 3 bikes before I got one that matched Razz

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 15 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

well read it agoin luke, i said leaning over does help round a corner, anyway i undersatnd ehat tin is saying, i took my RR on track after a week of having it with 300miles on the clock, and was hesitant to get me knee down but in the second session i gave it some and the fear went away! depends if you got balls or if you give a shit.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:19 - 17 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanging off good. Rossi (et al) hangs off...

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case.

Actually the article in BIKE said that if you rode a 1970's CBX1000 or something then you don't need to hang off, but modern sportsbike geometry means that the bike doesn't work properly if you don't hang off. Its not just to do with CofG but also contact patch on the wider tyres and the way the forces travel through the suspension and frame. Or something. I'm only passing on what I read.

Also gives you confidence in my personal experience.

I need to learn which of the relays under my seat I need to pull to turn my headlight off-> trackdays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:35 - 17 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to cadwell then... I'll have some wire clippers there as a last resort Very Happy

(oh, and welcome to the forum btw Wink )

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 11:36 - 17 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK there's not much gained or lost by hanging off, but you'll not GYKD without hanging it. And as this helps you guage how far the bike's over and stops you scraping the pegs Rolling Eyes it can only be a good thing. The more you lean the better you turn, so you need to get the bike over as far as it will go to take a fast corner.
I found I couldn't get the bike anywhere near as far over without hanging off, it just wanted to stay upright!

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 14:58 - 17 Sep 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afaik, the main advantage of hanging off is that you can keep the bike more upright at any given speed. By doing this, the contact patch of your tyres is likely to be larger. In the wet this is even more important. Imo by hanging off you decrease the change of the bike flipping outwards from the corner, as you are weighting the inside of the bike.

When I have been at track days, hanging off as much as I possibly can and a session has been stopped, I tend to then sit upright on the bike. Even at the lower speeds as I cruise round before coming in, the bike feels a lot less stable round the corners. By hanging of I also tend to find I can lean forward a bit more than if I was sitting on the seat, this weights the front end more and imo means It grips a bit better and give slightly more feedback. It also means that your weight is well forward, so that when you get of the power nice and early coming out of the corner the front wheel will hopefully stay on the ground as you scramble back onto the tank.

Knee down is an important way of judging lean angle but by no means crucial part of taking a corner fast, what you want to be doing is getting your knee down, picking it up and then leaning a bit more. Mr. Green

I haven't read the BIKE article, but from my own experience I don't believe anyone who says that hanging off will not make you faster round any type of corner on a modern sportsbike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 216 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2