Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Isle of Man

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Skeniver
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 12 Mar 2007    Post subject: The Isle of Man Reply with quote

Hey there

I am going to the Isle of Man for the TT later this year. I got the ferry tickets, but am battling to find accomodation.

I was wondering if anyone had any hints and tips. I was considering a one man tent, pitched in a field somewhere? Does this sound like a viable option?

Also, is it easy enough to ride around the island to get to various good viewing points? I am just not sure if we are allowed on the track and therefore if I will be able to get to where I want to watch from.

Anyone from Reading making the trip up this year???

Thanks a lot
Neil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 12 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get to a lot of the vantage points when the roads are closed.

as for camping I'm planning on winging it when I get there. Thumbs Up

Skeniver
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 12 Mar 2007    Post subject: Camping Reply with quote

Well as long as I am not the only one without a plan, then I dont feel so bad. Just take a small tent and crap like that... Baby wipes for bathing. heh heh

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Trixie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of campsites around the course and elsewhere. However, you know that this year is the centenary - there are already more than double the normal amount of bikes coming over, and you may struggle to find accommodation if you just wing it.

Here's a few sites for you to have a look at:

https://www.isleofman.com/accommodation/
https://www.gov.im/tourism/
https://www.iomguide.com/
https://www.iomtt.com/ (check out the forum for accommodation)
https://www.ttwebsite.com/ (as above)

As far as the TT course itself goes, it's a normal public road, so when the racing isn't on, you can ride on that road as much as you want to. There are lots of good vantage points round the course, but given that they close the roads to race, there are some that you may be stuck at until they open the roads.

If you need any more info, drop me a PM. I live on the Island, so can tell you whatever you need to know. BTW Skeniver, I hail from Reading (small world), so can give you the easiest route to the ferry if you need. Thumbs Up

dangerous minnie
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 17 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm off to the TT this year, booked into the 'tt village' campsite where all equipment is provided, aven't been before so a little nervous but soooo excited!!

Trixie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 28 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up for you guys coming over for the TT. If you don't already know, the mountain section of the course (from Ramsey Hairpin to the Creg) is being made one way for the whole 2 weeks. If you want to travel north, you either have to follow the course round through Kirk Michael, or you use the Douglas - Ramsey coast road.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 29 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trixie wrote:
Just a heads up for you guys coming over for the TT. If you don't already know, the mountain section of the course (from Ramsey Hairpin to the Creg) is being made one way for the whole 2 weeks. If you want to travel north, you either have to follow the course round through Kirk Michael, or you use the Douglas - Ramsey coast road.

Dance! woohoo!!

Chappy96
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:47 - 05 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trixie wrote:

Had my tickets booked for over a year now, and when I found this out earlier in the year, it was the icing on the cake......it's going to be so much fun!! Very Happy

Trixie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 09 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is bad news I'm afraid, for those of you insured with either Bennetts or Norwich Union.

It appears that both companies will NOT provide cover for bikes on the 1-way section of the TT course between Ramsey Hairpin and the Creg. It's apparently because making the road 1 way turns it from a normal highway into a racetrack.

EDIT: it's only this particular stretch of road - other roads are not affected and you will be covered as per normal.

A bit galling when you consider that Bennetts are sponsoring one of the TT races this year. Mad

I've just heard this reported on the local radio station. I can't find anything on the net, so I've called them up to verify the story. They tell me that it's in this week's MCN (but I can't find anything on that site either).

Those of you insured with the above and coming over on your bikes this TT may want to call your insurer to check your cover....

EDIT #2: www.three.fm now have this report posted on their site:
Quote:
Posted on 09 May, 2007
Thousands of bikers heading to the island for this years centenary TT have been dealt a blow – just weeks before the event starts.

Two major insurers, Norwich Union and Bennett’s are refusing to cover bikers between Ramsey Hairpin and Creg ny Baa.

One of the main backers is Honda – Bob McMillan is one of their consultants: "I think Honda is insured by Norwich so it would mean that all our cars and motorcycles would not be able to ride over that section of the road during the fortnight at all."

Bennetts say because the road is one way, it’s classed as a racetrack and not covered: "I think they're just nitpicking there. The alterations are a few coned off areas. If necessary the tourist board could take them away and make it just the same way as it was. To say that makes it a racetrack is pathetic."

But is this the end of the TT? Charlie Williams is a nine times TT winner: "I've always suspected if the TT was going to suffer it would be legislation rather than lack of enthusiasm that would see the end of the TT but I dont think we should be too pessimistic at this stage."

kestrel
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:08 - 09 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that this subject was raised a couple of weeks ago on the TT forum following an article in that well known source of bogroll, Motor Crap News.

Hopefully the Manx government will step in and clarify the situation regarding the use of the mountain road, which in all essence remains a public highway with a temporary one way restriction on which the road traffic act still applies.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2007/April/apr23-30/apr2607bikersnotinsuredformadsunday/?&R=EPI-90816

sagalout
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 02:44 - 10 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly - Its just a one way road, not a racetrack. I'd like to see it tested in law - I'd assume they will need to send every policyholder an amendment to their terms.

Glad I'm not with either of them or I'd be on the phone playing hell.

Trixie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 10 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Have a look at https://www.manxradio.com/readItem.aspx?ID=12428&cate=General. It appears that both Bennetts and NU are denying the claims, and saying that MCN are "irresponsible" for running the story!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1